mck1117
mck1117 Reader
7/25/17 7:35 p.m.

In reply to Stefan:

That's the low pressure, in-tank fuel pump priming the fuel system before you start the car so that cranking is quicker. Runs for about 1 second when you unlock the car on my 2013. Vacuum pump is run off the intake cam, so it can only spin when the engine is spinning.

danvan
danvan New Reader
7/25/17 7:35 p.m.

In reply to corsepervita:

I have used a Moroso vacuum pump on my autocross Corvette for about 4 years now it works great put a vacuum res. in you will never drive with better power breaks the same every time you hit them.

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
7/25/17 9:01 p.m.

Congratulations. I bet you're looking forward to the first drive.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
7/25/17 10:19 p.m.

In reply to mck1117:

Huh, I stand corrected. Thanks!

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
7/29/17 4:25 p.m.

Playing with the fuel map more, leaned out more and mannnnnnn is it running way better. The fuel is still on the rich side but wayyyyyyy better than what it was. Currently it has no temp sensor so it is assuming it's just warmed up already so it's stubborn to start. Got an aluminum bung for the sensor but god it sounds so good. My friend nate came over and hasn't seen it run yet. So I fired it up for him.

Here we go

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
7/31/17 8:36 a.m.

I may be wrong, but I believe that rev-happy Italian V8 sounds are on a continuous loop as background noise in Heaven.

At least, that's what Ive heard.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
7/31/17 3:31 p.m.

Brought my GPS speedometer project to work so my coworker could see it since he was really interested.

I haven't had a chance to take it outside and test it, but I got it to where it's powered up and attempting to send data back, currently nothing since no locked on satellites. Hard to do that inside though. Lunch is over though so I gotta get back to it.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/31/17 5:08 p.m.
corsepervita wrote: Playing with the fuel map more, leaned out more and mannnnnnn is it running way better. The fuel is still on the rich side but wayyyyyyy better than what it was. Currently it has no temp sensor so it is assuming it's just warmed up already so it's stubborn to start. Got an aluminum bung for the sensor but god it sounds so good. My friend nate came over and hasn't seen it run yet. So I fired it up for him. Here we go

The leaner during the regular running may be correct, but what I hear is that you need more cranking fuel. Quite a bit more.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy SuperDork
7/31/17 7:07 p.m.

Love your coffee mug

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
8/2/17 3:50 p.m.

Ok, so I ripped the old GPS unit out. It wasn't doing what I wanted. My buddy who runs ArcFlashLLC (makes amazing cars, dashes, gauges, etc, you name it, he does it), happens to be an adafruit dealer. He heavily recommended I ditch the crap GPS I was using, and go with their "Ultimate GPS Breakout board".

Read some reviews, found out he uses it to track GPS coordinates for trackdays on laps and what not. Turns out they are incredibly accurate and very fast.

Go home, rip the other gps out, toss this breakout board in, review a few things, set new pinouts, and blammo... snappy, constant GPS data. Tossed the antenna in my window, read out the lat/long, put it in google maps, and it had it down to a couple of feet of my computer room. Crazy good.

So now i just need to parse the data and figure out a way to map the stepper motor range to be in line with the gauge, and then put the mapping of the mph range in there as well. Easy to test when that's done. Toss the whole assembly in my little 924, go drive, plug the USB into my stereo for power, and watch and make sure it's right.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/2/17 4:03 p.m.

Is that GPS based on tracking cell tower pings like a smart phone? Doesnt that require a data package be sent and received across a cell network? Is there some kind of data cost involved?

Otherwise, I love solid hombrewed engineering solutions. This ranks right up there. Bravo.

mck1117
mck1117 Reader
8/2/17 4:18 p.m.

GPS is free to use, funded by our tax dollars. The satellites constantly broadcast signals, and your GPS receiver receives those and does some (actually pretty complicated) math to figure out where (and when) you are.

All you have to pay for is a device that can receive and decode the signals.

mck1117
mck1117 Reader
8/2/17 4:23 p.m.

