The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
May 16, 2017 2:16 p.m.

Life was different in 1952. A third of the families in the U.S. had no telephone, and just three out of five owned a car. A couple of big newsmakers that year were Dwight D. Eisenhower’s election as president of the United States and the maiden voyage of Britain’s De Havilland Comet 1, the first commercial jet liner.

Some big news for car enthusiasts also took place in 1952, as Carroll Shelby ran his first road race that May. He drove a dark green 1949 MG TC to a first-place finish at an event in Norman, Oklahoma.

John Tojeiro, whose name eventually became tied to Shelby’s, was also launching a career during the early ’50s. Tojeiro was born in Portugal, but brought up in England. After serving as an aircraft engineer with the British Fleet Air Arm during World War II, he began building cars in 1950. One of his first customers was Brian Lister, who later created his own Lister-Bristol and Lister-Jaguar sports and racing cars.

In 1952, a significant event occurred in Tojeiro’s life: He built No. LOW 77, the car that would become known as the Tojeiro-MG. Constructed at Tojeiro Cars, located in the village of Barkway about 35 miles outside London, LOW 77 was part of a three-car run. All of the cars were sports racers featuring one-off body styles similar to the Ferrari Barchetta; the other two examples were LOY 501—which, like LOW 77, was MG-powered—and LOY 500, which was Bristol-powered.

Read the rest of the story

TeamEvil Dork
May 16, 2017 4:52 p.m.

Neat nose treatment, at first glance has a little AC Ace to it . . . maybe just a smidge.

LOVE to maybe duplicate that nose in fiberglass for my MGA project.

May 16, 2017 5:28 p.m.

Bee-yooo-te-ful.

frenchyd Reader
May 21, 2017 10:05 a.m.

In reply to The Staff of Motorsport Marketing: I believe I saw this car (pre-restoration) racing with myself and Sir Stirling Moss in the 1986 Bahama vintage event with it's then 87 year old owner. He did a magnificent job of avoiding the massively faster cars and yet getting everything he could out of that little XPAG engine.. I'll have to find my video to confirm details..

If it was this one he drove the car from New England (in the very late fall) to the Bahama's raced and returned.. A proper vintage racer!

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
May 22, 2017 5:41 p.m.

Just recently viewed a repeat of 'chasing classic cars' where Wayne C is running the elegant 1958 Tojeiro Climax in a hill climb event in Pennsylvania. John T definitely had the eye for that special 'look'.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Classic Motorsports

Pretty in Pink: An Unlikely Austin-Healey Story

1 day ago in Articles

Don't be fooled by the unlikely livery: This one-off show car was also a Healey works racer.

Classic Motorsports Car Catcher: Alfa Spider

1 day ago in News

Looks like a good car for a cross-country drive to us.

2018 Monterey Car Week Moved a Week Later

1 day ago in News

Monterey Car week will move one week later in 2018.

Window Shopper: Porsche 964

2 days ago in Articles

More features, less money.

Coming Up for Advanced Distributors: The Bonneville Salt Flats

2 days ago in News

A Datsun puckup truck running on the Bonneville salt flats?

Restoration Impossible: Gauges Like New

4 days ago in Project Cars

Nisonger brings our Elan's destroyed gauges back to life.

Kick off Monterey Car Week Right

4 days ago in News

Save the Date: Our Monterey Welcome Party Will Visit Pacific Grove, California, on August 15.

Mlassic Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Classic Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
qUOb0F2owgUl7hQzDodSv9OCd50lmzPB