TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
4/23/15 7:24 p.m.

Wife and I just got back from a week of scuba diving in Cuba. We've actually been going there on/off for winter scuba holidays for the past 18 yrs. Why? Because we can since we're Canucks. But lets not get into politics about Cuba. I'll ask that we keep this thread to the cars.

You see all kinds of pre 1960 American cars in Cuba. But its not the collectors wet dream that some people think it is because for every immaculate potential North American show winner you see there are dozens of daily beaters. What's amazing is that these things are still running. These guys jury rig them with home made parts and some of them don't have much original running gear left. I saw the most immaculate 1957 Chev convertible but of course didn't have my camera with me. When I took the camera out all I could find was the beaters. I don't know if it would be worth buying up the beaters unless you're looking for a good frame and body should the embargo ever come down.

Its not just old American cars. All kinds of eastern bloc cars from the cold war era are also on the island. Lada's are everywhere.

Its also a myth that there are no new cars in Cuba. There are all kinds of them, but no Fords, GM or Chrysler products, but new Japanese or European cars are there. However, Cuba is a third world country and like any other third world country an new is not usually within the means of the average family, which explains why there are so many old cars.

Enjoy the photos:

And not just American cars. This is a 1958 Austin. I also saw a Jag XK 120 or 140 drive by but by the time I pulled out my camera it was gone.

Can't remember the name of this car but its obviously Soviet bloc. Anybody recognize it?

Also motorcycles including vintage Harleys and British bikes. This is a Czech built Jawa from the cold war era.

This is the oldest car I saw, a 1914 Model T being restored in the back of a pottery shop

Almost forgot this last one

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U2PPPuxp7R2VW1pIFzK7MofrwnlvLwFDXqjVhoUXnPOvwCp62LbPgCuFl8S0Lp1k