3 4 5 6 7
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
4/20/17 6:20 a.m.
irish44j wrote: Man, that is looking epic. Though beating your cross-country fly-drive trip in the old car may be hard to beat ;) I know it's o/t, but are you still planning on doing STPR?

Negative, though I should be available to crew. The XR4Ti needs a clutch to replace the brand berkeleying new one that doesn't hold, which will happen after the trip- and I'm not going to play the "slap it together and go rally" game while selling an RV in addition to figuring out whether ARA sucks or not. Hopefully it'll be together for a rallycross or two before BRS.

mikedd969
mikedd969 New Reader
4/20/17 6:32 a.m.

In reply to Karacticus: Looks like you will be passing close to my old hometown in Kentucky. Beautiful scenery. I'd suggest a stop at Mammoth Cave National Park. Great hiking and RV facilities.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
4/20/17 6:33 a.m.
Dirtydog wrote: Following the old Route 66 can be very interesting. It intertwines with RT.40. Did a similar trip years ago when I retired. New York to California Rt.66 and north, back to NY. Took in all the sights. The trip was July 2nd to the end of August 2004. Did it in a GMC conversion van, Me, SWMBO, 2 kids and 2 dogs. Overall, a great trip.

I actually did Route 66 with a friend a while ago, in a E36 M3ty 77 Maverick we bought off of craigslist in LA- it was a fantastic trip: the story is here on Kinja as well as the GRM adventures forum, but the pictures in the forum post are all broken now. We may do some of 66 in the RV as well, it's going to depend on how much time we have and how things are going.

Spinout007
Spinout007 UberDork
4/20/17 6:59 a.m.

As usual... Epic. I just spent an hour reading the whole thing. Good luck and congrats!

Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi HalfDork
4/20/17 7:14 a.m.

Yep. As big and heavy as this is, I wouldn't even worry about car traffic. It's that cowboy in the long-nose Pete barreling down on you at 88 mph that you need to worry about. PATP is full of those.

wae wrote: They do drive funny. Try putting 20ft worth of trailer behind it and then back it down a narrow drive. It's Marty McFly and you're Marvin Barry's band: It does its thing and you've gotta just try to keep up. After putting a couple miles on it, though, you'll find that it starts to become second nature. At least the going forward down the highway part will. The most unnerving part is getting passed by a truck. It pushes you out then pulls you in and then pushes you back out again .
Dirtydog
Dirtydog New Reader
4/20/17 8:36 a.m.

It used to be over the road truckers were professional drivers. Now it seems everyone gets a CDL through a job service, and becomes a cowboy. I think the saying "Are we there yet?" had driving across Pa. in mind.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
4/20/17 1:48 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote:
irish44j wrote: Man, that is looking epic. Though beating your cross-country fly-drive trip in the old car may be hard to beat ;) I know it's o/t, but are you still planning on doing STPR?
Negative, though I should be available to crew. The XR4Ti needs a clutch to replace the brand berkeleying new one that doesn't hold, which will happen after the trip- and I'm not going to play the "slap it together and go rally" game while selling an RV in addition to figuring out whether ARA sucks or not. Hopefully it'll be together for a rallycross or two before BRS.

Understood. That's a bummer, but on the bright side Josh S. cannot make it to STPR due to other commitments, so we happen to be in need of a crew chief

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
4/20/17 2:08 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

I should be able to fill that position, although if possible I'd like to only take Friday off since I will have just used every last bit of my time off on the subject of this thread.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
4/20/17 7:09 p.m.

not a problem. I'll touch base with you closer to the time.

grover
grover New Reader
4/21/17 10:00 a.m.

Congrats and consolations ont the RV. I bought a 90 fleetwood bounder 34 in september. Same drivetrain as your's and probably the same frame (the end of these things is just a weird frame extension). I had weddings to photography in Princeton, Montauk, and Providence in consecutive weeks, so we took it up from west palm beach to maine and back in 4 weeks. It was a blast but some stress. We were told our tires were fine, they were not and the first one blew on a sunday requiring a $1k roadside assistance bill :/ all in all it was a great trip and we've since taken it out 4 more times. We went 5 days over easter to north florida. I'd be happy to help in any way. I've changed out the sway bar bushings, painted the interior, resealed part of the roof, rewired the backhalf (blowout damage) replaced the water heater thermostat, replaced the jack springs (good lord that wasn't fun) replaced the fuel filter, and a bunch of other stuff. The drivetrain has been solid for us, best of luck!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
4/24/17 6:50 a.m.

