Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
9/28/24 1:00 p.m.
feature_image

The Triumph TR6, often considered to be one of the last classic British roadsters made, is a great choice for those just starting out in classic cars.

Tim Suddard, Publisher Emeritus, explains what you need to consider when looking to buy one.

Read the rest of the story

wspohn
wspohn UltraDork
9/28/24 2:14 p.m.

In reply to Chris Tropea :  I like the restyling job they did on the TR6 - one of the best I can think of, but I'm afraid I view them like I do the rubber bumper MGBs - cars that were gutted in terms of performance by the then new smog standards imposed on them.

The 'real' (i.e. home market) TR6 was a different car. While the one we got had a pair of Stromberg carbs on it and put out all of 104 bhp - exactly 1 bhp more than the last TR4A had produced from a lower displacement 4 cylinder. 

The 'real' TR6, i.e. the home market version, had 150 bhp with a Lucas fuel injected engine and felt like a totally different car - I had a ride  in one a friend had imported and it felt amazingly good and very different (I have owned TR2, TR3, TR3A, TR3B and Swallow Doretti, and had driven TR6s so am very familiar with what a TR can do in stock form.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic SuperDork
9/28/24 5:12 p.m.

In reply to wspohn :

So, if you converted the US car to the British car standards, how would it compare to the TR4A? What was the torque difference between the 6 and 4? I wonder if Volvo's 3000cc B30 over head valve 6 cylinder motor would fit under the hood of the TR6 without a hood scoop? I bet nobody would even notice it hiding under the bonnet except that the non-crossflow intake and exhaust is on the wrong side of the engine. smiley

And I don't care what anybody says, I think this car is HOT and I love the front nose! It just needs some nice steel flares.

wspohn
wspohn UltraDork
9/29/24 2:02 p.m.

TR4A had 132 ft-lbs. The TR6 had 142 ft-lbs. in the US version and 164 ft-lbs. in UK injected form.

0-60 went down to  8.2 secs. vs 10.6 sec. for the carb version and 16 vs 17.7 for the 1/4 mile.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1Z1hx1FgA7ijNVECtfFyrE9r4v3FC87iy0LtjbIDNxebcxIJAZhEMYV35rloBi0k