1 2
BA5
BA5 New Reader
9/26/16 3:39 p.m.

I got my 1999 Honda Prelude Type SH back in April of 2012. I had always wanted one, I remember endlessly configuring them on Honda's webpage back in the early days of the internet. I was in college at the time and a brand new, rather expensive car wasn't in the cards.

It really didn't take me too long to find this one. He put it up on Autotrader and paid for the special advertising, so I guess it worked. My favorite part of the purchase was that there was also a father/son duo who was also interested in the car. I think they had looked at the car first and made an offer. I looked at the car and made a higher offer. The previous owner said he felt like he had to give the other guys a chance to beat my offer. I was accepted that.

I got a phone call a day later:

"Well, the guy matched your price (I think my price was $6500), do you think you can go higher?"

I was nervous to lose the car, but I told him $6500 was my hard limit.

Then I pointed out "But you know, he didn't really beat my price, he just matched it. So I think that's really up to you who you'll sell the car to."

"Your right. And you know what? You're a whole lot less of a PITA than the other guy is, so the car is yours"

I picked it up the next day. I remember the guy mentioning that he was really into F&F at the time, but couldn't afford any modifications to the car. I was really glad for that....

The car is in pretty damn good condition. It has a few dings in the metal and chips in the paint, but nothing too noticeable. The interior is nearly flawless.

The Type SH (which supposedly stood for 'Super Handling') was substantially different from the base model. It got a completely revised front suspension with a different camber curve, different radius rods (and associated bushings), and a dual ball joint. It had different wheels and some minor interior changes. Same engine, though. The biggest difference was the ATTS system. It's an electronically controlled differential that can bias more torque to the outside wheel.

Mine serves daily driving duties. It's got 240k miles on it now, but I'd hop in it and drive it across the country without a single concern tomorrow. I intend to keep it more or less stock, although I might so some very minor mods. There's a japan-only lip that looks good, but sometimes I think I might just go for the full OEM body-kit (which was available in the US). Even though they're not necessarily 'the best' parts, I may go for a couple of mugen parts, just to kind of make it period correct.

You may ask yourself: "What's with this guy and Preludes?"

Well let me tell you:

I think they're beautiful cars. A simple, sporty cheese-wedge shape with a raked greenhouse. The front ends are simple, with just the right amount of edge. No superfluous vents or angles. The headlights are simple but not just squares (and I love the 3rd gen pop-ups). The tail is just lopped off with some nice 'light bar' style tail lights.

They're fun to drive: Yeah, they're FWD. I've owned RWD cars, driven Mid-engined cars. I've learned that has very little impact on the 'fun-to-drivability' of a car. They've got great double a-arm suspensions at all four corners. Honda gave them various technologies so they're pretty neutral for a FWD car. None of them are blindingly fast and except for the 4th gens I don't know that any of them are particularly competitive race cars, but that hasn't kept me from racing my 3g for all these years.

They're easy to keep driving: They're Honda's from Honda's golden age of reliability, so they're pretty bullet proof to begin with. Add to the fact that they have sporting intentions and occupied a slot towards the top of Honda's line up means that I don't have to constantly supply even the race car with ball joints, wheel bearings, etc. They're pretty well set up to be beat on.

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
9/26/16 3:55 p.m.

Had never heard of a sh before but if I were looking for a car you'd have sold me on one

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
9/26/16 5:04 p.m.

Thats so clean! Im jealous. Also what are the wheel specs on the white car?

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
9/26/16 6:14 p.m.

Stupid name but oh, so true - "Super Handling"!

Sold these new & still WANT.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
9/26/16 6:26 p.m.
NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
9/26/16 7:37 p.m.

Apropos of nothing, but I recall a reading that back in the day, the Prelude was popular with women buyers; something to do with their vibrators having the same name!

Gab
Gab New Reader
9/26/16 7:53 p.m.

Beautiful cars! I, too am a Prelude man. My first car was a red '83 Prelude - those carbs were a PITA. I also owned an '89 and a '99.

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a 3rd gen with 4WS to DD.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
9/26/16 8:27 p.m.

Very nice!

Always kind of dug those. Very good running cars, and have a more mature look than the other fwd sports coupes. Great pick up on finding a clean, stock one!

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 HalfDork
9/26/16 10:12 p.m.
Gab wrote: Beautiful cars! I, too am a Prelude man. My first car was a red '83 Prelude - those carbs were a PITA.

My second car was a '84 Prelude (non-Si). I really hated all of those vacuum lines and black boxes. Great car otherwise.

