mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/11/17 8:44 p.m.

Keeping in mind that the motor is currently in exploded view form, if I were a factory engineer tasked with making a factory hot rod race truck for a race that didn't yet exist, I'd probably flip the manifolds and grab a pair of turbos. It's an interesting line of thought.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
10/11/17 9:42 p.m.

More likely flip one and run a pipe from the other one under the engine and up so it ends up right next to the upside down one. Tiny collector built into a flange adapter for the turbo and done.

Plenty of room to put a box around the carb too,

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/12/17 7:31 a.m.

Two pipes to one turbo is the logical thing to do, but wouldn't it look cooler to have a pair of them? Besides, I need to get this running without turbos first and Deucekid#2 would love it if I were to run exhaust straight up off the manifolds. Not quite zoomies, but not too far off. 

garethashenden
garethashenden New Reader
10/12/17 9:38 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce :

A cabover biturbo? Sounds excellent!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/15/17 6:09 p.m.

In news that will shock no one that knows me in real life, I suck at reading calendars. It turns out that some slightly more distant in-laws are about to pass through Texas in their truck camper. The plan was to let them park on the concrete slab, let them change their oil, stuff like that. That is still the plan, so Ferdinand needs to move. Someday moving this won't require winching. Someday. 

I'm headed to the Challenge later in the week so I wasn't going to get much done anyway. My couple of days off has turned into three weeks of new cabinets and driving to Florida. There are certainly worse diversions in life. 

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/17/17 12:01 p.m.

In-laws are coming today. I need to pack for the challenge. I walked by the truck this morning and decided the light was just right, and that none of the real work was important, and that I NEEDED to play with cardboard. 
First we have a couple shots of the truck as is. It's sitting high, but I like it this height. This post is more for me than anything. I want to be able to look at these pictures this weekend and think about them before I get back to work on Monday. 

I love the upkick on the outside of the fenders. I want to source two more for the rear so they match. It's a neat line. 

I tried to make a mostly matching cardboard version of the fender. It worked, mostly. 

I learned that I like the potential. I also learned that the scale of this body mockup is too big for cardboard. I think I need to create a PVC framework that will represent the "box" and then work on attaching cardboard or big sheets of paper to that to flesh it out. I'm 95% sure I know how I want it to look Whether I can make that happen or not.......is to be seen. 

stafford1500
stafford1500 HalfDork
10/17/17 12:06 p.m.

You may have some romex laying around from the projects around the property. Use that to get the curves you want and then you can start making the templates/pvc framework for a more sturdy mock-up.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
10/17/17 12:47 p.m.
stafford1500 said:

You may have some romex laying around from the projects around the property. Use that to get the curves you want and then you can start making the templates/pvc framework for a more sturdy mock-up.

Freaking MacGyver, man. You are such a valuable resource around here.

Mazduece: look into making molds of the current parts as well from fiberglass.  Im not familiar with the process, as i haven't done it myself. But it can't be rocket surgery. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
10/17/17 1:07 p.m.

If you are going to be doing tin-work, get yourself a shrinker stretcher combo and use it to make the profiles you want.

Tiy might even be able to find a set of trailer fenders that will give you a big head-start to what you want to make. What diameter are you looking at for the rears?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/17/17 1:23 p.m.

For a sense of scale, those are 38 inch tires. I should be able to find another set of the factory fenders. I'm not sure if the ones currently on it are tweaked too much to make molds of, but if I do that, I'm making carbon fiber ones. Because racetruck. 

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
10/17/17 2:40 p.m.

For cool compound curves in sheet metal for a box I have seen some really nice boxes built out of old horse trailers, though more on 40's and 50's trucks.

Carbon fiber fenders would rock!

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
10/17/17 2:58 p.m.

Having owned several horse trailers...

Good luck finding one that is worth cutting up. They tend to get doused with corrosive fluids from the inside...

Norma66
Norma66 New Reader
10/17/17 3:43 p.m.

Carbon fiber would make me jelly

ScottS778
ScottS778 New Reader
10/17/17 8:23 p.m.

And to get 1 step up from the romex you can use Electrical Metal Tubing or EMT and a bender all low cost ways to form up something like this.

Scott

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/18/17 6:24 a.m.

We interupt this important discussion to bring you breaking news of Ferdinand at work in Michigan.

Thanks Seth.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Dork
10/18/17 7:35 a.m.

I'm all for watching Mazdeuce to go about learning how to bend/shrink/form Aluminum sheet metal. :D

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/18/17 8:40 a.m.
Mad_Ratel said:

I'm all for watching Mazdeuce to go about learning how to bend/shrink/form Aluminum sheet metal. :D

That's it.  Let's start a petition to get Mr. Deuce to buy an English wheel and let's see some compound curve goodness.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
10/18/17 9:55 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:
Mad_Ratel said:

That's it.  Let's start a petition to get Mr. Deuce to buy an English wheel and let's see some compound curve goodness.

Bam!

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
10/18/17 11:55 a.m.

FWIW, 16ga 5/8" square tubing is dirt cheap, and works well for making sheet metal bucks.

96extcab
96extcab New Reader
10/19/17 9:26 p.m.

Got my shirt and stickers, thanks Seth! I intended to post glamor shots showing it off at the track over the weekend, but that would have required taking my raincoat off.....grumble.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/23/17 2:21 p.m.

Challenge is over, let's drag this back on the slab, and none of that hand winch nonsense.

Spent my time today wire brushing brackets. You all know what that looks like and how much fun it is, so no pictures. Wirebrush, paint, assemble. Time to get it done.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
10/23/17 8:50 p.m.

You need a molasses tank for cleaning up all those rusty bits.

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny Reader
10/24/17 11:48 a.m.

Have you given any thought to making it a crazy dually muscle truck build? Imagine that thing going fast, it would be the best kind of sketchy.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
10/24/17 1:50 p.m.

In reply to dannyzabolotny :

I think already owning a couple big stupid things is tempering my desire to build another big stupid thing. We'll see though, it might be begging for 500+ hp. Who knows?

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny Reader
10/24/17 1:56 p.m.
mazdeuce said:

In reply to dannyzabolotny :

I think already owning a couple big stupid things is tempering my desire to build another big stupid thing. We'll see though, it might be begging for 500+ hp. Who knows?

With 500hp you might be able to crack into the single-digit 0-60 range. Which in a commercial truck is plenty fast enough to be scary.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WWeulVqYnb0W0ib92eMlGLct2BvLN4wvawuZ3qRA2OJZfMiQHsJRiSwcQrwZIVsx