DragonWagon
DragonWagon New Reader
6/23/17 5:46 p.m.

Here's my build. I built it 100% from scratch with no plans, no advice and no internet samples. I started the build in 2008. I was in a bad motorcycle accident and was laid up for 8 months. It gets real boring when you just sit around. I am in the automotive business for 33 years now. I've worked on, built and helped out friends with countless amounts of car projects. I like different and thought of this. It's a standard Radio Flyer wagon. Threw away everything but the tub. The frame is 1" square tubing. The front shocks (coil overs) are what you see in mountain bike frames. You can buy them new. I live in the New Orleans area and there's a race shop about an hour and a half away. I bought the threaded tubes and rod ends to make a 4 link front suspension with a panhard rod (track bar - track locator). I originally had shocks on the rear also, but, since I didn't put a chain tensioner, it would throw the chain when the rear had excessive movement. So, I cut the shock end off and welded a tube inside of another tube for strength and welded the ends back on. The back rest is the only thing left from my motorcycle. I build the steering column and steering wheel. It pivots on 4 bearings. The engine came from Harbor Freight back in 2008. It's not what they sell now. This is a Greyhound 196cc engine. It's a 100% true Honda clone. Harbor Freight now sells a 212 cc that looks the same, but, the internals are different. I removed the governor, re-jetted the carburetor, cut out every other fin off the flywheel cooling blade and added the K&N filter. The rear axle, disc brake, chain, sprocket, front steering and front axle ends are all go kart parts. i bought it all new. Same with the front & rear wheels & tires. I had a clutch on the engine at first, but, I bought the torque-a-verter and it made a world of difference. I build the wheelie bars from 3/8' tubing and casters. I used some left over tubes and rod ends on them for adjustment and additional support. The were just for looks, but, after changing out the clutch to the torque-a-vertor, they were definitely needed. The throttle & brakes are on the steering wheel. It's bicycle levers and cables. I made the exhaust as well and wrapped it with the heat wrap material. It goes 40 mph like it sits. I'm right at 200 lbs. It'd be faster is had skinny kid was on it. LOL. I have 2 other sets of gears. I have a 65 tooth on it now. I have a 60 and a 78 tooth as well. But, it's fun to ride like it is and definitely a head turner.

DragonWagon
DragonWagon New Reader
6/23/17 5:48 p.m.

DragonWagon
DragonWagon New Reader
6/23/17 5:48 p.m.

DragonWagon
DragonWagon New Reader
6/23/17 5:49 p.m.

DragonWagon
DragonWagon New Reader

DragonWagon
DragonWagon New Reader

DragonWagon
DragonWagon New Reader
6/23/17 5:50 p.m.

DragonWagon
DragonWagon New Reader
6/23/17 5:50 p.m.

physician
physician Reader
6/23/17 6:19 p.m.

That is so cool!

84FSP
84FSP Dork
6/23/17 6:26 p.m.

So we need a story about why it needed wheelie bars...

DragonWagon
DragonWagon New Reader
6/23/17 6:46 p.m.

The wheelie bars.... I built the wagon using a centrifugal clutch at first. Then, switched to the torque-a-vertor. I had the bars built and bent them. I took them off to fix them and add reinforcements and paint them. I was in the grass and decided to see exactly how much lift it had. I squeezed the throttle all the way and immediately, I was 90 degrees vertical, in an upright position. The backrest from the seat kept me from flipping over.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/23/17 6:47 p.m.
84FSP wrote: So we need a story about why it needed wheelie bars...

Logically speaking, all that weight over the back tires with relatively little mass to move....you can wheelie a riding mower....

Tldr- because wheelie bars make it better.

physician
physician Reader
6/23/17 6:58 p.m.

How is the handling?

DragonWagon
DragonWagon New Reader
6/23/17 7:35 p.m.

Very true mndsm. I thought about adding weight to the front end, but, riding wheelies is way too cool. It handles good physician. I do lean forward when executing turns. I set the front toe angle to 1/8" in and it doesn't wander. It only has issues when riding in the center of the street. The street has a crown and it gets a little off center. On a flat road, it goes straight.

DragonWagon
DragonWagon New Reader
6/24/17 8:48 p.m.

I have another true Honda clone. I have an older rebuilt GX390 clone. I'm gonna go a bit different. Not a wagon, but, maybe an old school slingshot dragster or an old school altered. Where the engine is in front of the driver. Not like today's jr dragsters. Something definitely old school.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
6/24/17 9:05 p.m.

cool build, well thought out

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
6/24/17 9:24 p.m.

40 mph on that?

Balls. Of. Steel.

DragonWagon
DragonWagon New Reader
6/25/17 4:00 p.m.

Thanks guys. Yes, 40 mph. I downloaded the Speedometer GPS app for my phone. Turned it on and took off. It saves the data from when turned on until I stop it. 40.3 mph was the top speed. It might go a little faster if I didn't have to shut it down and watch for cars. I'll have to try it in an empty parking lot. If I swapped to the 60 tooth gear, it'll have more top end too.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
6/25/17 7:31 p.m.

Holy yikes, 40 mph on a 40" wheel base.

DragonWagon
DragonWagon New Reader
6/26/17 9:45 p.m.

That was a damn close guess 84FPS. I've actually never measured the wheelbase. It's 36" on the nose.

DragonWagon
DragonWagon New Reader
6/26/17 9:46 p.m.

I'll have to get somebody to take shot wheelie shots when I ride it around.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9dsCNmeuU6uzeWOidcQZsgqMVxGAeCSXBIdVnnlkvNBsrcEKeqgimZSiVPeB7kN6