9 10 11 12 13
oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
8/17/17 2:17 p.m.

If you are going to stand on the prow with your arms outstretched, is it better or worse with the cab tipped forwards?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/17/17 2:27 p.m.
oldopelguy wrote: If you are going to stand on the prow with your arms outstretched, is it better or worse with the cab tipped forwards?

Try it with the cab tipped forward and you're the guy who falls into the propeller. I was up there putting little vinyl spots on the holes in the roof to keep water out, and it's STEEP.

coexist
coexist Reader
8/17/17 3:12 p.m.

"Completely stuck... Motor is still locked too ... I did break the ez-out...a fair number of mouse turds...let a mouse into a cylinder to raise a family?"

Try to remember the good old days

FWIW I worked on a customer's Giulia that had a mouse family in the dual DCOE airbox, one dead child per barrel.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/17/17 3:27 p.m.

I'm not even a little discouraged by this. They made about a billion school busses and dump trucks with this motor, so sourcing a different one shouldn't be hard or expensive. Don't get me wrong it would have been nice to add gas and a battery and have it light off, but these things happen. I did just learn that you can get long tube headers and a hotter cam for the motor. It would still be slow, but it would make cool noises as it trundled by.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
8/17/17 4:28 p.m.

There is an aluminum intake manifold available too, if you want to shave off a few pounds.

bluej
bluej UltraDork
8/17/17 4:31 p.m.
oldopelguy wrote: There is an aluminum intake manifold available too, if you want to shave off a few pounds.

Isn't that a bit like getting a carbon fiber hood for your shorty school bus turned tow-bus??

admit it, you all just pictured the above, thought "yeah, I'd rock that!" and smiled

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/17/17 4:34 p.m.

Carbon doors. Get it below the magic 5000 lb mark. I hear that's where they really wake up dynamically.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
8/17/17 4:42 p.m.

It's already got stiff suspension, wide stance, and flared fenders. Usually you have to pay extra for that kind of stuff.

Do they make lawn edging tall enough to make into an air dam for that or would you just use a minivan?

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
8/17/17 6:46 p.m.

This page has been hilarious. Im still waiting for the decision to ls swap it.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
8/17/17 8:10 p.m.

In reply to dropstep:

6.0, forced induction, some sort of Chevy pattern bellhousing to keep the current transmission?

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
8/17/17 8:15 p.m.

Will an 8v71 fit?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/17/17 8:40 p.m.

Twin turbo, megasquirt international coe. With those wide single tires the rigs are running now, bagged.

Pulling a polished airstream. Also on bags.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/17/17 8:53 p.m.

If it gets a modern gas motor it will be a GM 8100. A 6bt would be interesting because of the PTO. Hook it to the electrical bits of a generator and I've got a running driving efficient power plant.
Right now I'm still leaning toward the 345. Either I can fix this one or I can grab another. It would be cool to get this working as it should before wandering down the path of torque and speed and boost and all that.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/17/17 8:56 p.m.

Can you at least bag it? Please?

Pretty please with a cherry on top?

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
8/17/17 9:02 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Can you at least bag it? Please? . . . Pretty please with a cherry on top?

Yes, please do that.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
8/17/17 9:50 p.m.
Chadeux wrote:
Dusterbd13 wrote: Can you at least bag it? Please? . . . Pretty please with a cherry on top?
Yes, please do that.

I third this. Laying frame in a COE is about the coolest thing possible.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/17/17 10:01 p.m.
STM317 wrote: I think it needs to go up!

I don't know if you guys forgot about this picture, because I didn't. It haunts me.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
8/17/17 10:14 p.m.

Me too.....

bluej
bluej UltraDork
8/17/17 10:42 p.m.

I support that as well.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
8/17/17 10:53 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

But you don't have to lift stuff up as high to get it in the bed if you bag it...or something something.

This is a fun thread.

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
8/17/17 11:58 p.m.

I wonder what the running gear under that tall C-Series is. I wonder if this spectacle is perhaps both more attainable and more practical than a Unimog... What are the options for a semi-modern medium-duty-scale 4x4 chassis and drivetrain?

Also, finally actually went and looked up how split rims work, and I'm more excited than ever to never touch one with a ten foot pole.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi PowerDork
8/18/17 6:15 a.m.
Ransom wrote: I wonder what the running gear under that tall C-Series is. I wonder if this spectacle is perhaps both more attainable and more practical than a Unimog... What are the options for a semi-modern medium-duty-scale 4x4 chassis and drivetrain? Also, finally actually went and looked up how split rims work, and I'm more excited than ever to never touch one with a ten foot pole.

It looks like Unimog.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/18/17 7:30 a.m.

You can get big front axles for 4x4 Cement trucks. You can also get Michelin take-offs from military surplus truck people: http://www.oshkoshequipment.com/products/detail/21/829/16%2E00R20%2DMichelin%2DXZL%2DTire%2D90%2Dpercent%2Dplus%2DTread

or

http://www.boyceequipment.com/military-tires

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/18/17 7:51 a.m.

The first official Baja 1000 was October 31, 1967. I can't find any evidence (yet) that International ever had a factory presence, but people certainly have raced Scouts over the years. On the other side of the Atlantic, some crazy French dudes raced from Paris to Dakar starting in 1979. This race was much larger in scope and competing teams and support staff used large off-road trucks to follow the event from the beginning. Though they didn't officially compete that first year, you can't send a group of guys on a point to point course without them wanting to see who gets there first. By the second year there was a class for the heavy trucks. One of the first things I thought of when I saw the cabover was "what if?". What if something like the Dakar had started in the mid 60's? What if International competed in Scouts at the factory level? What if they needed support trucks? What if those support truck drivers wanted to race, just a bit?

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
8/18/17 7:55 a.m.

But he could get everything in one place:

shop bed

flat bed

Assuming you get good wheels, tires, axles, transfer case, a bed or box, plus the residual scrap value, the whole donor truck option is probably the way to go.

Even if you don't want 4wd, it might be worth it:

2wd ford

And if the motor turns out to be bad in the COE, if one of those other trucks can be driven home that might make it an even better value.

9 10 11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
atRV26BGt9nU1DlPC90S5oCyyRNNDc68TRAfjE5AljrvoT9Fb1abKYJHS3tZyaR3