Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/10/20 3:40 p.m.
feature_image

Sponsored article presented by Fantasy Junction.

An Outlaw doesn't always have to be a Porsche. This 1969 Alfa Romeo Duetto Spider Veloce proves that any classic can receive the Outlaw touch.

Powered by a 2.0-liter inline-four that the listing says was sourced fr…

Read the rest of the story

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
7/10/20 3:53 p.m.

Those wheels look great !

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/10/20 7:10 p.m.

"spent"? Yes.

"invested"? Time will tell.

although I guess even poor investments are still investments.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
7/11/20 7:17 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I came to say the same. Very nice car, but de-valued next to a perfect original, And for all of that they still retained the worst feature, the floor mount pedals. The later top mounts are much nicer to drive. Not an easily reversable mod though.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
7/11/20 12:21 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

"spent"? Yes.

"invested"? Time will tell.

although I guess even poor investments are still investments.

No on the last thought.  'Investments' that prove to be money pits are money thrown away.

I wonder what percentage of the people that 'invest' in restoring cars ever turn out to make money, after the cost of the money, lost interest etc. has been factored in?  Less than 5% maybe?

You tell your wife it is an investment, but to everyone else it is just a hobby.

klharper
klharper New Reader
7/13/20 4:14 p.m.

Oh I guess it is time for a pedantic letter from an Alfa nut.

First off it is not a Duetto, it is a round tail, the Duetto's were only the 66& 67 1600cc models.

Should have kept the 1750. It zings and is more fun than the 2000cc. Also 130hp from all of those mods is pretty weak, what is wrong with it. Should be able to get closer to 150.

If you wanted smoother door handles you should have just pulled the doors from a later model, and then you would have had smooth handles and been able to open the door.

The chassis stiffeners are ok, but if you are really spending 120k and you have stripped the body down to bare metal then you cut open your rockers and put in stiffening tubes. These actually work well. See Alfaholics spider restoration for a good example.

Not a popular opinion among many Alfisti, but I still despise SPICA. If they had just sucked up their national pride and put on a nice kuglefischer system it would have been great, but no they had to go and try to invent their own. It is really not that good. I will take a pair of webers any day over spica and if you really want to hotrod it throw on a set of Jenvey heritage throttle bodies.

It is a nice Alfa hotrod, but a long way from a 120k Alfa

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
J5mwQhmciiaZ6e89QSvf10uzDxnFXR0zmW2L7aCBBrZJ0aZrxGp0hueHFF7NL9jI