fastasleep
fastasleep Reader
10/15/17 3:29 p.m.

I would like to add several cameras around my place.  I have a house, a shop, and many trailers/equipment.  My question is this: what do you have, where did you get it, what was the price, and if given the chance, is there any other options that you would get given the opportunity to rebuy.

Thanks!

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
10/15/17 7:13 p.m.

I have a Swann system from Best Buy. Cheap and seems to work well. I am running 6 cameras that cover my shop, yard and driveway. 

Other than getting it hooked up for remote access, it has worked well. I'm not computer literate enough to get the stupid thing to work with the router. 

This is the one I have.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
10/16/17 7:21 a.m.
Toyman01 said:

I have a Swann system from Best Buy. Cheap and seems to work well. I am running 6 cameras that cover my shop, yard and driveway. 

Other than getting it hooked up for remote access, it has worked well. I'm not computer literate enough to get the stupid thing to work with the router. 

This is the one I have.

My wife had someone (or possibly three someones - it seems to have been a group of bored teenagers) smash the back window of her car in the carport a few weeks ago. I bought a Swann system from Best Buy myself - similar to what Toyman01 bought, but with four cameras. Things I like about it:

• The cameras have decent night vision capability.
  • I prefer wired cameras - no batteries to change.
  • The recording is stored separately from the cameras - if somebody smashes the camera, that's not enough to destroy the recording.
  • The price is pretty good - it was one of the cheapest options Best Buy had.
Zoldier
Zoldier New Reader
10/16/17 2:23 p.m.

I've been looking into these. A bit pricey but I like that its integrated into the flood lights. Mine need replacing anyhow.

https://ring.com/floodlightcam 

fastasleep
fastasleep Reader
10/16/17 4:16 p.m.

I like the Swann system.  My friend has the same one and recommended it.

With the battery-operated systems: how often is a battery change needed and are there any more cables to run?  I need something for the house and shop.  The shop is about 100 feet from the house.

Thanks for the input, guys!

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non SuperDork
10/16/17 5:02 p.m.

Following. Had stuff stolen outside of my house early in the AM today. 2nd time this has happened in a year. sad My little ones are really upset since it was our Halloween decorations stolen from the front yard which also had a 9ft inflatable black cat. I had just put them up yesterday afternoon. The Police driving around in my neighborhood this morning and I flagged them down. Apparently several cars were broken into in my neighborhood overnight. They made a police report for the stolen stuff. Last time it was my tools. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CrXcSbdLsu1b12eSgw7HqK3SO5aJcPSx8YgksDOACuTYllmv5gvljpMvSG1MlXwO