In reply to corsepervita:

I've also had pretty good luck with the Venus GPS chipset, found on this board from Sparkfun. It supports external antenna, and can do up to 20hz update rate.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
8/2/17 4:33 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Is that GPS based on tracking cell tower pings like a smart phone? Doesnt that require a data package be sent and received across a cell network? Is there some kind of data cost involved? Otherwise, I love solid hombrewed engineering solutions. This ranks right up there. Bravo.

As mck mentioned, it's free to use. Basically a GPS receiver will track a number of satellites and determine location. The microcontroller (in this case, a little Arduino Uno), uses rx/tx pins to send and receive requests at the GPS receiver.

It then sends back NMEA data, which flies out in spurts very quickly in a $GPGGA format.

So it'll look like this:

$GPGGA,123519,4807.038,N,01131.000,E,1,08,0.9,545.4,M,46.9,M,,*47

Which means this Where: GGA Global Positioning System Fix Data 123519 Fix taken at 12:35:19 UTC 4807.038,N Latitude 48 deg 07.038' N 01131.000,E Longitude 11 deg 31.000' E 1 Fix quality: 0 = invalid 1 = GPS fix (SPS) 2 = DGPS fix 3 = PPS fix 4 = Real Time Kinematic 5 = Float RTK 6 = estimated (dead reckoning) (2.3 feature) 7 = Manual input mode 8 = Simulation mode 08 Number of satellites being tracked 0.9 Horizontal dilution of position 545.4,M Altitude, Meters, above mean sea level 46.9,M Height of geoid (mean sea level) above WGS84 ellipsoid (empty field) time in seconds since last DGPS update (empty field) DGPS station ID number *47 the checksum data, always begins with *

(citation used from NMEA data page)

This data is spat out every few milliseconds, it's very fast. So as long as you can tell your microcontroller to read back a loop that takes that data, parses it, and makes sense of it with some basic math... boom, you've got an input.

My GPS controller needs 4 things:

A 5v input, a ground, a receive, and a transmit pin. That's all it needs to operate. Pop an antenna on it, put it out in the open... and then send it requests for data, it shoots them back, spit them out on my serial interface and i can see them.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/2/17 5:22 p.m.
corsepervita wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote: Is that GPS based on tracking cell tower pings like a smart phone? Doesnt that require a data package be sent and received across a cell network? Is there some kind of data cost involved? Otherwise, I love solid hombrewed engineering solutions. This ranks right up there. Bravo.
As mck mentioned, it's free to use. Basically a GPS receiver will track a number of satellites and determine location. The microcontroller (in this case, a little Arduino Uno), uses rx/tx pins to send and receive requests at the GPS receiver. It then sends back NMEA data, which flies out in spurts very quickly in a $GPGGA format. So it'll look like this: $GPGGA,123519,4807.038,N,01131.000,E,1,08,0.9,545.4,M,46.9,M,,*47 Which means this Where: GGA Global Positioning System Fix Data 123519 Fix taken at 12:35:19 UTC 4807.038,N Latitude 48 deg 07.038' N 01131.000,E Longitude 11 deg 31.000' E 1 Fix quality: 0 = invalid 1 = GPS fix (SPS) 2 = DGPS fix 3 = PPS fix 4 = Real Time Kinematic 5 = Float RTK 6 = estimated (dead reckoning) (2.3 feature) 7 = Manual input mode 8 = Simulation mode 08 Number of satellites being tracked 0.9 Horizontal dilution of position 545.4,M Altitude, Meters, above mean sea level 46.9,M Height of geoid (mean sea level) above WGS84 ellipsoid (empty field) time in seconds since last DGPS update (empty field) DGPS station ID number *47 the checksum data, always begins with * (citation used from NMEA data page) This data is spat out every few milliseconds, it's very fast. So as long as you can tell your microcontroller to read back a loop that takes that data, parses it, and makes sense of it with some basic math... boom, you've got an input. My GPS controller needs 4 things: A 5v input, a ground, a receive, and a transmit pin. That's all it needs to operate. Pop an antenna on it, put it out in the open... and then send it requests for data, it shoots them back, spit them out on my serial interface and i can see them.

As someone in VBA every day, I get a good portion of all of that. And I can definitely see the advantage of a unit like that - change wheel sizes? Speedo still stays calibrated. The lack of a speedo cable running from the dash all the way back to the trans is also a big upside.