I've always wondered what the 5th gens were like to drive. They are certainly nice to look at. The only ones I've seen lately were beaten up and/or badly molested. Your's looks great. Congrats.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
9/26/16 11:31 p.m.

I've always dug the styling on these.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
9/27/16 5:56 a.m.

I've lusted for a white SH for many years now. Nice score!

TGMF
TGMF Reader
9/27/16 11:43 a.m.

I had a 97 just like that one. Loved that car. When clutch replacement time came, I swapped in a light weight flywheel as well. It was amazingly responsive. Sold it because the engine became a low compression, oil burning POS at 160k. I've since learned they are known for fragile piston ring lands.

BA5
BA5 New Reader
9/27/16 12:20 p.m.
Fitzauto wrote: Thats so clean! Im jealous. Also what are the wheel specs on the white car?

Thanks! The white car's wheels are 15x8 -20 (maybe -25, I can't remember off the top of my head.).

Rather conveniently the 3g preludes share early miata wheel fitment.

As for how they drive: They're really smooth and intuitive. They'll let you toss them around and get pretty crazy with them without biting your head off. Of course, they're not as light as some of their contemporaries, so it's harder to get them to generate massive levels of grip.

I replaced the clutch on this not too long ago. With the ATTS it's a major pain. The ATTS unit is basically a small automatic transmission attached to the back of the manual transmission. Not fun.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
9/27/16 12:34 p.m.

The idea for the Prelude has always been great: take the Accord and then Civic and put it in a sexier body. They kept improving the platform over time with technologies like AWS and SH. If they kept the idea alive, who knows how awesome it would have been by now! Here's wishing that they will take the BUTT UGLY next-gen Civic SI with 300hp and give it a sexy 2-door body and call it Prelude.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
9/27/16 3:48 p.m.

Both your cars are my favorite versions of the Prelude.

I actually came close to buying a last-gen one back in 2002. It came in on trade at the dealership I worked for, and it was on the "back lot" where they stored all the cars going to auction. Sometimes, you could catch a sweet deal on a car they didn't feel like putting too much work into. They wanted too much for this particular one, and it had an automatic, so I passed. Very cool cars.

BA5
BA5 New Reader
9/27/16 4:06 p.m.

That was what really killed them. They were expensive! I remember them being about $26k, maybe a little more. According to my inflation calculator, $26k in 1999 dollars is like $37k today!

NickD
NickD Dork
9/27/16 4:19 p.m.

Before I bought my Miata, I searched high and low for BB6 Preludes, but they were all either beat to death or the owners wanted ludicrous money.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Dork
9/27/16 10:22 p.m.

Nice looking car. I'm tempted by a 2001 model with 108K miles here locally. I'll probably look at this weekend as a nice little DD since I'm not driving all that much anymore.

crxmike
crxmike Reader
9/28/16 6:23 p.m.

Today's Craigslist find

I saw this today and immediately wondered how expensive finding a new engine might be. Always liked their styling.

Edit - if link dies.. It's a $500 SH with a hole in the block.

BA5
BA5 New Reader
9/29/16 1:28 p.m.

You gotta be careful with that. SH's have a different block from the base model.

BA5
BA5 New Reader
9/29/16 2:57 p.m.

A few more pictures, just for fun.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
9/29/16 5:52 p.m.

I was torn between an Integra GS-R and a nice last generation prelude for a long time and wound up going with the cleanest, best priced one that was still left. In my case that was the GS-R. Stock and on paper, they have very similar performance stats. A friend of mine recently bought back his SH with 220k on the clock and its still in good shape after all of these years in the snow belt.

HunterBenz
HunterBenz Reader
9/29/16 11:59 p.m.

I have to admit, as a mostly RWD lover the Preludes are the chink in my RWD armor. My brother had a 90's era SI, it was a really fun car to wring out. Both of yours look like gobs of fun.

johndej
johndej Reader
9/30/16 7:30 a.m.

I've always dug the prelude. Brother got a 91 SI as his first car and a friend of mine had a 94. His older brother raced a 94/95 in honda challenge and would challenge type rs/S2000s on a good day. We were always seeing if he had any old race parts to hand down. I think these last gen cars are right in the sweet spot now for a comfortable modern yet rawer/not overly complicated daily.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
9/30/16 9:33 a.m.

Man that looks clean! Nice score. I've wanted one since the 90's!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wrCxKZqDY2xQjnMvcjz5LLhiTJxWSmUhEZaLgFNMAVyfjoSGOPorLBt8Zpk3wPTJ