stu67tiger Reader
Sept. 8, 2017 7:21 p.m.

I hadn't been back to the Lime Rock Vintage weekend for a few years, but this year the stars aligned, and I was there on Saturday.  I spotted a few folks who have appeared on this forum.  First Mike (OF Racing)

From what I saw and the published results, he had a fun weekend, doing about the same in all the races. His race group had everything from Spitfires and Morgans to a real  GT-40

Things did not go quite so well with Leo Basile.

The Cooper returned to the pits from the Saturday morning race on the back of a ramp truck.  It was seen getting lots of attention to both the front and rear in the afternoon.  From the published results he only got in a few laps on Monday morning.

And finally, my friend Phil, and his Sunbeam Alpine.  He had a good weekend on track, too, but this was a special moment.

The young man was touring the paddock with his parents, and was checking out Phil's car.  So Phil plopped him into the driver's seat, and did up the belts.  Big smiles.  Who knows what the long term effect will be?   How many of us can point to a moment like this that led to our being on this forum, a toy of one form or another in our garages?

Stu

OFracing Reader
Sept. 20, 2017 8:00 p.m.

In reply to stu67tiger:

That's for the kind words and nice pictures Stu.Grouping a GT40 and 911s with Spitfires didn't make it much fun for me. But this event is about the cars. Being on track with a GT40 driven by a Le Mans winner is something I'll probably never experience again. They do sound really cool when they pass you.

mike h

stu67tiger Reader
Sept. 22, 2017 8:48 p.m.

Come to think of it, your race was sort of like LeMans.  The fast guys go fast, and everybody else drives in their mirrors, hoping to keep their rear bodywork intact..

Stu

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Classic Motorsports

Black Friday Deals are Live!

17 hours ago in News

We're announcing the best deals we've ever offered.

Restoration Impossible: Finishing Off the Engine

18 hours ago in Project Cars

We add the air box and air cleaner.

Basic Training: 10 Steps to Faster Laps

1 day ago in Articles

Driving Coach Peter Krause's 10 Steps to Faster Laps

Sporty Swede: The Volvo P1800

4 days ago in Articles

Beautiful Design Meets a Rock-Solid Chassis

Classic Motorsports Car Catcher: GSM Dart

6 days ago in News

The vintage racer you never knew you wanted.

Rare Bird: The Swallow Doretti

6 days ago in Articles

The Swallow Doretti May Look and Sound Italian, But It's British

Classic Motorsports Car Catcher: Beautiful Bugeye

1 week ago in News

Leake Auction Company is selling this 1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite this weekend.

Mlassic Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Classic Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
jwFWQW9UinK1HwDmC98LAo5lFJnGIjAX