Mikado
Mikado None
7/16/17 4:04 a.m.

Hi guys Im from the Gold Coast of Australia and the wife has given me the green light to start a resto project. Im a big fan of the 3100 pickup, 1947-1954. The problem is that down her I can only find trucks that are already done. I want to find a stock standard barn find.

Are there any websites in the U.S. that are dedicated to selling project cars, particularly Chevy pickups? Im probably going to get stung with between $5000 and $10000 in shipping so I cant be picky. As long as the chassis is good and most chrome intact then Im interested.

Cheers

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
7/16/17 8:17 a.m.

There's this place in Oregon (if you're on Facebook): https://www.facebook.com/classictruckrescue/ All I know about them is I've watched their videos on Youtube. They specialize in the next generation of Chevy trucks (from 1955-1959) but they also find trucks from earlier and later years.

Mikado
Mikado New Reader
7/17/17 2:16 a.m.

Thanks mate I will check it out.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
7/17/17 5:03 p.m.

Did you happen to catch the Wheeler Dealers episode where they came to the States and picked up a 3100?

Here's the video.

It may be of some help.

Graystang
Graystang New Reader
7/17/17 7:10 p.m.

Maybe a dumb question but do many old American machines find there way to africa? If so might that be cheaper in shipping?

Pattyo
Pattyo New Reader
7/17/17 8:46 p.m.

Is there a port that is cheaper to ship out of? If so I would watch that area craigslist.org every day. Maybe even post a "want to buy" ad. I've had good luck with those in the past. Also, and this is just my opinion, do you know what options you want? I hate to get done with a long and expensive resto just to say "damn, I should've waited/spent a little more for the one I really wanted"

Pattyo
Pattyo New Reader
7/17/17 8:52 p.m.
Mikado
Mikado New Reader
7/17/17 9:54 p.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory:

I love wheeler dealers and really liked that 3100 episode. Pity big Edd is no longer with the show. Thanks for uploading it, Im gonna watch it now

Mikado
Mikado New Reader
7/17/17 9:57 p.m.

In reply to Pattyo:

Thanks mate. Thats exactly what I am looking for. Totally stock standard and Id prefer Texas coz of the dry. My wife is a freight forwarder so I have that covered but I still need to do a little homework. For ex. I have a feeling I can only import cars with a clean title. Thanks for your help.

Tk8398
Tk8398 New Reader
7/18/17 1:56 a.m.

Make sure you sit in one before deciding for sure you want one. If you like it then nothing to worry about, but they are definitely not made for taller people or long trips.

Pattyo
Pattyo New Reader
7/18/17 8:31 a.m.

Have your wife check on a "BONDED" title. A lot of these old trucks have missing titles. The replacement title is called bonded because it has an insurance bond on it. If you can import a bonded car that will greatly increase the number of trucks to choose from. Also, I am no expert in 3100s but I think the options are big rear window, five windows, long bed, chassis weight.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EikGkX1Y8ViGZveQNAN4HHVyBzRJ3iGcpL783KuaWz0Z54KO7JvgW1Y7ZcpxttWG