The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
9/18/17 10:53 a.m.
Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
9/18/17 11:10 a.m.

In reply to The_Jed :

If it's in Pekin he's probably full of meth. 

SaltyDog
SaltyDog New Reader
9/18/17 11:24 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

WOW!

Pekin's reputation reaches all the way to Mississippi??

Just something else to be proud of in Central Illinois!

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
9/18/17 11:26 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

That is entirely possible and very probable. laugh

I've googled a bit and come up empty as far as an actual Talladega edition Thunderbird is concerned. Maybe a particular dealer had some sort of custom deal going for a while?

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UberDork
9/18/17 11:47 a.m.

That's a rather unattractive schnoz it has.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
9/18/17 12:41 p.m.

In reply to SaltyDog :

After spending  few years living in Pekin myself, it's definitely the armpit of the state, which is, in itself an armpit. Are you local as well? 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/18/17 1:05 p.m.

Looks like a dealer  package for southern dealers after the "big win" in Talladega in 1985...

SaltyDog
SaltyDog New Reader
9/18/17 1:10 p.m.

In reply to The_Jed :

Yup.

East Peoria.

You?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
9/18/17 4:00 p.m.

In reply to SaltyDog :

I spent a lot of time in Pekin years ago...got thrown out of Peoria once too. 

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
9/18/17 10:33 p.m.

In reply to SaltyDog :

Canton.

Moved here from Pekin just over a year ago. 

laugh

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
9/19/17 8:58 a.m.

There are Still a Few 'Bill Elliot' T- birds around here but nothing with that Nose.   I would like to see some Paper on that one, But not looking for one.

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
9/19/17 11:58 a.m.

Found one on Hemmings. It makes no mention of being a special model.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2015/02/17/hemmings-find-of-the-day-1986-ford-thunderbird-elan/

Bruce

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
9/21/17 11:46 a.m.

In reply to SaltyDog :

In the "Work Rant:People are stupid" thread you mentioned you were a mechanic for 10 years and a machinist for 27. 

I didn't want to hijack that one so I'll ask here; where did you work as a machinist, if you don't mind me asking? Was it the same company  for all 27 years?

SaltyDog
SaltyDog New Reader
9/21/17 1:05 p.m.

In reply to The_Jed :

Performance Pattern and Machine in Peoria.

Started with no experience, was the shop foreman when I left.  How about you? 

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
9/21/17 11:35 p.m.

In reply to SaltyDog :

Up here in Central Illinois the first job I landed was at Horton Trucking in Tremont. From there I went to Excel Foundry and Machine and entered their machinist training program. I was there for about 5 years and learned a lot about machining and programming. In search of better pay I shotgunned out a bunch of resumes and landed at Komatsu. 

I was at Komatsu for about a year then I was laid off along with several hundred other saps. 

I am now at Keystone. 

Cooter
Cooter HalfDork
9/22/17 6:48 a.m.

The nose and other pieces were made by Bill Kolb Jr's Spoilers Plus.  

SaltyDog
SaltyDog New Reader
9/22/17 8:37 a.m.

In reply to The_Jed :

Familiar with all of them except Horton.

Komatsu has always been up and down going all the way back to the Wabco days. I had an offer to go to there about 25 years ago, but they told me I'd most likely be on 2nd or 3rd for the rest of my life. Or until I got laid off, which was more likely! And it was for less money than I was already making. Not a tough decision to pass on the offer. Are you on swing shift at Keystone? I think that would be rough.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
9/22/17 10:25 a.m.

In reply to SaltyDog :

I worked swing shift for the first 2.5 years and that thoroughly sucked. I was in the wire mill machine shop. They called it "relief schedule", it was a strategy they employed to have someone in the shop 24/7 without paying everyone overtime. I can't say I blame them for trying to save money but it was terrible. As the bottom guy I was basically on call whenever there was a need, if I answered the phone I was either working or I'd be written up. It seemed like regardless of whether you worked 16 hours or 8 hours, you were only allowed to leave the shop for 8 hours at a time. The pay kept me coming back. laugh  

I transferred to the Rod Mill in April of last year as a Roll Repairman (I turn and grind the rolls, rebuild the roll stand housings, etc.) and will be on 2nd shift for probably the next 5 years at least. It is MUCH better in the Rod Mill. It's like a completely different company! 

That's funny about your offer, it was the opposite for me. When I applied and interviewed at Komatsu, then put in my two week notice, the shop where I was working asked why I was leaving and where I was going, asking me to reconsider. When I mentioned I landed a job at Komatsu they said, "Well, we can't compete with their pay and benefits."

I still have $10 in an account at the Haulpak credit union. LOL

SaltyDog
SaltyDog New Reader
9/22/17 12:11 p.m.

Hey, with interest, that $10 might be $10.05 in a few years! smileyUnless they start charging for an inactive account.....angry

I have to say, pay was never an issue at ppm. Lots and lots of hours and after moving to the office, lots and lots of stress. And still lots of hours.

chada75
chada75 Reader
10/1/17 9:00 p.m.

My Great Uncle has a tan one that he bought new and still owns today.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
10/2/17 8:39 p.m.

But gains extra points for "If you ain't first, your last"...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bhZuWPlDup5t0by8Lif9l9HgS7kwC8S8OR0ocC5NKBZE1hmuiYbrixBp2CblVBwt