8 9 10 11 12
Dirtydog
Dirtydog New Reader
4/15/17 11:16 p.m.

I'd just call it Catholic Charities.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
4/16/17 8:55 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: In reply to cmcgregor: I can't remember at the moment. Ill measure tonight and get back to you.

Don't know if youve solved your drive shaft issues but c4 corvette has engine set back on 96" wheelbase. Pretty short drive shaft.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
4/16/17 9:41 a.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem:

That's a good idea. But probably not in the budget due to corvette tax.

Driveshaftis 38 inches center to center.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
4/16/17 10:04 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

When I get a chance I'll measure mine, Just can't get to it right now But considering General Motors built 400,000 C4 Corvettes and half of them are certainly in junk yards or on blocks behind some peckerwoods house you might be surprised. Don't know what's left in your budget but I know that people are asking 15 - $75 on Craigslist.

Just checked on CL in NC and there appear to be a few c4s being parted out over there.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
4/16/17 10:26 a.m.

And if i remember right, the shafts are aluminum, correct?

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
4/16/17 10:51 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

Looks like you'll have to move engine back another 11" to use c4 driveshaft...it's about 27" center to u joint center.

Well I tried

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
4/16/17 11:30 a.m.

Holy crap thats short.

But i think that if this home shortened shaft is a failure, the hive will be able to find me a cheap and readily available shaft. 38 inches should be reasonable.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
4/16/17 12:08 p.m.

Not Until you start removing body work do you really begin to notice what a compact chassis the c4 is. Front of Engine block is behind front axle centerline. No real rear frame overhang aft of rear differential. But with body work overhang on both ends in full body its 180" long. Without body it's about 108". That's SIX FEET of total body overhang.

Look for our challenge entry this year much closer to 108" in overall length.

AND down to less than 2300 lbs.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
4/16/17 12:17 p.m.

Well have to see if the 94 inch wheelbase 2500lb car can keep up

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
4/16/17 12:22 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Well have to see if the 94 inch wheelbase 2500lb car can keep up

Oh, I didn't say our car would perform well... I just said it was going to be shorter and lighter. LOL

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
4/16/17 12:30 p.m.

Lol. We can race hard for mid pack against each other.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
4/16/17 12:37 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Lol. We can race hard for mid pack against each other.

It's lonely at the middle! I have only one Challenge shallenge....BEAT STAMPIE.

BTW...REALLY ENJOYING YOUR BUILD THREAD. You guys have done a ton of work. Can't wait to see VW flares.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
4/16/17 12:48 p.m.

Hopefully the fenders as flares look good so i don't have to make them from scratch. Thanks for the kind words.

Our main goal is to not be dfl or most catastrophic failure.

Stampie
Stampie Dork
4/16/17 1:07 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem wrote:
Dusterbd13 wrote: Lol. We can race hard for mid pack against each other.
It's lonely at the middle! I have only one Challenge shallenge....BEAT STAMPIE. BTW...REALLY ENJOYING YOUR BUILD THREAD. You guys have done a ton of work. Can't wait to see VW flares.

You planning on bringing something other than that C4?

I'm wondering if maybe a front driveshaft from a 4x4 would be closer to what you need. I'll measure mine when I get a chance.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
4/16/17 2:12 p.m.

In reply to Stampie:

Arrrgghh....my arch nemesis haunts me.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
4/16/17 3:05 p.m.

As a side note, this build will hopefully be losing a teammate soon. Dallas has the custody hearing for all three kids in two weeks.

The original intent, more than going to the challenge, was to keep him sane throughout the divorce. If all goes well, that goal will be accomplished. After that, anything else is icing on the cake. Even if the car burnt to the ground, its still served its primary purpose.

So say a prayer guys. These kids need to be with they're dad.

Stampie
Stampie Dork
4/16/17 3:10 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

As a dad who went though a divorce a few years ago I definitely feel for him. I don't know how it is there but at least here things are changing so that Dads get more of a fair shake in the courts. How old are the kids? Maybe they're old enough to help.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
4/16/17 3:19 p.m.

6mos, 2 and 5. And mom is nuts. Like certified. Its been a long ugle battle for him.

Stampie
Stampie Dork
4/16/17 3:25 p.m.

6mos might be a little young but 2 is old enough to learn a wrench from a screwdriver and Asa was putting on bolts at 5 with me just checking tightness behind him. Tell him that we're thinking of him but put the kids first.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
4/16/17 3:59 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: 6mos, 2 and 5. And mom is nuts. Like certified. Its been a long ugle battle for him.

Fortunately for your friend NC courts have abandoned the "Tender years Doctrine"...i.e., the courts no longer automatically lean towards mothers getting custody of young children. Rather, courts are to look solely as to what's in the best interests of the children.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog New Reader
4/16/17 4:04 p.m.

I totally agree about Family involvement. The car hobby can be an adhesive factor. My youngest is 25 now, and the family were all down at the Drag Strip watching her brother race his Monte Carlo.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
4/16/17 4:19 p.m.

Unfortunately its going through in South Carolina.

Heres to praying that the courts can smell her psycho.

We are all very involved with our kids. Now that soccer season is upon us, ill be at the field most Saturday mornings. The kids haven't shown a lot of interest in the cars yet, so we don't force them to participate with us.

Im a firm believer that a kid should find their own healthy interests, and we as fathers should do our best to be supportive and active in them with them.

My daughter does want to be the tire person on our race car pit crew though, so theres that...

GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
4/16/17 4:41 p.m.

I just happen to have an Extra C4 driveshaft, But also have another from a round track car that needs to be shortened also aluminum but has a groove in it from a body panel rubbing on it, yours for the asking, If you can get me a number from the Back of the tranny to the center of the U joint cup I will go out now and pull some measurements 5:40 now ya'll call

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
4/16/17 4:46 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

Well fortunately SC abolished tender years Doctrine by statute in 1994

What is the temporary custody arrangement now?

Stampie
Stampie Dork
4/16/17 5:20 p.m.

Just measured the front driveshaft of an 88 K30. It's 23.5 center u joint to center u joint. Figure my 99 Chevy will be shorter.

8 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WvFJ8VI1I5wHQpx00Z2s5tA9GBYHACLa3xM9z1WrevMyEIDfA7ssYPDWax1r3WEo