Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/22/17 5:28 a.m.

Hell yes!!!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/22/17 5:41 a.m.

Lining those bolts up as you lower the car is an amazing feeling, isn't it?

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
5/22/17 11:11 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Lining those bolts up as you lower the car is an amazing feeling, isn't it?

Felt great and it feels incredibly weird that the car is so much closer to done.

Recon1342
Recon1342 New Reader
5/22/17 1:43 p.m.

Bravo!

That's two white exotics with the engines back in this week. Red letter day, beers are on me!

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
5/23/17 2:40 p.m.

Tranquility base here. The Eagle has landed.

onemanarmy
onemanarmy New Reader
5/23/17 3:12 p.m.

Your lambo is amazing, but we are gonna need more pics/info on your buddies garage with the fancy car collection too.

coexist
coexist New Reader
5/23/17 7:01 p.m.

V8's going into metal containers, big deal

/joke

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
5/28/17 3:34 p.m.

Not superb pics but I made a flat media CF panel for my ECU mount. The PO gutted out the areas behind the seats for amplifiers. Now they will house EFI goodies. Going to work on the oil cooler and other bits today. It'll end up with carpet and look stock since the CF panel is quite thin.

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
5/28/17 11:01 p.m.

Alright, well, i took video and facebook was like "you had music on in your garage so berkeley you, you can't upload that." But I got all the lines I need, as well as coolant hoses today, tons of clamps. Got the oil cooler pump hooked back up (we had it disabled for dyno day).

I flushed the transmission and holy crap there is a LOT of stuff in there. I'm going to need to flush it several times but man there was just so much stuff in there. Looks like that transmission has never been flushed. When I took the back plating off and the plug a bunch of ancient goo was in a nice big puddle and just sort of.... oozed out.

If anyone has recommendations on some good liquids to fill that puppy with and flush all the crap out with i'm all ears.

Also apparently the drain plugs are a 22x1.5 plug. Mine are pretty crappy looking, going to try and give them an acid bath and if they don't clean up I'll get new ones. Cross reference appears to show that they fit some BMWs. If anyone has any recommendations there I'm also all ears.

The plate fits marvelously. Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to finish sealing up the floor board, get the pedals out, inspect the bushings, replace if necessary and start putting the interior back together. I'll also run the harness into the engine bay so that I can start actually wiring it up.

At this point, i want to scrub all the coolant pipes and clean them off. They've got a lot of residue on them. Nothing that won't be easy to clean off, but I've seen how aluminum coolant pipes fair over the years on my Porsches when there's residue buildup and it just eats away at them. It would appear the PO didn't use aluminum friendly coolant. Not surprising since the cylinders were flooded with green E36 M3ty coolant in the first place.

From there I need to test the headlight motors. They apparently use fiat X1/9 motors, does anyone know where I can source these? They look an awful lot like Porsche 914 motors and Porsche 924 motors. I can go through the wiring on them and cleaning them up. But if by chance the gears inside are crappy, I'll want to replace those.

Window motors are cleaned up and ready to go in the doors. Oddly enough, Porsche 924/944 motors fit them. At least the motor part. The electonics are different on the ends, but they mate directly to the old body and work (tested them). Should be an enormous upgrade over the stock motors. Who would have thought that $100 worth of 944 window motors would be such an upgrade over the $1250 stock motors. The internals look so weak on them, it's no surprise they deteriorate so badly over the years.

Progress, progress, progress.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
5/29/17 1:01 a.m.

ATF (cheap Dex 3) would probably be a good choice to flush the trans out. This is a transverse transaxle (just a bunch of helical gears) so the actual lubrication requirements should be pretty minimal.

mblommel
mblommel HalfDork
5/29/17 11:25 a.m.

In reply to corsepervita:

Contact Matt at Midwest Bayless for X1/9 headlight motors. He'll probably have some good used ones available. He also may have the other various Fiat trim pieces that may be broken on your car. They have tons of used and NOS Fiata and Lancia stuff.

Edit: I was bored so I looked it up.

Heres a NOS headlight motor. They have a bunch of NOS and reconditioned ones here.

Edit edit: They also have this nice aluminum trunk release housing to replace the plastic piece that always is broken. I know they used them on 308 GT4's I think they used them on Urracos too, so maybe they are applicable to Jalpas too.

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
5/29/17 2:30 p.m.