No pictures from this weekend because I'm the worst.

On Saturday, went went and spent $200 filling the RV with supplies- toilet paper, holding tank chemicals, lots of fresh water bottles (I'm not about to trust the 23 year old fresh water system on this thing), shop towels, trash bags, that sort of crap. Then we came home and packed it some more, getting to the point where the only things we haven't packed yet are clothes and food. We're bringing more spares and tools in this thing than we bring to a stage rally! Feeling pretty good about it, we then spent the rest of Saturday cleaning the house so that we don't have to worry about it when we get back from the trip.

Then, on Sunday morning, I took a test shower to make sure that works OK (it does), then drove to the nearby campground to use their dumping station and top up the propane. Having done that, I decided to take one more victory lap on the nearest hilly 55mph road to make sure everything was good to go... and it wasn't The thing started hesitating on the longer uphill sections, not dying but occasionally popping through the exhaust and slowing down more than I'd like.

So I drove home and immediately got to work- fuel injector spray pattern looks as good as TBI ever does, no leaks, no arcing from the ignition system. Fuel pressure is fine, at least at idle. I picked up a TBI rebuild kit and cleaned and reassembled everything, then went for another drive- seems better, but it still seems to have the same issue. Sprayed carb cleaner everywhere looking for vacuum leaks, none found. Hooked the fuel pressure gauge back up, with the rebuilt TBI business (including regulator) it has 2psi more fuel pressure, still in spec. Then went for a drive with Sara checking the fuel pressure gauge the whole time- it seems pretty much rock steady, never fluctuating more than 1psi and staying in spec, but still hesitates.

Got home, took the fuel pressure gauge and adapter back off, and removed distributor cap. The cap and rotor are new as of a month ago, and still look good. The advance mechanism (I think?) under the rotor is rusty as all hell and the ring around it can be slapped all over the place by hand, it's very loose. Is this the problem? I hope so, Amazon will have our new distributor to us today or tomorrow. All in all, not the stress free, "ready to go" end to the weekend that I was hoping for. If this doesn't fix the problem we're out of time, and will have to live with it and diagnose it on the road if it gets worse.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
4/24/17 6:57 a.m.

This isn't our distributor but a picture of one that looks the same, rust and all- that outer ring can be moved up, down, side to side, and rotated about 30 degrees by hand with no resistance. Is this our problem?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
4/24/17 7:10 a.m.

I would guess it's likely. Chances are, the distributor bushings haven't seen lubrication in a long time. While it worked OK for the first few drives, once it started to wear, it went downhill fast.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
4/24/17 7:13 a.m.

It does seem like we've checked most of the other potential culprits, and the way it's acting would (I think) indicate that the timing advance is getting erratic. I can't imagine that the outer ring on the pickup coil (if that's what I'm looking at) should move around so freely, but I have very little experience with this sort of distributor.

logdog
logdog SuperDork
4/24/17 7:27 a.m.

GM distributor drive gears of that era tended to wear out and the teeth would get thin causing timing issues. I had to replace the distributor in my van a few months ago for the issue. Had similar driveability issues as yours.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
4/24/17 7:33 a.m.

I have nothing useful to add but this sounds like a great trip. Hopefully you don't end up like Winnebago Man

Winnebago Man

very NSFW language video

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
4/24/17 7:37 a.m.

In reply to Wall-e:

That's basically just a recording of me working on it

Dirtydog
Dirtydog Reader
4/24/17 7:43 a.m.

Very funny. That could be anything I do theses days. If I'm not mistaken, the cam sensor is in the distributor. A word of warning, my son ordered an Amazon Distributor, for his 1997 Suburban, it was bad. Hope not for your sake. You may have to set timing with a Scanner.

oldrotarydriver
oldrotarydriver New Reader
4/24/17 10:28 a.m.

