TeamEvil
TeamEvil Dork
6/16/17 12:51 p.m.

You're BACK ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ?

I though that you were dead . . .

frenchyd
frenchyd HalfDork
6/21/17 11:25 a.m.
TeamEvil wrote: You're BACK ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? I though that you were dead . . .

Rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/21/17 11:46 a.m.

It depends on the group you want to run with.

"Historic" groups generally require cars to have been raced "back in the day" - Historic Trans Am is a good example of this.

Other groups don't care as much. SVRA just requires cars to be of a certain age and freshly built cars are common. For example, far more Volvo 1800's are raced now than were ever raced when the cars were new.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
6/23/17 3:17 p.m.
frenchyd wrote:
TeamEvil wrote: You're BACK ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? I though that you were dead . . .
Rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated

He's not only back, he went from "none" to "reader" to "Half-dork" in one thread. Could it be...

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
6/23/17 8:14 p.m.

If you build something really cool I'm sure you'd find morethan one group to let it in.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
6/24/17 1:06 p.m.

How about finding a nice V-Twin aircooled and setting it up front. I would look for a Vincent but an Old Knuckelhead Harley would do Nicely. Check an Old Movie "The Party"(peter Sellers) I think that's a BMW but awsome!

Woody
Woody MegaDork
6/24/17 1:35 p.m.

In reply to GTXVette:

Looks like it was a Matchless.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
6/24/17 4:17 p.m.

Dude you are really Good at this.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
6/24/17 4:47 p.m.

Matchless was water cooled?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
6/24/17 6:26 p.m.
bentwrench wrote: Matchless was water cooled?

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
6/24/17 7:00 p.m.

At least you could Heat your Feet in winter, Sorry for the Hi-Jack Frenchy.it was just an Idea.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/26/17 6:32 a.m.

Sounds like a cool project and if you kept it period correct, I am sure you could find a place to run it. A heavily powered T Series chassis, could be an evil mo-fo, though!

frenchyd
frenchyd HalfDork
6/29/17 2:56 a.m.
Woody wrote: In reply to GTXVette: Looks like it was a Matchless.

Too bad it wasn't a J.A.P. V twin.. Nope it isn't a racial slur it' was a common option J.A.Prestitch (sp?)Very proper British you know..... made a nice big V twin occasionally seen in Morgans

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
6/29/17 3:28 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd: A man comes to some of the Show's here with a Morgan V-Twin.It is a New one built like the Old one but uses a 110" Harley. Very Kool! I Remember the J.A.P. in Name only though,I didn't know their useage. I've just thought If one day I found an Old TD or TC or even make one from Scratch and use a V-Twin it would be Neat.Also in the 40's there was a Midget Race engine Made from a Harley that was Water Cooled. I think that Jessie James(the Biker) was trying to remake some.

frenchyd
frenchyd HalfDork
7/1/17 12:23 a.m.

In reply to GTXVette:

less than a decade ago a friend purchased a J.A.P. V-twin new out of England so I'm willing to bet knowing the British they would still be available..

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
7/4/17 12:55 p.m.

You know you will regret it if you don't build it.

Looking forward to the build thread.

frenchyd
frenchyd HalfDork
7/8/17 10:28 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

I placed the various pieces on the shop floor just to confirm everything will fit. They look wicked but I was wondering if I should switch from the wheels I have (real Magnesium 15x6&15X8 Pin drive knock offs from the Chaparral MK1 made by Troutman& Barnes cast by Halibrand) to 19" wire wheels and give it more of a MGTC look.. Of course I'd have to use Jaguar hubs and Dayton does sell a 19" wire wheel for a Jaguar...

Two_Tools_In_a_Tent
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent New Reader
7/17/17 9:26 a.m.

If your project is going to be a scratch built reverse trike similar to the Matchless pictured above, then of course you have to swap the wheels out for the pair of 19" wire wheels !

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
7/20/17 7:16 p.m.

You'll find that you can get a wider range of wheels for less money if you use the smaller diameter Rudge spline used by everything else BUT Jaguar. Dayton offers all sorts of widths and offsets for those hubs.

frenchyd
frenchyd HalfDork
7/22/17 12:56 a.m.

Interesting, I hadn't considered other than Jaguar hubs since I'll be using mostly Jaguar pieces in the suspension. (I already have them, most of which are in pretty presentable condition and have already been cleaned and checked for cracks.) Yes I'll use sprite steering rack since it will come closest to fitting already and I won't use Jaguar XK-E torsion bars /sway bars because they are rather heavy and lack adjustability.. The nice thing is the pin drive wheels are already on Jaguar Hubs..

On the other hand money is a real consideration so I'll need to check that option out.. Thank you

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
7/22/17 4:08 p.m.

FWIW, Triumph uses bolt on adaptors for wire wheels. They fit a 4.5" 4 bolt circle and use 7/16" studs.

frenchyd
frenchyd HalfDork
8/9/17 2:15 a.m.

In reply to wspohn:

My concern is why didn't Jaguar use the smaller Rudge 48 hubs instead of going up to the Rudge 54? I'm not a wheel expert so I'd need to understand the thinking.. I know Ferrari uses the smaller hub and they have plenty of power, as does Aston Martin. Again it uses the smaller hub.. Price wise Dayton wire wheels are pretty much a wash depending on which hub is used. I do know the larger 54 has the potential for more and larger spokes which will be required given the torque of a V12 (It has more torque than a 454 of the same year)

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/9/17 3:26 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd:

Scenario #1 - they made an engineering decision the larger hub would be more durable.

Scenario #2 - they got a better deal on the larger hubs.

frenchyd
frenchyd HalfDork
8/11/17 9:00 a.m.

Given Sir William Lyons record it could be either. He famously used to save the pieces of carpet cut out underneath the seats which he felt were too valuable to throw out. The famous fire which burned down the factory in 1958 is reported to have started there.. He used the same brand of gauges as Rolls-Royce yet paid a small fraction of what Rolls paid for them by not having them undergo prepackaging inspections to the rigor Rolls Royce did..
On the other hand he was willing to spend money on advanced engineering.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
8/12/17 12:48 p.m.

My Lamborghini also used the small splined hubs with magnesium wheels and had 100 bhp more than any Jaguar of the time - no wear issues. This is one of the Campagnolos I stuck on my MGC just to see if it had clearance (it didn't)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Uka4qhUe7G46AJRDfuShutEUJXeLZILaDMyNvnIkFHRaBgFhHZ6sx3ApEhavF5Qt