schumithecat
schumithecat Reader
9/5/17 10:02 a.m.

Miata FS. 5 speed, 1991 Miata with 1.8 engine swap. I swapped 1.8 from a running 135k miles car. Engine sounds good if you hold revs at 2k + rpm (see video) but I can't get it to hold idle and it is making low power when I drove it around block. I think timing is #$# up but not sure and and I lost interest in working on it. Body good, paint bad. Bigger 1.8 front brakes (new stainless lines, new Hawk HP+ pads, new discs, new calipers). Headers and test pipe installed. Spare trans and 1.6 engine with broken crank nose included (crank is $100 on ebay). Many new/recent parts (inner tie rods, all-season tires, timing belt, water pump, all coolant hoses, etc.). Aftermarket aluminum radiator. Power steering, heater core, and a/c deleted to reduce weight.  $1,000 firm without hardtop, $1750 firm w/ hardtop. Car is in New Orleans. 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/LD3YCQ2p6Bk

schumithecat
schumithecat Reader
9/7/17 10:01 a.m.
schumithecat
schumithecat Reader
9/13/17 10:56 a.m.

update...I bit the bullet and ate huge OMV fees to get clean title in my name. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
9/13/17 12:19 p.m.

was the timing belt just done?

Bet it is off a tooth.  Did that on mine and while you could drive it, it would hardly accelerate at all. 

I would be interested, but its way to far from me. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/13/17 1:14 p.m.

gaahh.. really interested in a non rusted hardtop miata.

schumithecat
schumithecat Reader
9/13/17 1:19 p.m.
I did replace timing belt while engine was out and it was the first time I've done one.  I think other possibilities are the throttle position sensor or a clogged fuel filter. I remembered a few more new things it has - new clutch master & slave, crank seal, cam seals. I'm going to try replacing fuel filter. 
Apexcarver said:

was the timing belt just done?

Bet it is off a tooth.  Did that on mine and while you could drive it, it would hardly accelerate at all. 

I would be interested, but its way to far from me. 

yupididit
yupididit Dork
9/16/17 2:59 p.m.

I'd love that hardtop lol

schumithecat
schumithecat Reader
10/3/17 10:32 a.m.

update.... a guy on a local miata board volunteered to help. He confirmed I didn't get the timing belt right and redid it. Car running much better now. I am probably going to keep it now.  

TiggerWelder
TiggerWelder Reader
10/3/17 3:44 p.m.

I figured this, and the result is what makes me love this site!  Rather than capitalize on your misfortune, folks were trying to help!  If you ever do another timing belt, get the ninja tool, you won't regret it, and a forum regular makes them I think.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
10/3/17 4:09 p.m.
schumithecat said:

update.... a guy on a local miata board volunteered to help. He confirmed I didn't get the timing belt right and redid it. Car running much better now. I am probably going to keep it now. 

WELL THANKS A LOT!! 

schumithecat
schumithecat Reader
10/3/17 6:13 p.m.

In reply to TiggerWelder :

thanks I have the ninja tool but it didn't help here because I took the cam gears off to replace the seals. 

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
10/3/17 6:41 p.m.

In case you do it again, install the ninja tool then ziptie it to the cam gears through the four holes. Then you can take them both off together and put them on with it still in time. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6bi8d8RR9EpvFnAEnK5itwfQHRnHW1bdTpSBjIAxVj0Q7iUP4JwtU7o9GRHdzag2