Can't help it. Image might be a selfie taken at the 12 second point, fuming at the Cobb AccessPort for my S/C'ed RX-8.

I'll let myself out...

grover
grover New Reader
4/24/17 8:27 p.m.

mine has done the same popping thing, but that was when headed uphill towing 5k pound minivan. If I let it move slower, i.e. 50 mph, it won't do it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
4/25/17 7:46 p.m.

Here's my helpful guide for anyone wondering how to replace the distributor on a TBI 454 in a Fleetwood Southwind in the rain.

First, remove the distributor cap:

Now mark the position of the rotor, and make a line that lines up with the lip where the floor ends and the engine bay begins:

Looking at the first image again, can you see the distributor hold-down bolt? Of course you can't, it's hidden under the fuel lines and nearly impossible to access! Channel Winnebago Man and spew colorful words at both Chevrolet and Fleetwood's engineers as you painstakingly loosen it 1/12th of a turn at a time while your face is inches from 23 year old motor home carpet.

Done? Good, try not to drop the bolt or the dumb little clamp thingy. Now unplug the distributor, and have a brief moment of terror as you realize that it looks like the floor may prevent its' escape. Pull it up until the rotor stops turning and mark that position too.

Now lift the distributor, tilting it slightly forward as you reach the floor, breathe a sigh of relief that it clears, and say something nice about the guys at Fleetwood for the first and only time. Transfer your marks to the new distributor:

Panic yet again as you remember that the internet said the oil pump drive thingy always moves and berkeleys everything up. Shine a light down there and decide it seems fine:

Use your reference marks to align the new distributor and rotor, say the traditional Haynes manual prayer "installation is the reverse of removal," and stick it in the hole. If it worked then the housing is lined up with the floor just like the old one, and the rotor is pointing where it should:

Remember your old friend the hold down clamp? Put that thing back on- go ahead. Try. Spend ten minutes or so fighting it while unleashing a continuous stream of expletives that would make Winnebago Man blush, eventually getting it by sheer luck. Make sure everything lines up. Now snug it down, transfer your plug wires to the new cap, and install it:

Find and unplug this stupid connector to disable the advance mechanism:

Now put on some clothes you don't care about, and wonder whether your timing light is waterproof, because you're going here:

Hook the timing light's sensor to the #5 spark plug wire, and find this rusty thing on the underside of the engine:

Get really up close and personal with it, so that you can hopefully see that the big "V" is zero, and one of those marks above it is 4 degrees BTDC, which is what you're aiming for in terms of timing. Start the engine, and rejoice momentarily that it actually runs before worrying about how awful it sounds. Get back down in the mud and see what the timing is.

Now get up again, and go turn the distributor couterclockwise because your timing is hella retarded. Ruin the interior of your RV on the way there, and enjoy how being soaking wet makes you extra conductive and therefore easily shockable by way of distributor. Do this several more times until the timing is what it's supposed to be.

Now, shut the engine off, and tighten the stupid awful E36 M3ty hold down bolt that some drunk shiny happy person at Chevy designed on the worst Monday of his life. Check the timing again, hate yourself because tightening the clamp advanced it one degree, and do nothing about it because it has knock sensors so it'll probably be fine. Reconnect the dumb wire.

Your clothes now look like this, go change before you test drive it:

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/25/17 7:53 p.m.

That was the best thing I've ever read. Bravo.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
4/25/17 7:54 p.m.

The test drive was a success! It runs way better, can now pull hills in 3rd gear (to a point), and much more easily maintains 55mph. It still doesn't seem perfect, I could swear that it stumbles just a little bit every now and then, but I think my big block Suburban ran the same way so this may just be as good as it gets for an engine designed in the 60s and fuel injection that makes sprinklers look precise.

The cruise control even works! I also filled the tank at the end of the test drive- it has been getting about 3-4mpg around town

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
4/25/17 8:10 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

Thanks, maybe you and I should go into the service manual business. I think there's a reason that they don't let me write the installation instructions for stuff at work

Slippery
Slippery Dork
4/25/17 8:14 p.m.

Great thread!

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0k3EhedYVzb269V8VIlNFpaga2dfRyHy5zc1jit6YaWfQSPznMHyLE3Wfv6EoUKX