Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/23/19 9:23 a.m.
feature_image

Sports cars, by definition, should deliver exhilarating handling. That was not the case with our 1971 Alfa Romeo Spider. It sure looked athletic, but the actual driving experience was anything but.

We purchased this car, sight unseen, from a San Diego enthusiast. Our plan was simple: Fly in and …

Read the rest of the story

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/23/19 11:57 a.m.

One note about this article- you guys made it look way to easy to push out the bearings in rear trailing arms.

But you have the right tools to do it- specifically, the right adaptor for the outer shell in the actual arm.  If you push on the sheet metal instead of the tube part, you will likely push apart the weld that holds the sheet onto that bushing tube.

BTDT.  

And if you don't have a press like that, you can use a saw to carefully cut the bushing sleeve, which loosens the bond enough that you can use a hammer to tap out the bushing.

Other than that, this is pretty easy work.  And VERY rewarding, as pointed out.

Donatello
Donatello New Reader
4/24/19 3:56 p.m.

Curious about the lift you are using in the first picture.  The orange one. How high / low does it go. Is it expensive? Do you like it?

Love the look of your Alfa! I know nothing about the brand. What could one expect in terms of reliability from a car like yours? Vague question, I know, but my better half has been driving hondas for the last 20 years and so she is unaccustom and probably intolerant of mechanical problems. Help me out here, I am trying to formulate an argument to put one of these beauties in my garage.

pwbag
pwbag
4/24/19 8:19 p.m.

STEEL WOOL,

Looking thru the article, a thought, U are using steel wool, for clean up. This is my 1 st time to offer anything, a new member.

A lot of my history is boats, steel wool, a definite no,no.  Bronze wool is much better in that if u leave a little pc, in a unsuspecting place, u won't be embarrassed by a sudden rust spot.

A source, among many, Jamestown distributing, also great for reasonable priced ss fasteners.

Bill

kdriba
kdriba New Reader
4/29/19 7:58 a.m.

I had the same question as Donatello, what is the brand of the lift under the Alfa?  Is the e-z lift that operates with a heavy duty drill?

Kevin Maffett
Kevin Maffett New Reader
5/3/19 8:07 a.m.

The lift is the AUTOLift 3000 - and yes, it's the one that uses the drill.  You can learn more at:  https://www.autoliftproduction.com

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RgKj1ZfOO5c3nTxzo55Z7YStj6TSYDBuozLvSGdgwX9fRoaWbbTRh5Fdp5pngDGJ