crankwalk
crankwalk SuperDork
10/20/18 9:12 a.m.

I just saw that the Mitty is done at RA. That’s such a bummer since I’ve been to most of these since a was a kid growing up 6 miles from the track. As an adult, I scheduled my visits back home around the Mitty so I could fly in and drive the Datsun to the even for the weekend. I know the with track ownership changes and all other business considerations that went in to this decision but I’m just speaking from a personal level that I’ll be sad missing out on the event.

If this year was the last one at RA then it went out with a bang for me getting to take the Z to the Datsun feature with all my Datsun crew.

Thanks for the good times up there and for putting it on at RA for as long as it was.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
10/20/18 9:49 a.m.

No, Mitty is not done. We are not bringing our infield party this year, that’s all. Rejiggering the magazine’s event calendar so we can do some fresh events and venues.

Margie

crankwalk
crankwalk SuperDork
10/20/18 12:21 p.m.

So I get a message from a buddy yesterday and he says the Mitty is done at Road Atlanta. I pulled up the website and sure as Hell thats what it said.

I guess I should have saved the screenshot from the Mitty webpage that was all black and said “the Mitty will not be returning to Road Atlanta for 2019.”

Now I go to the site and it doesn’t say that so can somebody just confirm it was changed back so I don’t feel like I’m going crazy?

CJ
CJ Reader
10/20/18 5:28 p.m.
crankwalk
crankwalk SuperDork
10/20/18 6:47 p.m.
CJ said:

Linky

Ok, I addressed this already. On Friday, it didn't have that information and literally said "The Mitty will not be returning to Road Atlanta for 2019." Now all of that is gone and it's back to business as usual. I was just curious what the real story is. Like I said, I should have shared the screenshot from the Mitty site since its gone now. No worries.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
10/20/18 7:05 p.m.

Are you sure it wasn't all a bad dream? laugh It seems like there would be lots of discussion on the internets but I can't find any mention of it.

crankwalk
crankwalk SuperDork
10/20/18 7:43 p.m.
EastCoastMojo said:

Are you sure it wasn't all a bad dream? laugh It seems like there would be lots of discussion on the internets but I can't find any mention of it.

Nope, I'm positive I saw it. My buddies all discussed it in our group chat with a link to the Mitty site where we all saw it. We discussed possible other venues of where they would hold it instead. Road Atlanta becomes Michelin Road Atlanta in 2019 an we figured it was some issues with scheduling the facilites or trying to get different events in there instead.  We all wondered if it would be Sebring or Daytona and if we should get a campers and caravan down since literally we've gone to these for our whole lives and were thinking about how we will figure out logistics for next year.

Anyway, I reckon nobody else except us saw it or wants to talk about it so we will drop it.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
10/20/18 8:27 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk :

Well, I guess it's a case of all's well that ends well. laugh

I gots no idea what went down. It's all the weirder that your original post here disappeared too. Maybe a rift in the space-time continuum? 

Marjorie Suddard
10/21/18 7:07 a.m.

Sorry about that—not trying to gaslight you. The page said “Classic Motorsports will not return to Road Atlanta for 2019” with text under explaining what I had in my first post and a link to the magazine’s newsletter. Once the confusion was apparent—and given  the public outcry from people who understood it was just us and begged us to reconsider—we switched the page back and are doing just that, reviewing and looking at what we can and are willing to do for 2019. The Mitty is a lot for us.

On another note, I can see Crank’s original post just fine. Did I miss something?

crankwalk
crankwalk SuperDork
10/21/18 10:29 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:

Sorry about that—not trying to gaslight you. The page said “Classic Motorsports will not return to Road Atlanta for 2019” with text under explaining what I had in my first post and a link to the magazine’s newsletter. Once the confusion was apparent—and given  the public outcry from people who understood it was just us and begged us to reconsider—we switched the page back and are doing just that, reviewing and looking at what we can and are willing to do for 2019. The Mitty is a lot for us.

On another note, I can see Crank’s original post just fine. Did I miss something?

I made a post about it Friday morning when I found out but the maybe the post didn't take. I worked all day and then I went back to check what the story was and then I couldn't find my post, then the Mitty website didn't mention the message anymore. It's possible the first post just didn't go through but I felt like I was losing my mind for a bit there. 

Thanks for clearing that up if for nothing else my personal sanity. laugh Everyone else I asked about it, including here, had no idea what I was talking about. I literally schedule a 4500 mile trip back for visiting my family and friends around the Mitty so if it moved I would just make them come to me. 

Tyler H
Tyler H UltraDork
10/22/18 7:43 a.m.

Crank,

I replied to your first post after seeing the same, and my response is gone, so you're not crazy.  Initially, the topic was deleted but later showed back up. I did screenshot the TheMitty.com landing page before it reverted, however all of my Mitty-going friends now think I'm crazy.  

We also discussed potential alternative venues and speculated whether the Road ATL changes were resulting in the change.   Consensus was that we would probably find our way to whatever new venue was selected.  

Margie,

Thanks, for the clarification.  It's apparent that it's a huge undertaking for Classic Motorsports and we really enjoy and appreciate it.  Change happens -- I hope that even if the venue or scope of the event changes that you guys won't abandon it altogether.

crankwalk
crankwalk SuperDork
10/22/18 8:37 a.m.

Sounds like we were in the same boat Tyler. Haha!

Marjorie Suddard
10/22/18 10:39 a.m.

Ah, got it. Tom was tasked with making sure the page was returned to normal, and he probably also deleted the original thread when he got the "people are freaking out thinking the Mitty is canceled" memo so as not to give any more traction to the cancellation rumors. People don't always read beyond topics. (Also, oops, just realized I put my earlier reply inside Tyler's post. Must've hit Edit instead of Reply--they really shouldn't give me Admin privileges.)

Margie

crankwalk
crankwalk SuperDork
10/22/18 4:24 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard said:

Ah, got it. Tom was tasked with making sure the page was returned to normal, and he probably also deleted the original thread when he got the "people are freaking out thinking the Mitty is canceled" memo so as not to give any more traction to the cancellation rumors. People don't always read beyond topics. (Also, oops, just realized I put my earlier reply inside Tyler's post. Must've hit Edit instead of Reply--they really shouldn't give me Admin privileges.)

Margie

Ha! It's all good. Put yourself in my shoes though. I hear the Mitty isn't at RA anymore. The website says it. I ask about it on here and my thread disappears. Then the Mitty website is back to normal.I post again and everyone thinks I either dreamt seeing the Mitty wasn't at RA AND that I already posted about it.  By the end of Friday I was starting to believe them. laugh

So glad I don't need to be on some prescription and the Mitty is still in Braselton.wink

Marjorie Suddard
10/22/18 4:34 p.m.

I have no idea what you’re talking about cheeky

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
10/22/18 4:58 p.m.

The owls are not as they seem

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CqzJG6ysLQZMbrRY4vRv7edmmxUSgg8CI5eWsdPd6v2tqPuv0TezJSiAdjIZ1X3F