2 3 4 5
WilD
WilD Dork
6/15/17 8:00 a.m.

I must confess, the Swallow Doretti took me some time to figure out. I knew I had seen the model before, and that it was something rare and British, but it was driving me nuts I could not remember the name. I initially thought it might be an Alvis because of the shape of the hood badge. I couldn't stand that feeling so I spent some time on Google to positively identify it after it went unanswered for a couple days.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
6/16/17 7:09 p.m.

The cars that were sold as kits become much harder to nail if only because they often used bodies made by someone else!

Had one of these.

They brought two into Vancouver in the 1950s. They were usually bodied with something like a Mistral body. This is the other car that came here with sports car body - Mistral.

Suspension by Riley 1.5 or Morris Minor, engine often XPAG MG, or sometimes Coventry Climax. I had intentions to use an MGB engine but never got around to finishing the project.

Any guesses?

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
6/16/17 7:15 p.m.

And this one is too easy - me at the track in another British beast.

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
6/17/17 12:34 a.m.
The cars that were sold as kits become much harder to nail if only because they often used bodies made by someone else! Had one of these. They brought two into Vancouver in the 1950s. They were usually bodied with something like a Mistral body. This is the other car that came here with sports car body - Mistral.

I had one of those too, I think it spent time in your garden....

WilD
WilD Dork
6/20/17 9:13 a.m.
wspohn said: And this one is too easy - me at the track in another British beast.

It's not that easy... It's a TVR body, but the exact model is harder to ID, at least for me. Grantura?

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
6/20/17 10:05 a.m.

WilD, I agree, it's a Grantura (Series 3). I'm curious to know what motor it had in it when the photo was taken (HRG Derrington headed B-series, or Twin Cam).

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
6/20/17 4:42 p.m.

Obviously not a production car. What's the story of this? Why was it built?

Extra points for the brand of cologne he's wearing

Inspiration?

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
6/20/17 4:47 p.m.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/21/17 10:07 a.m.
LuxInterior wrote: Obviously not a production car. What's the story of this? Why was it built? Extra points for the brand of cologne he's wearing Inspiration?

That looks like a young Ron Jeremy in the van pic.......so I'd guess he'd be wearing "Sex Panther" cologne. 60% of the time, it works everytime!

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
6/22/17 3:04 p.m.
WilD, I agree, it's a Grantura (Series 3). I'm curious to know what motor it had in it when the photo was taken (HRG Derrington headed B-series, or Twin Cam).

It is indeed a 1963 Mk 3 Grantura (the first model with a really good chassis and suspension).

I ran it this way most of the time - 1800 3 main with HRG Derrington crossflow and Webers. The foam filters were necessary as I had removed the inner fenders. I changed them every season and tried to avoid backfires through the carbs...

I later ran it this way when I was developing my Twin Cam engine as things were a lot more accessible than they are in the MGA.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
6/23/17 10:43 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote:
LuxInterior wrote: Obviously not a production car. What's the story of this? Why was it built? Extra points for the brand of cologne he's wearing Inspiration?
That looks like a young Ron Jeremy in the van pic.......so I'd guess he'd be wearing "Sex Panther" cologne. 60% of the time, it works everytime!

No. no. it's the Supervan from the SuperVan movie. Plot: A man named Clint enters a solar-powered van called Vandora into a competition called Freakout..

The "Supervan" was based on a 1966 Dodge A-100 platform, and was created by the legendary George Barris. It had been fully restored, and was sold at the Barrett Jackson auto auction in January, 2016.

Anyone know what this means in English? "Watch your donkey, smokey's gonna getcha"

RevRico
RevRico SuperDork
6/23/17 10:57 a.m.

In reply to LuxInterior:

Watch your ass, cops are closing in.

At least that makes sense to me. Old trucker slang wasn't offered with my language classes.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
6/23/17 11:10 a.m.
LuxInterior wrote: Obviously not a production car. What's the story of this? Why was it built? Extra points for the brand of cologne he's wearing

I'd guess Avon magic 8-ball cologne. I actually have some...then again I pretty much have that exact outfit(minus the hair). I guess I should find one of those vans too?

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
6/27/17 3:22 p.m.

pkingham
pkingham Reader
6/27/17 3:26 p.m.

In reply to LuxInterior:

Early 911.

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
6/27/17 3:57 p.m.

Singer modified 911

Woody
Woody MegaDork
6/27/17 4:05 p.m.

Specifically, this one.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
7/3/17 11:22 a.m.
wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
7/3/17 11:32 a.m.

In reply to LuxInterior: Packard, from the mid-late 50's. Not sure of model/year.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
7/7/17 11:13 a.m.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
7/7/17 11:14 a.m.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
7/7/17 11:14 a.m.

JayUSA
JayUSA None
7/8/17 8:40 p.m.

I'm so glad to have found this thread! Can anyone help me identify this car and model year? Was there ever a production convertible? Thanks!

JayUSA

Woody
Woody MegaDork
7/9/17 7:49 a.m.

In reply to JayUSA:

^That's a Maserati Mistral. They made 828 coupés and 125 Spyders.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
7/9/17 10:23 a.m.
LuxInterior wrote:

Tempo Matador. It was pretty weird, it used a VW engine but was also front wheel drive.

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VYjDoabzi1xdW51vyv2TlA2bcfhFlsGkpghKATtVHnHiNWbRmgh1ItJQWPXq73ZF