Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
2/13/18 8:24 p.m.

The rust repair portion of this project was unexpectedly handed over to me this morning. We had pulled the alloy skins off a few weeks ago and sent it out for chemical dipping 

There was of course, much more rust than anyone anticipated.  

Just thought you might like to see what is underneath that Zagato alloy bodywork.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
2/13/18 9:15 p.m.

Did they put anything between the steel and aluminum?

How were they joined together?

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
2/13/18 9:21 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

Nope. Raw aluminum folded over bare steel. There are a handful of copper screws along the rockers, but not enough to act as proper sacrificial anodes.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
2/15/18 12:23 p.m.

The Italians didn't build for long term or inclement climates. I've seen Ferraris with raw unpainted steel on the inside surface of the fenders when you remove the splash sheilds.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
2/15/18 1:04 p.m.

Raw aluminum folded over bare steel. There are a handful of copper screws along the rockers, but not enough to act as proper sacrificial anodes.

Seems non-optimal.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
2/16/18 4:03 p.m.

that was 64/ 63? I think for the Double Bubble,  we had an H- prod. car,( 71-72) I could walk across the room with an engine in  my arms. The engine could rev 12 grand and was pretty Trick but the body was common for the day.

jdoc90
jdoc90 New Reader
2/20/18 10:49 p.m.

One must remember theses cars were built in limited quantities for a limited clientele who most likely were going to race it then buy something new in 2 years to keep competitive .They were built for european conditions and summer race/rally  specs . The fact that so many still exist  is a miracle  in itself .It was more likely to be wadded up than rust away in their eyes .   Lightness was also paramount , insulation adds weight and losses lol. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ERBjcxkxirrS7M8yyuGNXAbGsPEbsKHFbcoH1GSTSqZpqjyUKNpjuBtrLRfhmA9C