David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/16/18 9:22 a.m.

[Editor's Note: This is from our November 2017 issue. Some information my be different.]

Story by David S. Wallens • Photos Courtesy BMW

“It kind of looks like a clown shoe.”

“Yeah, that’s where it gets its nickname.”

Meet the…

Read the rest of the story

wspohn
wspohn Dork
8/21/18 3:24 p.m.

The looks are a personal judgement, but the handling tends to be loosey goosey compared to later M models.  The cars that got the S54 engine bring a nice premium.  If you value idiosyncratic appearance over crisp handling, these are a better choice than the later Z4Ms.  Otherwise, not so much.  I think the Z3M coupe looks kind of cool, but I own a Z4M coupe.

haringmp
haringmp New Reader
12/28/23 12:36 p.m.

wspohn:

Coudn't agree more- almost! The clown shoe has a mini-cult following, so to them it's "cool."

The Z4MC is gorgeous & currently drastically under-appreciated. Anyone who drives this as

a GT, long-distance BMW will be immediately convinced. I, too, own a Z4MC - 2007!! 

wspohn
wspohn UltraDork
1/7/24 1:46 p.m.
haringmp said:

wspohn:

Coudn't agree more- almost! The clown shoe has a mini-cult following, so to them it's "cool."

The Z4MC is gorgeous & currently drastically under-appreciated. Anyone who drives this as

a GT, long-distance BMW will be immediately convinced. I, too, own a Z4MC - 2007!! 

Mine is also a 2007 car in silver gray metallic with black interior and the top end sound system (which includes the PITA pop up screen).

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/8/24 2:04 p.m.

How do we feel about the narrow-body Z3 coupes? I dig them but it’s rare that you see one. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d5QpC6JWW9YWcc03IdaPjG9qgYs0JX3CoMt9iN63Ijmv6y1fq08PBxHAVRC6PSdW