Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
10/18/18 12:26 p.m.

This story ran in an old issue of Classic Motorsports. Want to make sure you're reading all the latest stories? Subscribe now.

Story by Tim Suddard • Photography by the author unless otherwise credited

At their core, concours events are acts of rebellion. Think about it: row after row of decades…

Read the rest of the story

skutney
skutney New Reader
1/24/19 12:11 p.m.

I like that first line, "concours events are acts of rebellion."

abcarman
abcarman New Reader
1/21/22 10:48 a.m.

Very informative article.  Over the years I've found that each event tends to emphasize different aspects of the judging sheet.  For example multi marque events tend to emphasize overall presentation (paint, panel fit,  interior, engine compartment etc.) while marque specific events emphasize correctness of your car to a standard which is how the car appeared and operated when it left the factory.  Since so many of the cars accepted to invitational events are excellent examples tip number 13 is the essential tiebraker.  Know your car,  research and share it's unique history.  In the end that's what will set your car apart in the judges mind. If I can add tip number 14 - Have a good time.  Too often I see owners worried about "winning" a ribbon or trophy.  You'll have a much more enjoyable day if you take the attitude that just being on the showfield is reward enough.  Anything beyond that is icing on the cake. 

patz66b
patz66b New Reader
6/3/22 11:53 a.m.

I saw this Cooper S at the longest running Mini event in the country, dating back to 1970, Mini Meet West in 2016 in San Diego, CA.

We were parked at the host hotel and all of us out in the lot cleaning our Minis after the long drives from all over the west. My group had driven all the way down Hwy 1 from San Francisco. Others drove in from as far away as Denver, CO, Portland, OR and even some from British Columbia and Alberta, Canada.

A guy drove in to the lot in a red & white Cooper S, a near clone for my friend Jim Predmore's '66 Cooper S. We found out he was from Malibu, CA. He parked nearby, got out and immediately went over to take a look at Jim's Mini, comparing it to his newly acquired beauty. He told us he had just purchased it from the east coast, paid $40K for it and that it was the Classic Motorsports restoration car from the magazine. We all went to take a look and it was on a par with probably 10 - 15 of the other Minis at the show.

Then the owner asked us a question that was bothering  him about his Cooper S. He came straight up to me, cleaning my '72 RHD Clubman saloon and asked me why his turn signal switch was on the right side of his steering column instead of the left like Jim's. I told him it was simple...it is a RHD column in a LHD car. Oops!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n38LOseXlD5jrlQ6UUQcXyrppn7qocqgcKbBnzuvzMS3UUx3Ia9KiOueMJf2zDFd