Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett UltimaDork
4/29/17 4:11 p.m.

Well, no sparks, flames or other disasters today. The battery only read 0.6V and wouldn't take a charge at all. So I pulled it & took it back to Advance. They want to trickle-charge it overnight, so I'll check the status with them in the morning.

GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
4/29/17 4:38 p.m.

Some times when they are that Discharged They do not want to Begin re charging, I have a charger that I at times have to Go out and RE start Several times to get it to begin Charging. I have to get it up to at least 2.2 before it will Take over on it's own that is only the power of One cell but useally enough to Kick start the other cells.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/29/17 4:43 p.m.

You can also attach a good battery to a bad battery with jumper cables and then a charger to the whole contraption and that will sometimes fool the charger into working. I've revived more than one dead battery this way.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett UltimaDork
4/29/17 4:50 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

I contemplated using my jump pack to attempt that, but considering this battery is only a week old I'll let Advance deal with it.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/29/17 4:56 p.m.

Sometimes the jump packs won't recognize them as a battery if the voltage is too low. They're getting pretty smart. As soon as they build safeties into the system we learn to sidestep them.
But yes, on a week old battery it's reasonable to let it be someone else's problem.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett UltimaDork
4/29/17 7:00 p.m.

Day-113(1-hour):

I remembered there was something else I needed to do that did not require power - fix the cracked dash.

It was pretty straightforward, I made the plate big enough to cover the mounting bolt where the piece was broken off, and the headlight switch that was still soundly attached to the dash. I think this will make it fairly secure, and possible remove/reduce one of what I presume will be many squeaks & rattles in this old POS.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett UltimaDork
4/30/17 2:55 p.m.

So...I was just informed about another $1000 C4. This one is an 88, white, located in El Paso, TX. It's garaged & hasn't been started in about 12-years, since the PO(a Corvette collector) died. His widow is finally thinking about selling. She's out of town for a few weeks, but I have her number & will call next month for more details, and hopefully pics.

I'm thinking buying a second C4 project before getting the first one running/driving reliably is probably a really bad idea - right???

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
4/30/17 3:31 p.m.

Sounds like it might be a decent fix and flip candidate.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
4/30/17 3:36 p.m.

Talk about poor life choices....

Let's see...2400 miles round trip from Biloxi to El paso to drag a $1,000 c4 home. Yup....poor life choice.LOL

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett UltimaDork
4/30/17 4:26 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem:

Well, it's only 1024-miles each way...and the costs don't count against my Challenge budget.

Day-114(1-hour):

I picked up the battery from Advance and reinstalled it. It tested fine after a trickle-charge overnight, so that's good news. Unfortunately, with the storms this afternoon I wasn't able to roll it outside & attempt to start it. I did pull 5 of the spark plugs(the ones that are easiest to get out) to check & clean. Only 2 of them smelled like raw gas, so it should fire when I get a chance to try.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
4/30/17 4:54 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett:

Having unprotected sex with a Haitian hooked is a poor life choice. El paso c4s that haven't run in 12 years....well, that's really dangerous.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/30/17 5:03 p.m.

I'm 99% certain the Grosh is between you and that Corvette. Just putting that out there.

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
4/30/17 5:05 p.m.

Don't tell Ovid_and_Flem but I'd consider unprotected sex with an 88 C4 for a G. You know in case you pass on it.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett UltimaDork
4/30/17 6:31 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

But what if it's contagious and you end up with the cheap C4 bug?

Seriously though, I appreciate the offer and may take you up on it if this somehow falls together in a few weeeks!

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett UltimaDork
4/30/17 6:56 p.m.
Stampie wrote: In reply to Pete Gossett: Don't tell Ovid_and_Flem but I'd consider unprotected sex with an 88 C4 for a G. You know in case you pass on it.

Is that legal in Florida?

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
4/30/17 8:08 p.m.

Everything is legal in Florida. Well until you're caught.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
4/30/17 8:23 p.m.

Yep, the 88 is worth finding out more about. Keep us posted.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett UltimaDork
5/1/17 5:27 p.m.

And once again this damn car has me completely berkeleying stumped...

After cleaning the spark plugs, setting the float levels, adjusting both idle screws to 1-turn out, and adding about 10-gallons of fresh 93-octane:

1.) The car fired up quickly, but the idle slowed and it died before I could get out of the car & reach the lever. On the second attempt the car tried to start, but didn't. Subsequent attempts yielded only cranking w/o any sign of life.

2.) I pulled 5 of the plugs again. They all smelled like raw gas, although only a couple were wet. I cleaned them & reinstalled, then adjusted the idle up 1.5-turns. The car fired right up & was running smoothly around 3000rpm. I was trying to figure out why my timing light wasn't working, and the car died suddenly. Subsequent attempts to restart yielded the same results as #1. I pulled the air cleaner off, it smells like raw gas & the back of the primary butterflies are slightly wet.

So I'm pretty sure I'm getting too much fuel, but why does it start easily, run smoothly for < 1-minute, then die suddenly regardless of throttle input? I'm guessing carb, but where to start?

Edit: I suppose I could intermittently be losing fuel pressure after a short period? I haven been able to walk around the car before it dies to check the gauges though.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/1/17 5:41 p.m.

It seems like you'd have enough in the bowls to run at least a minute with no fuel pressure at all. What's the choke situation?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett UltimaDork
5/1/17 6:37 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

Manual, and open.

Thinking about it more... One time previously I had trouble getting my timing light to fire off the #1 plug wire. That happened again right before it died tonight. The first time it happened I didn't have a chance to try another wire because the engine was on fire, tonight it died before I got any further. But it was running smoothly tonight, and definitely didn't feel or sound like is was missing a cylinder. Maybe there's an intermittent problem with my garage-sale HEI distributor...can they even have intermittent problems? It sure looked new when I bought it though.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/1/17 6:42 p.m.

At this point I think you really could benefit from a remote start button. Shouldn't be hard to wire up. Leave the key on and just use the button to engage the starter.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett UltimaDork
5/1/17 6:55 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

I have one. The problem is there's no clearance between the exhaust to run it up through the engine bay, and there's no clearance to connect it without the car being up in the air...then trying to get it outside without falling off/running over it, etc.

What I really need is someone who knows what the hell they're doing that I can bribe to give me some help. I'm starting to think spending the $$ to go through the whole TPI setup may have been the wiser & easier choice.

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
5/1/17 7:56 p.m.
Pete Gossett wrote: In reply to mazdeuce: The first time it happened I didn't have a chance to try another wire because the engine was on fire,

I'm sorry but that made me laugh.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
5/1/17 8:00 p.m.

It sounds to me like a possible sunken float.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett UltimaDork
5/1/17 8:10 p.m.

In reply to Jerry From LA:

I've not experienced that before, but given how suddenly it dies I'm thinking ignition - it just shuts off, no bog or sputter.

I also remembered that back before I installed the distributor I had to re-crimp a terminal on the socket for the ignition module... Sounds like I need to pull the cap & rotor off. Ugh, that won't be fun considering it's basically under the cowl.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aPdHEg6maIXkP3FdTDbDglIf8gVn16K6kKaqO9CrVxZRqt1S3llRFiDfBlZbmbiv