The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
10/10/17 3:54 p.m.

Sometimes a restoration becomes a detective’s quest, something worthy of Sherlock Holmes, Jessica Fletcher or even Lieutenant Columbo. Emery DeWitt recently encountered such a mystery.

“About a month ago, I bought a stalled project,” he wrote us, referring to this MG TD fitted with a Volvo engine. …

Read the rest of the story

maseratiguy
maseratiguy Reader
10/11/17 9:13 p.m.

Why not? Marcos used them, (the car not the dictator..though he may have too). Great durable motors with great bottom ends.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
10/11/17 9:17 p.m.

I looked at a barn find MGTD a few years ago that had the same swap done many, many years ago.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
10/12/17 6:10 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

There have been a lot of different engines stuffed into T Series MGs over the years. This one would be one of the easier ones.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
10/12/17 6:36 a.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard :

The Volvo engine seems like a pretty smart choice for the time too.

frenchyd
frenchyd HalfDork
10/13/17 10:19 a.m.

In reply to The Staff of Motorsport Marketing : yes there are plenty of engines that will fit in a MGTD  

including an MG 

i got my first MGTD in 1962 the one I have now I got in 1968  estimated miles based on owner written data is near 300,000 miles since then I've put another 50,000 including about 50 vintage races.  Yes it's been rebuilt I d guess three times in fact. I did it once and it could use another.  

They are worth more with an original engine.  Or if power is your thing a MGB engine will produce about what the Volvo  does

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
10/16/17 10:32 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd:

A friend of mine did this years ago.  IIRC, the carbs and exhaust are on the opporsite sides of the XPAG engine.     I'm not an MG guru.     

frenchyd
frenchyd HalfDork
10/25/17 3:51 p.m.

In reply to spitfirebill : that's not hard to deal with.  Look at a Jaguar XKE for your solution to throttle linkage   A couple of bell cranks and Bobs your uncle  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SATne3gLPvJcLhWH9pukD6iMB35wHwsf3CEmK4NLoCGBdH1p0Sk9gBRg9qpiHPjJ