mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/16/17 11:41 a.m.

My three year old Cadillac leans that much. I'm not saying it's perfect for autocross, but I don't think it looks too bad considering what you're working with.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
8/16/17 11:42 a.m.

In reply to Crackers:

it makes it more comfortable. Yeah.... thats what I'm going for.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
8/16/17 5:55 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

They do, Kinda required for street use.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/EvcP_Pc8JeY

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
8/16/17 6:58 p.m.

Power valves are also known to fail with any backfires, so I've been told. So it might not be the root cause of your problems, but there's a reasonable chance it's been damaged because of it.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
8/17/17 10:53 a.m.

So.... watching that video I need to check my carb's specs. Is it possible that I have the wrong powervalve for my engine? IE, if the carb was intened for use on a cam'd engine that pulls 12" of vacuum, my 20" may be too much?

Also... it's really really really hard to keep a light foot and not open the secondaries. I like how it sounds sucking in all that air and fuel.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
8/17/17 11:48 a.m.

If your engine pulls more vacuum, the power valve wouldn't be opening soon enough, so you should be running lean or flat-spot where it should be opening.

General rule-of-thumb is a power valve rated for half your idle vacuum (though some say half cruise vacuum).

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
8/18/17 8:57 a.m.

11's in a box

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
8/19/17 5:52 p.m.

I now make 11's. Pics/vid tomorrow.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
8/19/17 8:37 p.m.

11's are fun

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
8/19/17 8:47 p.m.

How streetable or potentially un-streetable has this become?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
8/20/17 3:58 p.m.

With the manual trans very. Sure it clicks when turning into parking spots but the (horrible) turning radius isn't any worse. You do feel it engage more Than the Yukon lsd in the sierra but everything with this truck is more visceral so it feels right.

Plus side the wife went for a ride with me and the only thing that embarrassed her was the unwillingness to start hot. Cold it lights instantly. Hot it cranks a bit and requires judicious throttle input.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
8/20/17 6:06 p.m.

Cool to hear!

I don't know if I mentioned this here or not, my truck's "hot re-start" is always a "flood-clear." I just accept it.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
8/21/17 8:57 a.m.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
8/21/17 9:06 a.m.

If you pave it they will come......elevenses and all

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
8/21/17 2:49 p.m.

3.73 gears and an S10 NV3500 puts you just about right in second and third is a little closer to second than in the Tremec, plus the pre-98 S10s have the shifter forwards like your current transmission. And they are cheap.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
8/21/17 2:56 p.m.

I never liked the feel of the NV3500. I had two full sizes with them and hated them. Plus I'd have to go to a hydraulic clutch. I am never going back to a hydraulic after having a real one.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
8/22/17 8:54 a.m.

So, I can steer with the throttle now. What I've learned is A.) I need more power and 2.) I now have axle hop. I hear the second can be cured with more of the first.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
8/27/17 9:14 a.m.

So for E36 M3s and giggles I changed the vacuum port for the dist advance. No more low speed high load back fires. I was using the one on the metering block and switched to one on the base.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
8/28/17 9:24 a.m.

ok... colder morning. one backfire when the truck was still under 150* coolant temp, and air temp around 60. Once it was warmer, gone. ADjust the choke?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
8/28/17 9:38 a.m.

Backfire through the carb? Give it more choke.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
8/28/17 9:41 a.m.

In reply to SkinnyG:

that's what I was thinking just wanted to confirm.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
9/5/17 9:10 a.m.

TON of parts on their way this week. Bushing kit arrived friday. Ball joints, tie rods, sleeves, pitman and idler arms as a kit should be here thursday. Spindles, springs, flipkit and c-notch by monday.

Even though I have an even on the 17th, the steering is getting too sloppy for me to be comfortable to drive it 70 miles, beat on it and then drive another 70 home. The idler arm is pretty loose, inner tie rods are as well. 

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
9/10/17 6:16 p.m.

Pile ignore parts is still huge but the front end is entirely stripped. 

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
9/10/17 7:13 p.m.

On mine, I may lose the sway bar riser bracket, and mount the sway bar directly to the frame.  The front junk hangs pretty low.  I also think the sway bar may fit better upside down with lowering springs.  Let me know what you think when you're putting it back together.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
9/10/17 7:51 p.m.

It'll be a couple weeks before I get to that point. I was thinking about the riser brackets as mine keep getting smashed on parking blocks. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zZhRsLy6W7fzJcnIqZBUkVTpIJIvZ4B4ONSnrjjvFbSORHD1JaTG5DGhwFIGKOrS