1 2 3
Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
11/15/17 3:30 p.m.

As far as the Subaru BRZ goes, the Series.Yellow is about as kitted out as you can get one from the factory. Only 500 were built. They come with all the extras found in the Performance Package like upgraded Brembo brakes and Sachs performance shocks. However the Series.Yellow package also adds unique interior trim, 17x7.5-inch black aluminum wheels and, of course, that bright yellow paint.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/15/17 3:56 p.m.

As I usually say, how long until someone complains about power?

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
11/15/17 4:10 p.m.
Appleseed said:

I was going to make a joke about the Brembo's purpose beyond the epeen and bragging rights but I'm starting to feel like the power debate is played out.

Looks good in yellow and the boy racer in me digs the interior. I think Joe is right that considering the aftermarket support for the platform, why not just build a suspension to suit?

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
11/15/17 4:11 p.m.

I saw one a while back. I liked it.

why
why New Reader
11/16/17 6:28 a.m.

In reply to The0retical :

not everyone wants to deal with the headaches of modifying a car. These special editions are for people that will keep it stock, and there are tons of them out there. For an enthusiast buying a used 13 or 14 and modding the heck out of it is the way to go.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/16/17 8:22 a.m.

Bluetooth, Nav, heated seats and Alcantara..........other than a crummy stock stereo I feel like the BRZ Limited I own has plenty of creature comforts.

Oh and it doesn't make enough power.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
11/16/17 8:29 a.m.

Educemate me why the WRXSTi 305hp bullet is not in the nose of this .......oh and the front drive axle too????

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/16/17 8:53 a.m.

Still doesn't have enough power for me. 

Appleseed said:

Looks like about 17 hours. But I still contend that it isn't the amount of power, but rather the power-band. It is faster than my Miata, but it just doesn't feel like it is TO ME. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/16/17 9:17 a.m.
759NRNG said:

Educemate me why the WRXSTi 305hp bullet is not in the nose of this .......oh and the front drive axle too????

Packaging. There isn't room. 

NickD
NickD UltraDork
11/16/17 9:40 a.m.
Appleseed said:

I got laughed at recently after I co-drove a D/Street BRZ at an autocross when my 1.6L Miata broke and I was raving about how much power the BRZ had. It would break the tires loose at will (On RE71Rs) and wouldn't bog coming out of corners or if I launched at less than 5000rpm. All a matter of perspective, I suppose.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
11/16/17 9:42 a.m.

That color makes me happy. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/16/17 11:45 a.m.
759NRNG said:

Because the EJ motor is like 15 years old?

The FA20DIT in the WRX, would put the turbo below the subframe in a BRZ. 

NickD
NickD UltraDork
11/16/17 11:51 a.m.
759NRNG said:

Educemate me why the WRXSTi 305hp bullet is not in the nose of this

Because then to make it OEM levels of durable/reliable, they would have to beef up the transmission and differential and axles. And you would have to factor in proper cooling. And then the extra power and weight would require bigger brakes and wider wheels and tires. And then before you are done it weighs a bunch more and is priced out of the market. Same reason that Mazda gave for the Miata only having 155hp and won't have a Mazdaspeed variant.

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
11/16/17 12:06 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

And I'm the one over here thinking, "I hope to get my race car up to 1.6 Miata levels of straight line speed one day."

NickD
NickD UltraDork
11/16/17 12:14 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

Good lord, what are you driving? A Subaru Justy? An air-cooled Beetle? A Trabant?

Toebra
Toebra HalfDork
11/16/17 12:24 p.m.

1.7 914 maybe

I like it, and everyone knows, yellow is faster.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
11/16/17 12:30 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

He has a Diesel Mercedes, God's own Lemons chariot.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
11/16/17 12:37 p.m.
dculberson said:

In reply to NickD :

He has a Diesel Mercedes, God's own Lemons chariot.

Ooooooh, then go full Black Smoke Racing and throw a junkyard Eaton and turbocharger and go to town.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/16/17 12:40 p.m.

A neighbor might have one of these.   It's REALLY yellow!  I will check for the black rims the next time I see it.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/16/17 12:49 p.m.

This really is a Miata coupe - they've learned from Mazda that a special edition consisting of nothing but a custom color is newsworthy wink

NickD
NickD UltraDork
11/16/17 1:28 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

This really is a Miata coupe - they've learned from Mazda that a special edition consisting of nothing but a custom color is newsworthy wink

Not enough Nardi bits though

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/29/17 3:37 p.m.
NickD said:
759NRNG said:

Educemate me why the WRXSTi 305hp bullet is not in the nose of this

Because then to make it OEM levels of durable/reliable, they would have to beef up the transmission and differential and axles. And you would have to factor in proper cooling. And then the extra power and weight would require bigger brakes and wider wheels and tires. And then before you are done it weighs a bunch more and is priced out of the market. Same reason that Mazda gave for the Miata only having 155hp and won't have a Mazdaspeed variant.

Yup, pretty much. More power would mean more weight, more complexity and more money. But at least we'd have more to complain about, right? :)

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
11/29/17 4:09 p.m.

The problem with the "it doesn't need more power" argument is that no one is buying it.  I mean that literally, the BRZ is falling way below sales expectations.  And everyone who drives one says that the excellent chassis can handle more power.  

It doesn't need 300hp, I think taking that to 220hp and 200 ft/lb or torque would be plenty to silence the critics.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/30/17 7:04 a.m.

"I don't own one, but everyone who owns one is wrong about what it needs."

250hp and 200-210ft-lb minus the gaping tq dip at 4-4500k would be amazing. A header and E85 gets you close. But I'm not dumping anymore money into this thing.

Next year it's back to owning a V8. Mustang GT PP2 here I come!

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
11/30/17 7:14 a.m.

I must be getting old. People are actually complaining that a car is RWD. LOL. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ttr2yvhMkzk6LfokbFBI8wXGjIx9v9Afl6IfEPaXOOryMtmw2Dqe47oiPQyq7piK