Im just shocked that a little radio like that is capable of communicating with orbiting satellites! I guess im not surprised given how fast telecom tech is growing.

Now, If only those damn kids would get off my lawn...

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
8/2/17 5:37 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:
corsepervita wrote:
As mck mentioned, it's free to use. Basically a GPS receiver will track a number of satellites and determine location. The microcontroller (in this case, a little Arduino Uno), uses rx/tx pins to send and receive requests at the GPS receiver. It then sends back NMEA data, which flies out in spurts very quickly in a $GPGGA format. So it'll look like this: $GPGGA,123519,4807.038,N,01131.000,E,1,08,0.9,545.4,M,46.9,M,,*47 Which means this Where: GGA Global Positioning System Fix Data 123519 Fix taken at 12:35:19 UTC 4807.038,N Latitude 48 deg 07.038' N 01131.000,E Longitude 11 deg 31.000' E 1 Fix quality: 0 = invalid 1 = GPS fix (SPS) 2 = DGPS fix 3 = PPS fix 4 = Real Time Kinematic 5 = Float RTK 6 = estimated (dead reckoning) (2.3 feature) 7 = Manual input mode 8 = Simulation mode 08 Number of satellites being tracked 0.9 Horizontal dilution of position 545.4,M Altitude, Meters, above mean sea level 46.9,M Height of geoid (mean sea level) above WGS84 ellipsoid (empty field) time in seconds since last DGPS update (empty field) DGPS station ID number *47 the checksum data, always begins with * (citation used from NMEA data page) This data is spat out every few milliseconds, it's very fast. So as long as you can tell your microcontroller to read back a loop that takes that data, parses it, and makes sense of it with some basic math... boom, you've got an input. My GPS controller needs 4 things: A 5v input, a ground, a receive, and a transmit pin. That's all it needs to operate. Pop an antenna on it, put it out in the open... and then send it requests for data, it shoots them back, spit them out on my serial interface and i can see them.
As someone in VBA every day, I get a good portion of all of that. And I can definitely see the advantage of a unit like that - change wheel sizes? Speedo still stays calibrated. The lack of a speedo cable running from the dash all the way back to the trans is also a big upside. Im just shocked that a little radio like that is capable of communicating with orbiting satellites! I guess im not surprised given how fast telecom tech is growing. Now, If only those damn kids would get off my lawn...

Damn kids!

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/2/17 7:00 p.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury:

To put it simply, the gps satellites dont move above the earth and send out the time. The GPS receiver reads the time from at least 3 satellites and knows where they are in the sky (because they dont move). Then it campares the different times from the satellites (because it takes a different amount of time to receive the same time when they are at different distances) and bingo, you can calculate where you are on earth. Or your velocity or acceleration. There is no back and forth communication. Just reading satellite and time info, and maths. (Some extra fun facts: Not only are there atomic clocks in the satellites but the government has to make constant time corrections because the satellites experience different gravity than here on earth and therefore time passes at a different rate!)

Sorry to clutter your thread, the lambo thread is a favorite! Congrats on getting the engine going!

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny New Reader
8/3/17 12:19 p.m.

Just read this entire thread from start to finish, what a journey! I gotta give you props man, that Jalpa V8 looks like an absolute nightmare to work on. And I say that as somebody that's rebuilt 10 modern-ish BMW V8's.

I'm stoked to see it drive!

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
8/3/17 2:28 p.m.

My girlfriend forced me at gunpoint... err... ok actually it was a bribery of gelato and pizza... to watch game of thrones for the first time. So I did not work on it like I wanted to.

Tonight when I get home, however, I plan on trying to finish up the bumper lighting harness as well as the rear turn signals and brake lights. I need to test the brake switch to see if it's still functioning as I want.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/3/17 3:18 p.m.
corsepervita wrote: My girlfriend forced me at gunpoint... err... ok actually it was a bribery of gelato and pizza... to watch game of thrones for the first time. So I did not work on it like I wanted to. Tonight when I get home, however, I plan on trying to finish up the bumper lighting harness as well as the rear turn signals and brake lights. I need to test the brake switch to see if it's still functioning as I want.

