1 2
APEowner
APEowner HalfDork
12/9/17 3:53 p.m.

I've got two. 

One is a 1969 Dodge Charger like the scale model I built in the early '80s.  Black, twin turbo old school hemi, tube chassis optimized for handling, full cage integrated into a full interior.  Modern supercar performance in an old school body.

The other is a scratch built mid-engined race car of some sort.  Perhaps using a modified kit car body but I want to design and build the whole chassis.

I don't know that I'll ever have time and money to either one and I shouldn't own something like the Charger because I'm not sure I can be trusted to drive it on the street. 

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy Dork
12/9/17 7:44 p.m.
Ian F said:

In reply to wheelsmithy :

I have you ever owned/driven a car with fixed sliding windows?  My '64 Mini had them. You learn to hate them with a passion very quickly if you drive in hot weather.

Yep, VW busses and trucks. 

My point is I'm getting old, and I figure a hand-built aluminum Porsche replica is a high enough bar for me to set for myself without adding engineering conventional windows and hinges to the equation. I like to be realisticcheeky

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 HalfDork
12/9/17 10:18 p.m.

I'm pretty sure my next project will be an early '70s Capri.  Probably with a Ford 2.3l Ecoboost and a Miata rear suspension.  And RS flares to fit bigger rubber.  All of this assumes I can ever find an intact Capri body shell.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
12/9/17 11:28 p.m.

I've got a handful of boxes I'd like to check, some (all) of which could be done with the same car. 

In no particular order: rotary, 510, ten-second car, 6-speed.  

(510 will have to happen if ever soon thanks to prices getting out of hand, rotary will probably have to be a swap as I don't fit into anything that came with one... ten-second can include a 10.99 and would also involve learning how to drag race)

wspohn
wspohn Dork
12/12/17 11:04 a.m.

Always had a hankering for th Acura NSX (the original, not the current model).

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/12/17 11:51 a.m.

My ultimate "bucket list" build is my favorite Matchbox car from my childhood - the Vauxhall Guildsman:

File:MATCHBOX-LESNEY SUPERFAST -40 VAUXHALL GUILDSMAN 1971 ENGLAND (2).jpg

I have no idea how the windshield/door glass would be done.  When I drew versions of this car as a kid, I made the entire piece open like a clamshell.  Not sure if I'd do that now.

Side note: This car is also why my autocross number is 40.

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
12/12/17 12:45 p.m.

Too finish my wagon. Just a cruiser with decent power and suspension.

Id really like another 73-79 f100, mostly stock though. 

My biggest bucketlist build is a 63 falcon wagon. Big block ford, c6 back half chassis on a drag radial. Ive wanted one since i was a kid and rode in my uncles. 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/12/17 2:50 p.m.

My MGB/GT with a Sonoma/Typhoon powertrain......mad front splitter...... wing off the tops of the rear fenders....Monza type hood .....and the piece de resistance BOX FLARES.....kinda imsa meets killer 'Bs'

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
12/12/17 4:38 p.m.

to be edited(added) later......   

SLGGR
SLGGR New Reader
12/13/17 4:02 p.m.

I'd REALLY like to do a complete Subaru Sti swap into a classic Mini for all the obvious reasons.   

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
12/13/17 9:21 p.m.

FD3S Rx7 clad in a TCP Magic G-Face aero in completion yellow mica and Panspeed type 3 rear wing. Single turbo conversion with a good sized street port.

Or just getting going on the RX3 wagon sitting in one of my garage bays. Kids make my yo JDM lifestyle hard.

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
12/16/17 11:25 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

first

finish my MGUAR ( MGTD with Supercharged Jaguar V12 engine and XKE frame and suspension ) 

second

build my XJS Jaguar Track car 

third

Freshen up my MGTD  

wannacruise
wannacruise New Reader
12/17/17 2:10 p.m.

This ones out there some where, but I love this thing.  In Leu of this I just bought an MGB that needs everything, but the body is pretty good.  I will start building it in the spring.  Don't know yet what its theme will be but it seems if you want the V8 thing in any British sports car, they are never worth what you spend to build them.  Same story for this Healey.  It has been around the block in For Sale ads and as far as I know it hasn't sold.  Usually ends with a 'Reserve Not Met' statement.   

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/17/17 2:33 p.m.

- Overpowered V8 ND Miata with retractable hardtop. 

- Restomod Lotus Europa

- Custom RV built on the chassis of a vintage log truck, or bus or something. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
12/17/17 8:12 p.m.

bOttOmfeeder
bOttOmfeeder New Reader
1/23/19 7:28 a.m.

I know John Buffum would hate it, but I want to build a replica of his TR8 rally car....

That car inspired this (once) 13 year old to become an automotive engineer....

JmfnB
JmfnB MegaDork
1/23/19 7:41 a.m.

1: Finish the Panhard. 2.5 MZR, NC 5 speed, 4.10 8.8 locker running and driving like it should be.

2: Supercharged 6.2L swapped 2001 Excursion 4x4 with4" lift on 35" Mickeys.

3: 1986 Merkur XR4Ti tin top with a 2.3L Mazdaspeed engine complete with all the bells and whistles NC 6 speed. NC Miata/RX8 front suspension on custom subframe, 4 link 4.56 straight axle 8.8 rear with disc brakes. 

4: 1956 Cadillac Series Sixty. 8100 BBC, Allison trans, new frame with GM400T suspension bits up front and long arm 4 link rear. 

5: Hellephant powered 2019 Ram 2500 extra cab painted to look like a 1970s Power Wagon.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
1/23/19 8:34 a.m.

One of my dream builds was actually covered in GRM, the Audi Trans-Am car from the 80's. 

I would still love to grab an Audi UR Quattro and build a rally car from it.  Full cage and a fire-breathing Turbo 5Cyl.  I'd keep it low and autocross it for laughs. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/23/19 8:37 a.m.

Big block 1960 El Camino. wink

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/23/19 8:54 a.m.

1970 challenger vanishing point clone

1968 charger hemi 4 speed triple black

1967 mustang fastback Eleanor clone

1954 chevy full lead sled

DarthKader
DarthKader New Reader
12/31/20 1:07 a.m.

Cadillac 500 into AMC eagle... It fits.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
1/1/21 12:46 p.m.
oldeskewltoy said:

to be edited(added) later......   

It took a few years...  but as I'm now 61, I believe I'm doing my last significant build.....

Making a VX22 - aka a Hemi Mark II

preach (Forum Supporter)
preach (Forum Supporter) Reader
1/6/21 5:13 p.m.

I have too many. I own one and the start of two and will post some of the rest...

Owned but far from done:

Opel GT with a turbo 07k 5cyl and 944 running gear. The roof will be painted with lace in homage to my great-grandfather.

914 outlaw with a supercharged 4cyl

I'd like ~50whp more in my Cayman S (not really a project car)

Want:

Safari 911 air cooled

Ur Quattro

Cummins powered Jeep J-truck

Either a suicide door lincoln or a 63-64 Impala, supercharged, bagged, 100 spokes, parks on rockers, throws sparks when tail dragged. The Cuban blood in me screams for this.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KfN62MWjjEyrxBMMjb5BawLJZwXHchk5JRYY8HPuROUeKQd3iYp09WIL4QXEzDLs