Greaseonmyhands
Greaseonmyhands New Reader
9/12/17 7:22 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem:

Well I hope the best for him

Go_Gators
Go_Gators New Reader
9/13/17 1:45 p.m.

I AM ALIVE!!! (more importantly to yall, so is the project!!!)

so, yea, hurricane drill sucked. we didn't get any damage, just a lot of inconvenience. 

with the time off from work I made some progress. I have nailed down a location for the radiator. its basically in the stock location. I have it suspended in place with zip ties. use that to template the mounts I am going to make. post to follow. 

otherwise, I made a back up structure for my rear fascia that hasn't sold. so going to try selling it as wall "art" (since my wife wont let me keep it hanging in our house).

since modding never takes a break... how do you like my debri hauler? I knew I hung on to the old oven's racks for a reason. triple the capacity!!

Go_Gators
Go_Gators New Reader
9/13/17 1:51 p.m.

so, there it is. zip tied on real good.

lower brackets will mount to the swaybar mounting points. upper brackets to the pre-mounted threaded inserts on the top of the frame. going to remove ~13" of frame when the time comes. obviously the lower rad outlet is going to get moved. a buddy is going to tig on 1.25" bungs so that I can use C5 stock hoses. there will also be clearance to run the factory intake tube too!

this is the expansion tank, again, tig welding required. going to run what use to be the heater hoses to it and the steam relief line that comes from the heats. this will obviously be my high point bleed aswell. 

bluej
bluej UltraDork
9/13/17 1:51 p.m.

In reply to Go_Gators :

Bill Mesker
Bill Mesker New Reader
9/13/17 5:42 p.m.

It's a relief to hear you're ok! And I like the wheelbarrow mod haha smiley yes 

Greaseonmyhands
Greaseonmyhands New Reader
9/13/17 7:06 p.m.

Yeah, glad all is well for you. Really like the overflow tank. Can't wait to see the frame rails get chopped. 

I bought a vette yesterday, 01 6spd hatchback. Getting it delivered from 13hrs away, should have it next week. Might just start a competing build thread ;)

Two_Tools_In_a_Tent
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent Reader
9/16/17 12:41 p.m.

What's with all those zip ties? We have a new thing that's been going around here called Duct Tape ! Simply remarkable stuff—comes in colors.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators New Reader
9/18/17 10:36 a.m.
Greaseonmyhands said:

Yeah, glad all is well for you. Really like the overflow tank. Can't wait to see the frame rails get chopped. 

I bought a vette yesterday, 01 6spd hatchback. Getting it delivered from 13hrs away, should have it next week. Might just start a competing build thread ;)

they come apart easy! I don't think maintaining one in its normal configuration would be too much fun. nothing is easily accessible...

Go_Gators
Go_Gators New Reader
9/18/17 10:38 a.m.
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent said:

What's with all those zip ties? We have a new thing that's been going around here called Duct Tape ! Simply remarkable stuff—comes in colors.

no way. I am zip tie guy. they come in colors and I hate to say this, but I even have a bit of a system. white zip tie = temporary, meaning I intend to remove it when I am done with whatever. black zip tie = permanent, I no intentions  to remove it. ever.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators New Reader
9/19/17 7:26 a.m.

part out update... crossed the $2000 net mark this week. total sales ~$2675.  here are the parts that have sold (keeping track in XLS):

dr mirror

pass mirror

license plate bracket

convertible top

trunk lid

front pass fender

extending radio antenna

headlight motor dr

headlight motor pass

dr inner fender, rear section

dr front fender

pass headlight cover

dr door panel

HVAC control

center console

pass seat

dr air bag

air bags modules

a pillar pass

a pillar dr

trunk latch mechanism

tonneau cover latch mechanism

trunk floor board, center section

6spd shift boot

pass sun visor

dr sun visor

trunk open/ fog light buttons

dr trim around fog light

pass seat belt

dr seat belt

trunk floor board, dr

trunk floor board, pass

headlight actuator controller

HVAC compressor

hood release cables

I currently have ~25 items on ebay, craigslist and vette forums. really want to sell the passenger door, drivers seat and the rear fsacia. they take up space and selling them should get me over the $3000 net threshold.

