Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
9/25/17 2:09 p.m.
feature_image

You may not be able to find a screaming deal on an air-cooled Porsche 911 Turbo anymore—their skyrocketing prices have been well-documented. However, there are still very clean cars on the market. This 1977 Porsche 930 has just 32,000 miles on the clock and looks extremely clean. The bidding ends i…

Read the rest of the story

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
9/26/17 7:09 a.m.

I really think the short hood oil cooled Porsche bubble is just that.  These cars, even in Turbo form, just aren't rare enough to command the prices they are pulling in.  An SC is a great $25K car.  A late G50 Carrera is a great low $30'sK car and 930's are great $50K cars.  These prices wont last. 

For that much I'd want a slant nose with an engine that was worked on when new by Andial, Kremer or similar.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/26/17 1:59 p.m.

I agree with you Adrian---- I think the 911 bubble is bound to burst, or at least lose hot air.  Prices have already begun falling a bit.  I can see the 3.0 and 3.2 liter cars holding their values, as they haven't gone totally bonkers yet, but there's no way a 72 911T is worth $100K.   I see 911s models where the asking price is over $200K----- seems crazy considering all the other machinery available at that price.  

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
9/26/17 2:14 p.m.

Damn, it's up to $150K now.  That's series I E-Type, Testarossa and any number of nice Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston and other classic Grand Touring or Super car territory.  

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/2/17 10:46 a.m.

Yep, sold for $147,000. 

Full disclosure: I own a short-hood 911. I think one thing that's helping prices is the usability of these cars: galvanized bodies, torquey engines, strong mechanicals, excellent visibility, easy parts support. Plus the 911 is easy to get into and out of. 

I agree, the prices definitely spiked, but I will say that I'm extremely happy with mine. Would I trade it for an E-type, Ferrari or something like that? Honestly, no. The others ask for too many concessions. (Just my 2 cents.)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VLEEJQbhClAsSv2ioqZIhAA5GncaOjbaeFW95QR0W77ZUNFHW0suIznqgXqDnHAB