Askar
Askar New Reader
11/25/15 6:32 a.m.

Hello everybody, I'm new to the grassroots motorsport forum so at first I want to introduce myself.

My name is Alex and I'm a mechanical engineer as well as a welding engineer. I'm 31 years old. I grew up and live in southern Germany. My father, a mechanic to the core, restored several Italian motorcycles from the 60s and 70s as well as a Lotus Europa Twin Cam and a Porsche 3,2 Carrera. At the age of 15 I followed him and restored a Moto Morini 125 ccm Sport-motorcycle from 1961. I had a lot of different cars and projects during the last few years but kept only 3 of them.

One Volkswagen Polo 86C 1300 Coupe. Modified for Touring car racing. I use that car since last year for the "Deutsche Amateur Rundstreckenmeisterschaft". It is a really cheap car with just a few improvements for track use. The 1300ccm Engine delivers about 90 HP to the frontweels at 710 kilos.

One Fiat 600 T Bus. I welded the whole rotten body of that project during last year and plan the assemble the car in 2016. The Fiat is anything else than a fast car either in standard or in modified form. The original Power output is 26 HP. I plan to build in a small electric motor to use the car as a daily driver for short trips around my hometown

One Lotus Europa S2. That car will be the successor of the Volkswagen Polo and is planned as a track car.

Greetings from Germany!

Alex

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
11/25/15 6:35 a.m.

Welcome!

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
11/25/15 7:15 a.m.

welcome to the asylum

you might want to peruse this link … it explains a lot about us, that isn't readily understandable without a primer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grassroots_Motorsports

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
11/25/15 7:50 a.m.

Welcome! I'm not sure if we have any GRM faithful in Germany still.

It's a good idea to read the wiki page as it will let you know the lingo and the curse words. It'll be way less confusing when you read "Holy E36 M3!"

Askar
Askar New Reader
11/25/15 8:14 a.m.

Thank a lot for the wiki link ... E36 M3

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
11/25/15 9:27 a.m.

Wilkommen! There are a few europas that have been passed around the GRM community. We like pictures.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UltimaDork
11/25/15 10:04 a.m.

Willkommen :).

I think I am/was the token German on the forum, although I haven't lived in Germany since the late nineties.

Wo in Süddeutschland? Ich bin am Bodensee aufgewachsen.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
11/25/15 10:17 a.m.

Willkommen!

My mother immigrated from Germany to here in the states. I have relatives near Hamburg.

From the sound of your projects I think you'll fit in nicely here.

Askar
Askar New Reader
11/27/15 5:00 a.m.

Boxhead, I live close to Würzburg

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/2/15 8:12 a.m.

Yes, welcome to the group. Thanks for joining us.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
12/2/15 8:16 a.m.

Where are you in Germany are you from? I have spent a lot of time near Stuttgart (Neckarsulm) and I love the country down there.

dyintorace
dyintorace UberDork
12/2/15 8:22 a.m.

Welcome! Please share photos of your various cars/projects!

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
12/3/15 5:45 p.m.

Schoene Gruesse aus Amiland!

But hold on a second here- your dad finished a Lotus Europa project? I didn't think that was possible

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/3/15 5:53 p.m.
paranoid_android74 wrote: Schoene Gruesse aus Amiland! But hold on a second here- your dad finished a Lotus Europa project? I didn't think that was possible

Europa and finished probablymean something else in german. Finished europas dont exist.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
12/4/15 7:18 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
paranoid_android74 wrote: Schoene Gruesse aus Amiland! But hold on a second here- your dad finished a Lotus Europa project? I didn't think that was possible
Europa and finished probablymean something else in german. Finished europas dont exist.

I thought this was the case

That probably is the underlying reason I want one...

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
12/4/15 7:53 p.m.

Welkommen!!!! This is a great place with some great people. Nice car resume and can't wait to see you in the conversation.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
12/5/15 3:04 a.m.
mndsm wrote:

finished just means ... "this is where we've stopped on this project"

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
12/8/15 6:33 p.m.
wbjones wrote:
mndsm wrote:
finished just means ... "this is where we've stopped on this project"

Sounds just like my MG project(s).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dPEXVsa2ENTyCVu57SyUQUVm77NJs1TyW0BVyt4luRzqTKYd2x1UMbzUEmRGdRw5