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
9/19/17 9:54 a.m.

Zip ties also don't require solvents to remove adhesive after they've been removed. 

Go_Gators
Go_Gators New Reader
9/22/17 8:24 a.m.

finished fabricating four brackets for the radiator/electric fan. the tricky part was getting the brackets to hold OE C5 fan assembly and the universal fit aluminum radiator. I was able to utilize existing threaded inserts, lowers use the sway bar mounts and the uppers use two inserts that held something on the front of the car.

collectively they weight 5lbs, which is more than I was hoping for. someday maybe I will drill out some excess material. they certainly sturdy.

with the radiator in the lower position I can use OE hoses and if I want to, run the intake forward. The radiator's bungs have to be moved and replaced with 1.25" so I bought an aluminum hose adapter from speedway that was a 6" section with a nipple on each end. 

Go_Gators
Go_Gators New Reader
9/22/17 8:26 a.m.

here is the view from the front, cutting off excess frame is the next activity.

and the clearance between the accessories and the fan assembly:

Go_Gators
Go_Gators New Reader
9/24/17 3:40 p.m.

A fellow autocrosser helped me tremendously by tig-ing the small radiator bungs on welding the expansion tank to the L-channel bracket. certainly the finest welds this vehicle will feature. 

Go_Gators
Go_Gators New Reader
9/24/17 3:43 p.m.

after the radiator got modified I proceeded with removing unnecessary frame from the front. she is 15" shorter now. 

fit up. boxing in the front frame cross member. 

Go_Gators
Go_Gators New Reader
9/24/17 3:45 p.m.

I am still several afternoons from finishing the front cross member and boxing in the front frame corners. then I need to mount and route the PS cooler and plumb the cooling system. hopefully, no more than a week or so from seeing it back on the ground, really looking forward to see how it looks with the front clipped. 

java230
java230 SuperDork
9/24/17 5:47 p.m.

Looks great! Somehow I was expecting tube in front of the radiator. Nice use of what you have instead 

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
9/25/17 8:11 p.m.

I feel like an shiny happy person. I was mentioned as being close on the first page but just now got to reading your thread. Great build.  Hoping you can bring it to the Challenge if just for us to check out. 

Go_Gators
Go_Gators New Reader
9/26/17 11:56 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

thanks!    if you are ever in the fort caroline area you are welcome to come by!!!     

yea, I don't see it happening this year unfortunately. I am hoping to come down to watch for a bit, but even that is iffy..  its turning out to be a busy weekend, Fernandina's centre street car show and our local Autocross event is that weekend.  I know the wife wont let me do all three.... sad

Go_Gators
Go_Gators New Reader
9/27/17 3:38 p.m.

putting a big check mark on -front frame shortening.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators New Reader
9/27/17 3:39 p.m.

next objective is plumbing. cooling system and power steering cooler, you know the type, very universal.  then back on the ground, which I am very much looking forward too....

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
9/27/17 4:11 p.m.

How far in front of the wheels is the frame now?  I love the look of a car where the tires are the four corners. 

Go_Gators
Go_Gators New Reader
9/28/17 6:13 a.m.

yea, fully exposed front and rear tires look is exactly what I am going for. I think with the 315s or 335s series tires poking out on all four corners its going to look pretty menacing.

the front of the frame will stick out ~2" beyond the front tires. I will add a guard when I get around to the roll cage that will protrude forward at an angle to protect the radiator from cones and such...

Go_Gators
Go_Gators New Reader
9/30/17 9:18 p.m.

front end is pretty much done for now. today I made two brackets to restrain the radiator vertically. the passenger side bracket also retains the engine's head steam/water hose and holds the air filter body.

since I am not using the intake's radiator bridge I had to put the intake pressure and temp probes in the new elbow.

Go_Gators
Go_Gators New Reader
9/30/17 9:19 p.m.

and back on the ground. ready to run... almost...

6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jirMZkmJgLIZwIlhtt6fsUSrAJ7HoXkQti0ob4Som5MWRdaNUOBz1130WsWSjWnB