Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/22/19 10:25 p.m.

I spent the last two days at Thompson for their annual Vintage Motorsports Festival. It was great, as always. Three organizations participated: VRG, VSCCA, and HRG. Great cars, large fields, lots of track time, challenging 1.7 mile road course, and overall a great experience as a spectator. Probably better as a participant. (Mike, Jay, Nial, and others, please let us know your impressions of this event). Now I'm home drinking Bordeaux, and listening to some easy music with Annie  (music by Helen Jane Long).

I met great new friends, and reconnected with old friends (some from this forum). This sport is great. Thank you CMS and GRM!

stu67tiger
stu67tiger Reader
6/23/19 7:29 a.m.

Sorry I missed it, visiting friends and relatives for my daughter's wedding shower kept me busy all day.  But the ladies are raiding the outlet mall today so I'm headed to Brookline in a few minutes for British Car Day.

Stu

Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/23/19 8:51 p.m.

Hey Stu, missed seeing you at Thompson ... and I missed seeing Phil with his Alpine. Great racing in that particular VRG group. Big field. A lot of Spitfires, so I was happy about that. But I think Phil would have done well with the Alpine. How was British Car Day at Larz?

dougie
dougie Reader
6/24/19 12:29 a.m.

Hey Gary, sounds like a great event. I was happy they got Thompson opened back up a few years ago. Any big Healeys in the grid? It seems like there's less of us making it out on the track every year. It would have been a long haul for me from Oregon.

stu67tiger
stu67tiger Reader
6/24/19 6:43 a.m.

Phil was at British Car Day with his Marcos.  He didn't quite have the Alpine back together after last year's engine woes, but he was there helping a friend.  In his defense, he was just back from visiting relatives, one of who lives in LeMans...  He say he'll be ready for the Majors in July.  I'll try to get down there for that.

BCD was good, you saw how good the weather was.  Probably around 200 cars, based on how full the side lot was.  Half a dozen Sunbeams, mine not included.  Every one I talked to had a different version of "the best way" to reinstall my windshield and frame...

Stu

Gary
Gary SuperDork
6/24/19 2:52 p.m.

In reply to dougie :

Only one big Healey at Thompson. Very nicely prepped. Beautiful car, and fast. We don't see many of these at vintage race events in the Northeast anymore, even at Lime Rock's Vintage Festival on Labor Day weekend, which usually draws twice as many cars as Thompson ... maybe even more than that. 

OFracing
OFracing Reader
6/30/19 7:40 p.m.

Phil made it to Thompson with the Marcos, too bad he wasn't able to race. HRG, our 1st time at this event as a group, had a 28 car field. Lots of fun, except for the rain storms on Thursday and Friday.

Jon Einhorn, HRG and SCCA racer has the Healy. We were having fun, I was behind him for a few laps but couldn't stay ahead of him on the straights. About half way through the race as he was heading up the hill, onto the main straight, and a bunch of hardware flew out from under the car. I dodged the bits but Jon quickly pulled into the pits and retired. Afterward I found out all but one stud on his left front knock off wheel adaptor failed. It could have been really ugly, Everything will be OK soon enough but he was done for the weekend.

Good looking Grid for the HRG feature race on Saturday afternoon.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6Ui5L4v4NOCNv8abOlfG36MtNFmSMv70GGKPmNNc42FegxJ001y4ZmIx4Khvi3YU