Thanks guys. I'll try the ATF for a good flush. I just need something super cheap to flush all this crap out of the transmission and i think i'll be fine. Then I can do a small drive, flush again, drive again, flush again and I think we'll be gold.

I'll check with midwest bayless! Thanks guys!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
5/31/17 12:50 p.m.

If any of those coolant pipes are cast, and in bad shape, Id be happy to re-cast them. I have the tooling and means to cast aluminum and bronze at home.

Great work on checking things off the list. Getting the engine in was a big one. Super excited to see the progress in the thread.

Harvey
Harvey Dork
5/31/17 1:56 p.m.

Wow, this Lambo is getting close to actually running!

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
5/31/17 4:46 p.m.

What type of lube is standard for your trans? Gear lube? Motor oil?

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
5/31/17 5:22 p.m.
corsepervita wrote: Thanks guys. I'll try the ATF for a good flush. I just need something super cheap to flush all this crap out of the transmission and i think i'll be fine. Then I can do a small drive, flush again, drive again, flush again and I think we'll be gold. I'll check with midwest bayless! Thanks guys!

There's an X1/9 at the local Pick-N-Pull in SE Portland, I can probably go check it out to see if there are any headlight motors left.

mblommel
mblommel HalfDork
5/31/17 6:17 p.m.

In reply to Stefan:

A lot of times the diodes go bad on those motors. Fairly simple to fix though.

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
6/4/17 4:46 p.m.
Jerry From LA wrote: What type of lube is standard for your trans? Gear lube? Motor oil?

SAE 80W/90 is what it is recommended.

Exhaust is somewhat on. Working on the axle shafts. Then perhaps I can actually put the car on the ground for the first time in 3 years.

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
6/4/17 4:47 p.m.
Stefan wrote:
corsepervita wrote: Thanks guys. I'll try the ATF for a good flush. I just need something super cheap to flush all this crap out of the transmission and i think i'll be fine. Then I can do a small drive, flush again, drive again, flush again and I think we'll be gold. I'll check with midwest bayless! Thanks guys!
There's an X1/9 at the local Pick-N-Pull in SE Portland, I can probably go check it out to see if there are any headlight motors left.

If you end up that way that'd be badass. But don't go out of your way just for me.

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
6/5/17 12:00 p.m.

Ok, had to change a few things to make the oil cooler fit. Lines everywhere, engine bay ugly, disregard the mess. But it's in finally. Exhaust is halfway done. Not going to use the rubber straps, will probably make some CF straps because heat and longevity.

You can see also in this photo.... AC lines, which will be removed (I have no AC, and no room for AC due to engine modifications), and a few of the old carb lines.

As you can see with the scoop here on the side of the car, it'll run air right into the shroud on the side of the cooler. So basically can think of it like some form of ram air.

corsepervita
corsepervita Reader
6/25/17 10:56 p.m.

Alright.

• Exhaust finished except muffler. Sadly, I think some of the exhaust studs are trying to strip. I'm going to have to helicoil 2 of them, which sucks ass. I can do it with the engine in. For now, the torque is fine but they /started/ feeling mushy. The rest are fine.
  • Oil system is finished.
  • Old fuel system is out at this point. Working on plumbing a solution for the return to the tank nearest the fuel regulator to avoid heat from the exhaust headers since that's the biggest issue on most of them.
  • Water system partially done
  • Breather system finished and wrapped up.

Tomorrow's agenda:

• Finish cleaning out tank, install new AN connectors, install fuel pump, run braided line, get fuel system finished. Should be quick and easy.
  • Get some adapters for routing so that I can cleanly route all of the hoses and connectors so stuff isn't just laying in there.
  • Start wiring up the harness from the megasquirt to the engine bay from under the seat area, custom cut, heat shrink, and solder everything.

Sorry for all the oil and E36 M3, I got dirty as hell and the car got dirty. It'll clean.

Graystang
Graystang New Reader
6/26/17 8:13 a.m.

All I can say is WOW!

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
6/26/17 9:27 a.m.

I really get a kick out of seeing a GRM sticker on a Lamborghini. It's almost subversive. . Thanks for the update.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
6/26/17 9:40 a.m.

Those ITB's are so awesome.

All the dirt washes off and you'll be driving it soon. Looking forward to that video.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
6/26/17 10:56 a.m.

Looking great. Also cant wait to see the first fire and the obligatory smokey burnout videos.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3UlAOqK6czR31HaL77T6zfnmNsaiyyLds9nt8iWrCH1RHV3wyH84OI7MVkqnUcec