JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
4/27/17 11:59 p.m.

The fuel pump in this car went out about 8 years ago and the previous owner never fixed it. I don't know if the engine is seized or not (will check this weekend).

I thought someone might want this as the start to a challenge car, or a cool street car even. I think there's enough "stuff" on the car to sell off that you could easily zero it out and still have plenty of car left - I'd love to see this thing go to the challenge with a cool engine swap.

Car has ~140k on it and is quite free of rust. However, it has sat outside for some time.

Has glass sunroof, power windows, cruise, un-cracked dash.

Rear "TOYOTA" visor, antenna, and front lip not included, sorry (need them for my '85).

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
4/28/17 2:44 a.m.

Just be sure you know how to remove the rear visor correctly.
First step, remove INTERIOR window trim to expose the visor mounting bolts. Unbolt with deep well 8mm socket.
They are now too rare to see another be ruined by tugging at it from the outside and then separating the plastic from the metal channel.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
4/28/17 3:16 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Thanks. Yep I have the factory manual so I did it correctly.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
4/28/17 8:11 a.m.

Btw, the other thread is a different car, not a double post mistake.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
4/28/17 10:20 a.m.

Thanks for the clarification on the two different cars thing. I was confused, and thought you double posted, but then the details were slightly different. How'd you find not one, but two fairly clean looking 86 MR-2 automatics? Any additional pictures? I imagine the auto is a real buzz kill, but maybe not a bad idea for a new driver. Well maybe an MR-2 is not a smart choice for a new driver anyway?

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
4/28/17 11:05 a.m.

these are REALLY ready for k20/k24+auto swaps, or even j30/j35+auto. If you go with auto you should be able to stay under challenge budget easy.

300hp would be fun in a rust free mr2 even with the auto, in fact, the taller 1-2 gearing might be a bonus in autox situations.

...just saying...

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
4/28/17 11:59 a.m.
Robbie wrote: these are REALLY ready for k20/k24+auto swaps, or even j30/j35+auto. If you go with auto you should be able to stay under challenge budget easy. 300hp would be fun in a rust free mr2 even with the auto, in fact, the taller 1-2 gearing might be a bonus in autox situations. ...just saying...

Thank you. Someone take Robbie's advice!

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
4/28/17 12:00 p.m.

I'm posting the other car into this thread, because everyone's going to assume I double posted when looking at the thread list. My mistake...

I was going to sell this to Billy Bottle Caps as a running & driving car, but the head gasket turned out to be blown. It will run and drive on to a trailer no problem.

I thought someone might want this as the start to a challenge car, or a cool street car even. I think there's enough "stuff" on the car to sell off that you could easily zero it out and still have plenty of car left - I'd love to see this thing go to the challenge with a cool engine swap.

Car has 92k on it and is quite free of rust. However, it has sat outside for some time.

Has glass sunroof, power windows, cruise, un-cracked dash, recent off-brand tires, recent muffler.

Rear "TOYOTA" visor not included, sorry, and it doesn't come with a battery.

If you washed the thing it would look pretty decent from this side, but the opposite side rear 1/4 has the clear falling off:

To make it drive-able again it needs a head gasket, alternator, and battery.

$575.

Both cars could be parted out very profitably.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
4/28/17 12:05 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: Thanks for the clarification on the two different cars thing. I was confused, and thought you double posted, but then the details were slightly different. How'd you find not one, but two fairly clean looking 86 MR-2 automatics? Any additional pictures? I imagine the auto is a real buzz kill, but maybe not a bad idea for a new driver. Well maybe an MR-2 is not a smart choice for a new driver anyway?

The guy who I bought my "nice one" from had these two other ones. He (his wife) was tired of looking at them, and I ended up buying both. My plan was to sell the running & driving one to get my money back, then take parts I wanted off the other one, part the rest out, and scrap it. But the running one ended up having a bad head gasket, so now I'm just trying to purge both of them minus a few things I need.

It would be pretty cool to have both of these dueling at the challenge.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
4/28/17 12:15 p.m.

If a moderator could delete my other thread, and add "Choice of Two" to this thread's title...

I'm working on getting more pics up but my FTP program died...

Ashyukun
Ashyukun SuperDork
4/28/17 2:29 p.m.

It's a good thing you're about 5 hours away, I've wanted one of these for a good while. If I didn't already have a Challenge car I'd probably be trying to work out a way to get one of them...

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
5/7/17 8:41 p.m.
Ashyukun wrote: It's a good thing you're about 5 hours away, I've wanted one of these for a good while. If I didn't already have a Challenge car I'd probably be trying to work out a way to get one of them...

Your 3800 Buick would be pretty sweet in one of these. If it fit.

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
5/7/17 8:49 p.m.

Ls4 would be better

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
6/8/17 8:29 p.m.

Now on CL:

Linky

I hope I don't get flagged for this being in two places at once.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
6/9/17 7:46 a.m.

I wish I had a friend in the shipping business.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
6/9/17 11:09 a.m.

Any interest in trades? I am over in Columbia, MO and need this like a hole in the head but I love these things. A friend had one in highschool that was so much fun.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
6/9/17 12:04 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: Any interest in trades? I am over in Columbia, MO and need this like a hole in the head but I love these things. A friend had one in highschool that was so much fun.

I would listen to what you had in mind, but I've painted myself into a corner in a terrible way with too many cars, and am trying to PURGE.

I would trade for things that aren't cars, possibly.

My shop is full, otherwise, I'd move them inside and part both of them out. I don't want to be the bad neighbor and disassemble them in my back yard.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
6/9/17 2:27 p.m.

Hmm... Let me think on what I have that could be up for trade. Any interest in video game stuff? I might have a couple tools that could be traded. I have a CNC plasma that is getting assembled in the garage right now. Need anything cut?

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
6/10/17 9:07 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

I've got access to a CNC laser at work, so I'm good there. Honestly I think I'm going to part both of them out. I kinda hate to do it but there is a lot of money in parts on them, and I wasn't the one who neglected them in the first place.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
6/10/17 9:32 p.m.

Darn, I really like that auto one.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DeecyUbZANbfvwFuMimpHVgQqFyg7T7M9GMYjz5IWCFG9sPTpkuIdJraXLO10ONh