Recon1342
Recon1342 Reader
12/6/17 11:55 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Internationals have an amazing cult following. I’ve met Scout guys that were borderline rabid...

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
12/7/17 12:55 a.m.

I used to -try- to deal with a fellow out here when I had my Scout.

He's got at least 20 of the bloody things on his property but he won't part with any of it.

His dad died when he was young and both of them were working on one as a project, now he's got some mental blockage going on and can't get past that part of his life.

Eventually, the city will probably have them all removed.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
12/7/17 6:43 a.m.

12v system, right?  I have a 24v linear actuator if you can use it

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
12/7/17 6:57 a.m.

Yes, 12v. I think I'm going to try one of the cylinders Steve recommended first to give the cab a boost and see how that goes. I need to do a few measurements and get out the scale, but I have high hopes that the solution is cheap and easy. 

As far as air, one of the neat things about the International gas engines is that they were used in school busses and dump trucks for something like three decades. You can find proper compressors and the bracketry for them. I suspect that's also where I'll find the balancer I need with the right bolt pattern for the fan. Anyone know where there is a gas international school bus from the 80's I can pick over? 

bluej
bluej UltraDork
12/7/17 7:00 a.m.

Closed and open angles matter w/ the pneumatic assist rods. They're a great solutiont If the packaging works, but you might need to do a little bracketry work.

uhm. Wtformat? Oh well.

96extcab
96extcab New Reader
12/7/17 10:01 p.m.

Very interested to see what you come up with. Needing to use a tow truck to lift our can isn't exactly the most practical or convenient way...

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
12/8/17 7:20 a.m.

Ferdinand is all "What the F man? Did I really leave South Dakota?"

I'm going to try and get better pictures with better light after I drop off the kids, but the snow might be gone by then. Snow in Houston is an ephemeral thing. 

thedanimal
thedanimal HalfDork
12/8/17 7:27 a.m.

Great pic of Ferd! When my brother told me it was snowing in Katy, I was pretty surprised. There was measurable snow in Austin, it was pretty interesting. 

ronniejay
ronniejay New Reader
12/8/17 7:39 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Ferdinand is all "What the F man? Did I really leave South Dakota?"

I'm going to try and get better pictures with better light after I drop off the kids, but the snow might be gone by then. Snow in Houston is an ephemeral thing. 

Ferddie writing his name in the snow?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
12/8/17 9:13 a.m.

I'm just going to do a bit of a picture dump. From a technical standpoint most of the pictures are at least one f-stop under exposed. The ones that were brighter are technically better, but they don't convey the emotion of the light this morning. It's gone from dark to straight up dreary as the snow melts and the light never got good. 

Details of the truck are almost architectural when the contrast is different. 

Should have picked the citrus yesterday. 

I get frustrated shooting digitally. I know how to shoot things properly and then change light levels and color balance and crop after the fact, but I'm seldom happier with a photo when I do all of that. My favorite shooting is what I did this morning, throw on a manual lens, work hard at composition, shoot several at the aperture that I think is right and a couple one stop up and one down from that, and then see what I get. I like photographs to surprise me the same way they used to when getting a roll of film back from the pharmacy when I was a kid. 

Gentabout
Gentabout New Reader
12/8/17 9:32 a.m.

Awesome shots of Ferdinand with his snow dusting. 

Ps. did you ever work out how to send a shirt across the pond to me? 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/8/17 9:43 a.m.

That is more snow than we have had in Ontario.

I

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
12/8/17 9:50 a.m.

In reply to Gentabout :

I've got a couple things cooking. Coming via either Germany or Belgium after the first of the year. Sorry about the delay. Still sitting there with your name on it though. laugh

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
12/8/17 10:25 a.m.

Also, this is for sale in Astin. 

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
12/8/17 10:44 a.m.
NOHOME said:

That is more snow than we have had in Ontario.

Same with my part of upstate NY.  We've seen just over inch total across 3 separate snow events.  

Ooh, a crew cab 4x4!  All I can say about that is: BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT!!!  devil

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/8/17 10:52 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth 

What is your camera of choice ?  and is the total noob down loading thread the next step?

java230
java230 SuperDork
12/8/17 10:57 a.m.

Thats beautiful! I like the spring hanger picture. Very "industrial" 

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
12/8/17 11:01 a.m.

Those are fantastic photos, and they capture something that resonates with me about... I don't even know how to put it, but it's tangled up with old machinery, woods, the appreciation of a cozy house the way one only can when it's cold out... Stuff I've recently been trying to figure out how to articulate but so far can't. Thanks for posting them.

Gentabout
Gentabout New Reader
12/8/17 11:32 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to Gentabout :

I've got a couple things cooking. Coming via either Germany or Belgium after the first of the year. Sorry about the delay. Still sitting there with your name on it though. laugh

Excellent.. got some interesting trips planned next year that will produce some cool photo's. Not sure if the future SWMBO will let me wear it on our wedding day in Antigua though.  

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
12/8/17 12:45 p.m.
rslifkin said:

Ooh, a crew cab 4x4!  All I can say about that is: BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT!!!  devil

Yea. Just had lunch with Mrs. Deuce because she needed some burly muscles to move a table (she called me instead) at her office. I tried to convince her that I had finally discovered a way to move up from the R63. 
I once thought the V-wagon was the peak dadmobile. Then I actually found an R63, and that's clearly just a bit more awesome. A crew cab 4wd medium duty International is just about the only way to move up from that, right? And surely she wants me to have as many internet points as possible, right? 
No. 
She did ask if I had maybe slipped on the snow and hit my head. Then she asked who was sending me these CL ads so she knew who's ass to kick. 
Probably wouldn't have fit under the tree anyway. sad

In reply to 759NRNG : 

I have a Panasonic Lumix GF3. It's a decent camera in a small enough body that I'm not "that guy" carrying it around. I have an adapter and a couple of older manual lenses for when I'm feeling artsy. Pretty much any of the new bodies will capture good images, it's really all about the lenses and getting ones with the focal length/aperture that you want to make it all work. I was shooting with an older Milolta 50mm f1.7 this morning. It behaves a bit differently because it's further away from the sensor than it would have been from the film, but it does ok for a $50 ebay lens. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
12/8/17 12:46 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
12/8/17 1:03 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

We can at least all agree that I need one of these as a way to level up from the R63. Now we just need to figure out how to subtly make Mrs. Deuce think it's the proper decision for the family..........

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
12/8/17 3:01 p.m.

You have a pickup truck, right?  Why not sell the pickup, put a large bed on the 4x4 International and call it your new pickup?  

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth MegaDork
12/8/17 3:37 p.m.

In reply to rslifkin :

She mentioned something about "too big for normal parking or any parking garage" which isn't wrong. I would have to use it differently than I've used my truck over the last decade. I'm ok with that, but I don't think she is.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead HalfDork
12/8/17 4:01 p.m.

I get the impression the grosh truck is something like a 'family mobility security blanket'... I would not mess with that type of entity

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2Icyn6VCdZX9OL32I3dEorAYM5VKnxXuguffPJR7IEZFnAgI5bb8S1Kwe5n3hayx