bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
9/2/17 9:29 a.m.

You need more crossmember in the front, I can see the frame rail twisting in and out at the top!

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
9/2/17 3:40 p.m.

Well the Mustang IRS wheel mounting width is approximately 68" wide. With my widened wheels I'll be at ~84" rear track width. My current setup; 8.8 with 18X10 wheels measures at only a 74" track width. Plus 10" of rear width seems like a lot too me.

I wonder what track widths are some of you all running? 84" way too much?

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
9/2/17 3:41 p.m.

In reply to bentwrench:

Good eye. I'll be adding a cross member this winter.

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
9/6/17 3:58 p.m.

Finished up the chassis table that I'll use this winter when I lop off the back half of the Ranger.  The table and reference lines should keep everything true and where I want them.

Noser7
Noser7 New Reader
9/7/17 12:55 a.m.

Coming along nicely 

Noser7
Noser7 New Reader
9/30/17 3:48 a.m.

Hey bro i have a question. If you were to put value on your time and skill how much would you charge to do something like this to another ranger. I just need a ball park figure to aim for

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
10/12/17 6:21 a.m.

In reply to Noser7 :

Wow that's a tough question.  I couldn't even begin to really start accurately adding up all the time.  I doubt many of the other GRM builders could do it with their projects as well. 

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
10/12/17 7:00 a.m.
JGRAHAM said:

In reply to Noser7 :

Wow that's a tough question.  I couldn't even begin to really start accurately adding up all the time.  I doubt many of the other GRM builders could do it with their projects as well. 

This....      or should I say thats' a 64 Thou.( Hundred) Dollar Question.

Noser7
Noser7 New Reader
10/15/17 3:47 p.m.

Damn i really want to do something like this to my truck i just kinda want to know around how much a shop would charge to do something like this

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
10/15/17 4:00 p.m.

I bought a complete Supra IRS to use in my project.

I changed my mind now and will be using a 3 link rear suspension with a straight axle.

My reasoning is that the idea of IRS might be a good thing but it is very complicated to adjust.

Easily adjusting the rear roll center is critical to dialing in the car at the track.

STM317
STM317 Dork
10/22/17 7:51 a.m.
Noser7 said:

Damn i really want to do something like this to my truck i just kinda want to know around how much a shop would charge to do something like this

Average shop labor rates would be $75/hr on the low end to over $100/hr. With the engine build and trans swap, custom front suspension, and all of the body mods there's probably a couple hundred man hours here. Plus the cost of parts.

Noser7
Noser7 New Reader
10/31/17 9:25 a.m.

Man that sucks was kinda hoping it came out pretty cheap. Ima have to look for a welder

Noser7
Noser7 New Reader
10/31/17 9:28 a.m.

Either that or sell the truck and buy a foxbody but damn this ranger is toooooooo sick just handles like E36 M3 haha

Noser7
Noser7 New Reader
10/31/17 9:30 a.m.

Thats weird meant to say handles like E36 M3 it put e36 m3 

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
10/31/17 9:46 a.m.

When it comes to custom fabrication:

[ GOOD ] [ FAST ] [ CHEAP ]

Pick two.

Alternatively, make an offer on this truck when it's done, and then you KNOW what you're getting into, the seller KNOWS what he ~has~ gotten into, you don't have to wait for it to be finished, and he gets to fund his next truck with the proceeds.

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
11/4/17 7:57 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG :

Well said SkinnyG.  

I'd imagine we have had similar thoughts, but the best buy is probably finding someone's unfinished project that they've lost interest in.  With a keen eye you can probably identify when someone has invested in good parts and planning into a project, only to later to have lost the drive to finish it.  At that point cash in their hand and free'ed up shop space is much more appealing. 

Anyways just a thought....

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
1/3/18 7:31 a.m.

Well winter has finally came back around and it's time to start on the Ranger's next phase of the build.

The main objectives for the winter include:

Mustang IRS 

Electric assist power steering

Wilwood manual brake and clutch master cylinder setup

Mustang 14" front brake setup

Front chassis stiffening reinforcement

18x13 wheels with 335 Rivals all the way around

That's a fair amount to do and I'd like to get it all done before the end of March.  We'll have to see, fingers crossed!

So to officially start the winter work I pulled the bed, battery, and fuel system off the rear.

Next came the point of no return....

Now it was time for the chassis table I built earlier in the year.

Once the front end was square and level on the table I got to work on the S550 IRS subframe.  I needed to make new mounting points on the existing subframe weldment that weren't as complex as the OE placement.

Once the subframe was modified I could place the IRS unit exactly where I wanted it on the table.

That is all for now.  I'll be updating the thread much more frequently now that work has begun.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
1/3/18 7:49 a.m.

this has to be my favorite build on GRM

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
1/3/18 8:24 a.m.

In reply to FlightService :

Thanks FlightService!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
1/3/18 8:29 a.m.

I click on this thread every time it pops up, but this time it had been a while so I'd forgotten what was going on.  Today's update caused me to inadvertently make a "fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff" sound before I remembered I'm sitting in an otherwise quiet office surprise

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
1/3/18 8:59 a.m.

Next came the point of in return....

Well illustrated and well captioned. "That escalated quickly" came to mind.

The value of a good jig surface can not be overstated when doing this stuff. I think you have enough vice grips to get the job done!

Pete

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
1/3/18 9:15 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Pete,

You can only imagine what I was thinking when the saw-zall cut the last of the frame rail and the rear end slowly rolled away from the cab!

Your right and I honestly wish I had made this table last year when I was doing the front SLA.  

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
1/3/18 10:24 a.m.

Are you going to try and get the front track to more closely match the width of the new rear?  That S550 IRS looks wiiide vs. the width of the cab.

Very cool build, as always.  

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
1/3/18 3:40 p.m.

In reply to pres589 :

The S550 is quite a bit wider.  I've thought about moving the front rim offset out.  This will get track width more in line and help with inner clearance issues on the front. 

einy
einy HalfDork
1/3/18 5:58 p.m.
FlightService said:

this has to be my favorite build on GRM

Agreed !!  So thorough, so professional .... 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mGTrj6eL6LyrC5APOtjOu4nKhmHx6Z8UdOOm4aeXLS4W9AwT3bbVIolu9fpD1Gyp