2 3 4 5
NGTD
NGTD UberDork
6/20/17 10:15 p.m.
java230 wrote: I like that skid plate, should be beefy with that frame above it!

Yeah it looks like it can take a pretty good hit (and has!). The frame also gives a little extra room before anything gets hit.

Rallysprint in 4 days! After 16 years of volunteering, finally getting in the drivers seat!

Rotaryracer
Rotaryracer New Reader
6/21/17 6:24 a.m.
NGTD wrote: Tonight it was back to the car list. Getting down to the last few small jobs. Skid Plate Rear Mud Flaps

As someone who is prepping a 2000 Civic EX to punish in rallycross and road rallies, that skidplate is very relevant to my interests. The next time you have the car up on stands, would you be able to snap some close-up pics of the attachment points for the skid plate frame?

Good luck at the rallysprint - can't wait to hear how the Pumpkin does!

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
6/21/17 8:48 a.m.

In reply to Rotaryracer:

Sure - no problem. Happy to help out with some pics

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/21/17 5:51 p.m.

EDIT: nevermind, just answered my own question a couple pages back.

What ralllysprint are you doing?

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/21/17 5:53 p.m.
NGTD wrote: Got in the car, put the harness on and then located this. Decided to offset it to the co-drivers side to keep it away from the roof vent, but keep it within reach.

to be honest, once you set it where you like it, you'll never touch it again. We have ours mounted in the same place and the only time we ever touch it is to change the battery lol....

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
6/21/17 9:42 p.m.
irish44j wrote: EDIT: nevermind, just answered my own question a couple pages back. What ralllysprint are you doing?

Maple Leaf Rally Club -Spring Rallysprint

Based out of Bancroft ON.

About 40 km of stages with minimal transits. Good way to get started.

adam525i
adam525i New Reader
6/21/17 9:51 p.m.

If you are interested in another one in July the KW Rally Club is hosting an event north of Peterborough on July 15. There's a decent amount of information available here KWRC Rally of the Voyageurs

Good luck with the rally sprint!

Adam

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
6/21/17 9:59 p.m.
adam525i wrote: If you are interested in another one in July the KW Rally Club is hosting an event north of Peterborough on July 15. There's a decent amount of information available here KWRC Rally of the Voyageurs Good luck with the rally sprint! Adam

I would like to make Voyageurs, but my helmet, belts and co-drivers seat all have to get updated to do so.

Not sure I can swing all that in time.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
6/26/17 11:10 a.m.

So I took off last Thursday and Friday, to finish prepping the car and to travel down to Bancroft, ON.

Thursday was spent prepping the car and dealing with a stuck brake on the Explorer. Just as a sample I changed out the corroded hoop for a proper rated D-ring:

Many jobs like this had to be done, including mounting tool box, jack, spare tire, impact wrench in the trunk.

I also found out, at the last minute that I needed a 40BC Fire Extinguisher for the service area.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
6/26/17 11:12 a.m.

On Thursday, I also revealed my Secret Weapon. A friend had linked me up with an experienced British rallyist that has recently moved to Canada. He has both driven and co-driven events in Britain.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
6/26/17 11:16 a.m.

Friday was hauling day:

Took my time and averaged 55-60 mph on the way. Calculated it out and I averaged a touch over 15 mpg (USG) on the way down. Arrived in Bancroft around 3 pm. Stopped for some food and headed another 25 minutes to the cottage rental.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
6/26/17 11:26 a.m.

Saturday was recce morning and rally in the afternoon. We started with a set of prepared notes but after using them on the 1st stage we didn't like what we saw on the 2nd stage and decided to do our own from then on. There was a significant water crossing that was almost 18" deep. Any speed through it resulted in water over the hood.

Water Crossing

Set-up for service and ready to go.

No photos of the event - but here we are at the Finish!

Small entry - but we Finished and . . . . . . . . .

• 2nd Overall, 1st in 2WD

Car was amazing - the DMS suspension absorbed everything we threw at it. I was routinely taking the engine to the 8K redline and the underbody protection did it's job. Sorry no video, as I have yet to invest in an in-car set-up.

I think the following needs to be fixed:

• Rock in a rear caliper
  • Horn stopped working
  • When I was taking it off the trailer, the driver's side window jumped out of the track.
NGTD
NGTD UberDork
6/26/17 11:34 a.m.

Sunday was right back to volunteering. I helped run one of the MLRC Rallycross Championship events. Did Finish timing in the morning and a monitored the course in the afternoon.

java230
java230 SuperDork
6/26/17 11:43 p.m.

Woo-hoo! So awesome to see it out finally. I'm jealous.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
6/27/17 12:48 p.m.
java230 wrote: Woo-hoo! So awesome to see it out finally. I'm jealous.

Thanks - it was a blast!

Now like any other Rally Junkie, I'm looking for my next hit!

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
6/27/17 9:40 p.m.

Fixed the driver's side window tonight. No pics.

Going to move the car back outside. Easier to work on out there.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
7/26/17 11:35 p.m.

Ok - I fixed most of the pics - moved from the shiny happy people at Photobucket over to imgur!

BTW - I also edited the powertrain details. I found out it does not have the JDM ITR engine it does have a B16A with 172 Hp. But the good news - it spins both wheels - it has an LSD!!!

bearbrian13
bearbrian13 New Reader
11/20/18 3:42 p.m.

Please tell me there is more to this build. still loving every minute of the thread so far. 

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
6/25/19 1:58 p.m.

After a very LONG slumber up north, I finally got my truck on the road and retrieved my Rally Civic.

Plans:

• Replace bent rear DMS with Bilstein's with threaded collar
  • I am entered in a 3-event Rallysprint series called Ontario Rallysprint Championship. 
  • https://www.facebook.com/ontariorsc/
  • First event is Aug 24.
  • Lucky for me - almost every event is a 1-1.5 hr tow from my house.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
6/25/19 2:27 p.m.

Awesome, glad to hear things are moving forward again for you!  Good luck in August, and the preparations before hand!

spacecadet
spacecadet HalfDork
6/25/19 2:51 p.m.

Agree with sleepy, good luck in August.. Look forward to following along. 

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
7/31/19 9:38 a.m.

New Rear suspension - no one in NA rebuilds DSM shocks anymore. Mine had a bent shaft and all the oil was gone. I was looking at $1000 to mail the shock to Australia, get it re-built and mail it back to Canada. A friend recommended another option. Off-the-shelf Bilstein's with a threaded coller added. Kept the DMS "progressive" spring.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
8/23/19 5:49 p.m.

Over the last several days, I have finished up a bunch of stuff. Flushed the PS system, new spark plugs, installed my DMacks, and just general clean up. She's loaded up and ready to go in the morning. 

adam525i
adam525i Reader
8/24/19 8:55 a.m.

Brandon is your codriver? You're in for a fun day!

Good luck at the rallysprint.

Adam

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
8/26/19 8:27 a.m.
adam525i said:

Brandon is your codriver? You're in for a fun day!

Good luck at the rallysprint.

Adam

Yes Brandon Co-drove.

Thanks

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1P8uP5xGCFrKHcQ3XNFHmFL8Kk1iGNB4EaXWt9wCHIpoT5cL9fFfU7Us3NHpUfRs