jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
9/1/16 9:03 a.m.

Grab a wideband o2 that can record (I've seen one that records throttle position, rpm, etc which would be perfect) and you take ALL the guess work out. You can see instantly where you're lean or rich.

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
9/1/16 9:07 a.m.

In reply to jfryjfry:

Yup you are not the first person to suggest that and it makes a lot of sense. On the other hand once I get the carb locked in I'll probably never have to mess with it again. I haven't had do this this in more than a decade and it is hard to justify the money and time for something I use once every 15 years. :-)

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
9/1/16 9:10 a.m.

Here is another chart

and I think my plugs are pretty close the the best.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
9/1/16 10:17 a.m.

What kind of fuel you run makes a huge difference in what the plug looks like so keep some grains of salt handy.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
9/1/16 10:48 a.m.

Agreed, and if you didn't cut it off at WOT you can't read it properly anyway.

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
9/2/16 8:36 a.m.
bentwrench wrote: What kind of fuel you run makes a huge difference in what the plug looks like so keep some grains of salt handy.

Yeah part of that black art thing. :-)

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
9/2/16 8:38 a.m.
Paul_VR6 wrote: Agreed, and if you didn't cut it off at WOT you can't read it properly anyway.

That I was able to do.

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
9/4/16 12:11 p.m.

Installed a new winch on the trailer today. The old one has some solenoid problem. It won't shut off or reverse. I'm hoping to fix that one and use it in the new garage as a lift platform to lift stuff to the second story. A friend has done this and it works great. I decided to get a new winch for the trailer because I wanted one with a cable tensioner. With the old winch if you don't have any tension on the cable and release it to spool it out the whole cable on the reel wants to unwind and tangle itself. I've had to completely unwind the reel and wind the whole thing back in a dozen times and this was the time to fix that problem. When I use the old winch for the lift system it will always have tension on it from the lift platform so the lack of a tensioner there won't be a problem.

Anyway the smallest Badland winch I saw with a tensioner was the 12,000 lb model. I wanted another Badland because I already have the wireless remote that works with it. Should handle the race car fine. :-) So now I just need to find something really heavy to test it with.

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
9/4/16 6:17 p.m.

Pulled the transmission and bellhousing to get the clutch slave cylinder out. The bearing is apparently what is making the awful howling noise.

It goes in one of these

Quarter Master Hydraulic Throwout Bearing

Crackers
Crackers New Reader
9/4/16 7:21 p.m.

All the modifieds I remember seeing in my mid-90's circle track tenure were built on Camaro front subframes. I didn't know there were full tube chassis versions. I'm guessing they run in different classes, or do you know?

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
9/4/16 7:48 p.m.

Most of the modifieds I'm familiar with are full tube frame. IMCA modifieds run a GM subframe. And those are usually a different series. I don't think they ever race against each other. But I have to admit it is far from my area of expertise.

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
9/6/16 8:13 p.m.

Got the oil changed and the Oberg filter checked and cleaned. I even pulled one of the scavenge screens and it was clean. I figured if that one didn't have a spec of RTV in it the other one should be fine.

I also got check all the shifter linkages I built earlier this year. They seem to be holding up just fine. The Jerico doesn't reward gentle shifting and I have been anything but gentle with it. The 5/8" aluminium rod and aluminium heims are strong enough for the job while being lighter than what I had before. I'm pretty happy with the setup.

Crackers
Crackers New Reader
9/7/16 12:55 a.m.

Oh, ok. I just pulled an old race program. The cars at our track were all Grand American Modifieds, and I remember the touring series being the IMCA cars.

HunterBenz
HunterBenz Reader
9/7/16 2:26 a.m.

Please excuse the ignorance if this is basic, but why is reverse linkage going to the black lever?

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
9/7/16 9:37 a.m.
HunterBenz wrote: Please excuse the ignorance if this is basic, but why is reverse linkage going to the black lever?

It is mostly a matter of preference. I have reverse on a separate lever for a few reasons. 1) With this setup there is no way to accidentally engage reverse. We have had more than one person do this at the start line. It is the same idea as drag racing classes requiring a reverse lockout. We don't require it but I like having it. 2) I can't accidentally get caught in the reverse gate when downshifting from third to second. Sometimes I would miss second and and go into the reverse gate. It wouldn't go into reverse because that is over and UP but it would mess up the downshift. Now that can't happen. 3) With the old transmission (Muncie) I could also use it as a parking brake. I could engage reverse and first at the same time and lock up the rear end. I liked that but the Jerico has internal lock outs that prevent engaging both gears. If I ever have the Jerico apart I'm going to see if I can remove that lock out.

java230
java230 Dork
9/7/16 10:18 a.m.

Replacement winch solenoid

Winch contractors have gotten much better than the 4 solenoid setup.

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
9/7/16 5:33 p.m.
java230 wrote: Replacement winch solenoid Winch contractors have gotten much better than the 4 solenoid setup.

Thanks!

java230
java230 Dork
9/7/16 5:45 p.m.

In reply to KevinGale:

No worries, may be able to find a cheaper one Googling Albright solenoid, that's what your looking for.

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
9/14/16 8:31 p.m.

Got the new throwout bearing in last night and tonight I finished getting the transmission in and the slave cylinder bled. I bought the remote bleeder hose from Quartermaster this time and it made the job so much easier.

My sister in-law also fixed the broken wires on the winch remote transciever so I have a remote control for the winch again. Sometimes I really need it since if the trailer is facing at all downhill I need to be in the car to use the brakes. The remote wireless control makes that easy.

I should be all set for Mt Ascutney this weekend.

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
9/21/16 9:02 p.m.

Back from Ascutney. Great event on Saturday. :-) I had the fastest time on Saturday but Sunday brought rain. The road never dried out and having crashed hard at Ascutney a couple times in the dry I decided racing on the wet road didn't sound like fun. So I never made a run on Sunday. I left it for the AWD cars to battle it out.

One problem is that even after replacing the throwout bearing it is still making lots of noise.

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
9/22/16 9:19 a.m.

One cool thing is that on Sunday I got beat in class by a Prius. If you look at the last car in the Saturday results you will see that the Prius was running in my class. He did run in the rain so he finished first in Formula Libre on Sunday.

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
10/18/16 8:03 p.m.

Got back from Philo the last event of the season. No updates since the last event because I didn't do anything to the car but add fuel.

Good news is that this time I did beat the Prius while running a personal best time. Second overall since Paul Tingaud was there with the Super Chicken. (He also won King of the Hill this year. Congrats to Paul!)

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
10/18/16 8:08 p.m.

Picts of the car at Philo

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
10/18/16 8:14 p.m.

I was pitted next to the Super Chicken. The Super Chicken decided to eat a transmission on Saturday. Paul needed one good run on Sunday to take King of the Hill. Fortunately he had a spare transmission (the Super Chicken likes to eat transmissions so this wasn't exactly unexpected) and I helped a bit swapping it in. Mostly I probably got in the way since Paul is pretty good at this. I spent a lot of time crawling under the car to fetch nuts, bolts and washers that fell. Paul may have been dropping them on purpose just to keep me busy or because he liked watching me crawl under the car.

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
10/19/16 6:24 a.m.

In reply to KevinGale:

Looks like a nice fall day for a peaceful drive in the forest.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RGU9K7kD6MJ0roiSBEroIpcPzc3gp6V9cxPRZVrm4BSgwQWBkXRKDeY66mhoEzV9