1 2 3
vwcorvette
vwcorvette Dork
12/6/15 7:41 p.m.

So if you were checking the soccer mom's revenge thread you'd have seen I got a 92 Safari. It's rwd, auto, short body. It cost me all of $250.

I intend to install a v8 and to that end got a pair of conversion mounts from Patgizz for 10 bucks.

I have the L48 which was recently pulled from my Stingray documented in another thread. The friend who assisted with that has a spare truck v8 as well as assorted parts and suggested we just put together an engine from the best of all. I still have the edelbrock manifold and 600 cfm carb that was on the L48. But I'm wondering if I shouldn't find a 92 era truck or van for cheap and steal the engine, injection, and assorted parts and sell off the rest? Ideas?

Looking at lowering springs up front with good shocks and serious sway bar. There are kits available to flip the axle over the rear leafs (which are composite, not metal) and then do good shocks and serious sway bar.

Gonna keep the 4l60e to minimize conversion headaches.

Thinking side pipes for exhaust.

I have a pair of 275/45 17 NT05 I got free two years ago for the drag portion. Would need 17 inch rims for them obviously. Unfortunately, the bolt pattern does not match the rims on my Vette or I'd use those. Would need adapters otherwise. Suggestions?

Lastly, the right side has guardrail damage to the front and rear fenders. Front is easy enough to change but rear could be a challenge as I have no body skills aside from patching errant rust holes with tiger hair.

Won't be too many updates as it's gonna sit a while over the winter cause the Vette is in the garage and also needs attention.

Pics to come.

Robbie
Robbie SuperDork
12/6/15 9:12 p.m.

YESS!! That is all.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
12/6/15 9:23 p.m.

Can't wait to see where this goes

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
12/6/15 9:36 p.m.

I am overwhelmed by the awesomeness of this thread title. I only hope the van lives up to it's potential.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
12/6/15 9:42 p.m.

94-95 truks had the best tbi programming and the ability to run the electronic trans.

Was the van original tbi or cpi? If tbi, it should be pretty easy to run a small block on the original wiring, ecm, etc. Also, the 4.3 accessory drive bolts to a small block. So money saved. Same with a 4.3 tbi: same size as a 350 tbi. Just different injectors. If it's a complete van, and you have a 350 long block and tin, from a accessories/injection standpoint you have nothing to worry about.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
12/6/15 9:44 p.m.

Oh, adaptors and c4 sawblades would be awsome. Just buy the $50+ hubcentric ones off eBay.

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
12/6/15 9:56 p.m.

After riding in an 89 astro with a smallblock and nitrous as a teenager i swore to never do it again. Without suspension work thats scarier then anything else ive been over 100mph in.

Ohh and find a spare rear axle, between a stock one and that v8 conversation i helped change 7 of the stock ten bolts. Might not be as bad with less weight.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette Dork
12/8/15 7:56 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

Thanks. That's something I hadn't realized.

I appreciate the positive vibes from you guys. I've wanted to do the challenge for a long time but never made time for it. With the soccer mom revenge challenge even my wife has caved and is "okay" with me doing this. I think she just wants it out of my system!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
12/8/15 8:44 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette:

Lol-That's like saying I should just go ahead and try heroin once so I can quit wondering what the fuss is about and get on with my life.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
12/9/15 10:42 a.m.

Hold out for '96-'02 van engine with vortec heads. It's a cam and springs away from awesomeville, population you!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
12/9/15 10:47 a.m.

If you do keep the tbi, the chip in the computer is different. We can probably hook you up with one though. Knock sensor and filter are different as well.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette Dork
12/9/15 4:38 p.m.

This one's TBI. Simplist is best, so keep as much original unless going to carb since I already have.

Angry: What style injection on the 96 and up G-vans? I've read that the G-van exhaust manifolds are the way to go.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette Dork
12/9/15 4:39 p.m.

Here he is: JCDV for short.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette Dork
12/9/15 4:40 p.m.

Front fender damage:

Rear fender damage:

vwcorvette
vwcorvette Dork
12/9/15 4:41 p.m.

I should be able to get a used front fender and replace it. rear will taking some massaging for sure.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette Dork
12/9/15 4:42 p.m.

Thanks Patgizz:

Still need you to send me an email with the sale price so I have proof for the budget.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette Dork
12/9/15 4:44 p.m.

My first van build. LOL

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
12/9/15 5:12 p.m.

Vortec 350 used mpfi. Also have a different intake manifold bolt pattern than any other sbc. A cheap single plane with the vortec pattern, a 4bbl to tbi adapter plate, and done.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette Dork
12/9/15 7:31 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Vortec 350 used mpfi. Also have a different intake manifold bolt pattern than any other sbc. A cheap single plane with the vortec pattern, a 4bbl to tbi adapter plate, and done.

And I'll still need a computer swap from 6 to 8?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
12/9/15 7:43 p.m.

Yup. Well, chip, knock sensor and filtet, 350 injectors. If going vortec, adjustable fuel pressure regulator so you van bump the pressure a bit for feeding more horsepower.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette Dork
12/9/15 8:09 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Yup. Well, chip, knock sensor and filtet, 350 injectors. If going vortec, adjustable fuel pressure regulator so you van bump the pressure a bit for feeding more horsepower.

You got a good internet source for information or are you the open book? Haha

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
12/9/15 8:13 p.m.

Its sourced from a bunch of places over a bunch of years. Good start for reading and learning would be thirdgen.org, gearheadefi, and gmt800.

And when your head starts to spin, let me know.

If you can't tell, im a huge tbi fanboy.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/9/15 8:29 p.m.

I wouldn't assume you are going to make any real power through the TBI as its air flow potential is pretty limited. Maybe 300hp?

I've personally been planning to put two of them on a tunnel ram in my old chevy pickup for maximum WTF.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
12/9/15 8:51 p.m.

There are some guy's getting 300 rwhp out of a ultimate tbi setup. 454 tbi with ultimate mods upper limit is 425ish

Opti
Opti HalfDork
12/9/15 9:21 p.m.

junkyard vortecs cleaned up and a used GMPP intake for a nice carb, if you want more power, maybe even a cheap used LT1 cam.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4OMFGUkBua20l7daUfqg7PlsSyzKQ8VwDgEGIeStqgYGVcM0roygPoFQgfq23NAA