Im not going to lie, Im a GoT fan. That said, I probably wouldve held out for some...more appealing...forms of bribery. After watching the show, Im sure you took a few possible suggestions from it for next time.

What is different about how you want the brake switch to work compared to stock?

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
8/3/17 5:51 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:
corsepervita wrote: My girlfriend forced me at gunpoint... err... ok actually it was a bribery of gelato and pizza... to watch game of thrones for the first time. So I did not work on it like I wanted to. Tonight when I get home, however, I plan on trying to finish up the bumper lighting harness as well as the rear turn signals and brake lights. I need to test the brake switch to see if it's still functioning as I want.
Im not going to lie, Im a GoT fan. That said, I probably wouldve held out for some...more appealing...forms of bribery. After watching the show, Im sure you took a few possible suggestions from it for next time. What is different about how you want the brake switch to work compared to stock?

Nothing different but considering the corrosion on the wiring harness, I don't know if the brake light switch is any good so i need to test it with the new harness I made.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
8/4/17 12:52 p.m.

So I worked with the arduino program i was using and basically ended up doing this:

• set speed of stepper motor
  • set max steps of motor
  • set serial rx/tx for gps
  • set loop to read gps speed in mph
  • map gps speed (0-200), map stepper speed range (0-whatever)
  • constant variable if statement in loop that if the speed is greater than 0 to set the motorspeed variable to whatever the GPS speed is), otherwise set to 0 if 0.

The issue isn't so much going to be the actual gps data but getting the actual stepper motor range set properly. So in this case, I'll get the stepper motor in place, adjust needle accordingly to rest properly, play with the range a little bit on the stepper motor and then map it exactly to that.

Once that's done I can throw it in my passenger seat on my little 924, put the antenna on the dash, go for a ride and see if the gauge properly responds. Plug the usb of my arduino into my stereo and it should do the trick. To power it in the lambo i'll just run a 12v power into a little 5v regulator so when the car is on, anything powered by microcontrollers is on too.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
8/5/17 10:21 p.m.

Ok, got a diode and relay board setup for my headlights and IT WORKS. Honestly it wasn't so bad.

Here's basically how it works...

2 main relays, one left, one right motor are a 2 part relay (87 and 87A circuit). 87 goes to battery power, 87A goes to ground. 30 goes to the big juicy wire on the motor, and then the motors have their own ground to chassis.

85 goes to switched power, which left and right go into the black wire on the Fiat X1/9 motors.

From there, there is a gray and a smaller green wire on the motors. These are the "switches" that interrupt the circuit. On the top of the wheel in the motors are cuts where there is plastic. So it basically works like this:

30 on middle relay, power from battery 85 on middle relay, or the "switch" for the relay is coming from the headlight switch 85 on left and right motor relays apply power when 85 gets 12v and 87 closes (power applied to 30), 87a is open. Once 85 stops receiving power on left and right motor relays, this opens 87 opens and 87a closes (grounding 30).

As power is applied to the separate arms or "switch wires" on the motors, the motor spins until the arm is interrupted by the plastic cutout on the wheel. When the other switch wire is given power, the motor spins again until it is once again interrupted, grounding the coil.

What a weird way to do it, but... it works.

I'm going to try and do a fritzing diagram so you can see what i'm talking about.

corsepervita
corsepervita HalfDork
8/5/17 11:03 p.m.

Here you go. I love this program. This isn't Lamborghini specific, this is Fiat X1/9 specific (which the Jalpa uses). So in case anyone needs an X1/9 diagram. This is a stripboard mockup with diodes that's a lot easier to just slap in a project box and run the harness out of it.

I ended up using pairs of marine connectors so they are waterproof and no longer exposed to the elements.

Reference wiring diagram from xweb. http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/thread/1214688319/Good+Grief+(wiring+issue)

RossD
RossD MegaDork
8/6/17 8:14 a.m.

Nice work. I forgot about Fritzing. I should use it for my own megasquirt wiring project.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lDtwFswj1SjLdUh1OAjuV2RBIAkp21tza0Q67wEXj2xf5otwhqJcX2MLz0WsK2Ec