ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
9/14/17 3:03 p.m.

I was thinking and every week i deal with people at the local dirt track also looking to add name to their cars and with everyone talking about it on here at times and with some of the recent posts I was really thinking the past few days there really is no real way for people to learn a right way to ask sponsor for help in some little or major way. I know a while back I took a class on Motorsports management. IN that class i did learn some stuff and also learning much on here also. So the idea was for sitting down with a camera and with a bunch of notes and what to do and what not to do and hash out a outline of advice for people to learn something about partner with company's to be their spokesperson in change for something. So if anyone things this might be a good idea to help with ideas and things you might have seen that could be used for a expansible idea, please add ideas tho this tread.

If the magazine staff wish's to jump on board for helping out please pipe up also and if them might be willing to spread word when we can get this done it would be nice

Thanks to everyone that might think this might have some good points.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/14/17 3:54 p.m.

When approaching a prospective sponsor you need to put yourself in their shoes.  What are you bringing to the table?  How are you helping them?  Why would they sponsor you instead of spending the $$ elsewhere. 

Also--- trade shows are not good places to seek sponsorships.  Companies are there to meet with distributors and media and get work done.  They aren't looking to give away handouts.  It's a huge pet peeve for company reps to deal with an endless stream of folks looking for sponsorship at places like PRI and SEMA.

When looking for sponsorship, take it seriously.  Create a business plan in writing that you can show them.  Take video to show them how you can help them promote their business.  Show them your Facebook account and how many folks you can bring to the table.  Create a serious business proposal and you'll have a much better chance of success.  You'll need to stand out from the crowd, as thousands of racers are looking for the same sponsorship dollars. 

just my .02

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
9/14/17 3:58 p.m.
ckosacranoid said:

I was thinking and every week i deal with people at the local dirt track also looking to add name to their cars and with everyone talking about it on here at times and with some of the recent posts I was really thinking the past few days there really is no real way for people to learn a right way to ask sponsor for help in some little or major way.

I think there is quite a bit of good information on the fundamentals out there already, like the article in this thread, but many (most?) people apparently aren't willing to take the time and effort to research it before rushing out to 'get sponsored'.  I don't know what a video might be able to do to change that aspect of it, but it also can't hurt to have an additional source for people to stumble upon.  If you're ok with the possibility that for the effort in doing so, you may still end up just preaching to the choir, then I say go for it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/14/17 7:31 p.m.

My 2 cents:

Don't refer to it as sponsorship. When I sponsor a walk-a-thon or something, it's basically a charitable donation. I give some money and in return get a warm, fuzzy feeling. When it comes to motorsports, treat it as a partnership. I know that sponsorship is the word that we toss about, but from the beginning approach it as a partnership.

So, the PS to that: Since we're going to be partners, tell me how you're going to solve one of my problems. Yeah, I get it, you want money to go race. That's great–for you. So what am I going to get in return? How are you going introduce me to new customers? Or fix a PR problem? Or position me ahead of my customers? Or provide a fun getaway for my employees? Or, maybe, get me involved in racing? Specifically show how this will fix something on my end, and we might have something to discuss. 

And one more PS: I'm going to want to see a solid track record. What have you accomplished already? How many followers do you have? How professional is the stuff that you are already producing? What's your reputation in the business? Who can you introduce to me

Again, call me selfish, but I'm going to make this all about me. Present a relationship that's a two-way street, and we could become buds. (As you can probably tell, over the years I have received a ton of proposals–rarely if ever are they about the person being asked to write the check.)

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
9/14/17 10:20 p.m.

Thank you so far for ideas. I see this and wanted to try to give back to some racers and if I  can help at least person, then great. Helping more would be even better.

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
9/15/17 8:25 a.m.

I disagree about track records. A partnership is about exposure. You need a media kit that shows the number of eyes on you with analytic information about your audience. You're not competing for dollars with other racers, you're competing for marketing dollars against radio, internet, print and television advertising.

Create creative media and develop a following to create value. VR headsets are becoming commonplace. Film every race with a 360 degree camera that's roof mounted in addition to at least 2 other cameras. Do pre and post race videos and at least one how-to video a week. Be active on social media, supportive of your competitors and assist the sanctioning body with volunteering your time. In short, in terms of media, be Ken Block, as a person while at the track, be Randy Probst. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/15/17 9:17 a.m.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant track record as far as success regarding exposure and successful partnerships, not setting lap records at race tracks. 

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
9/15/17 12:30 p.m.

We're in complete agreement then. Results that show consistent sustained entry and participation is Paramount

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
9/15/17 10:34 p.m.

Thanks guys, all this is very cool to hear.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
11/21/17 2:13 p.m.

sorry for revisiting this, but i needed to get it out to find it again for more notes for myself.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/21/17 2:29 p.m.

One tip about getting sponsors: Be careful what you wish for. Having sponsors to please will turn your hobby into more of a job, so don't seek it out unless you really need it. At our level, it's not a way to get free stuff, it's more like taking on a side job to earn that stuff.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3HZJ2cl284CInwqrWeOF78TG2A7Lp183TjrWwE7oxqLteC1Wqi87Hd9dAE6M1Snt