1 2 3
SivaSuryaKshatriya
SivaSuryaKshatriya
6/21/17 9:59 p.m.

Hi all, this is my first post on Grassroots Motorsports. I've been reading the mags for a while and lurking on the forums, but I've never posted.

Background

I purchased a FRS in 2013. I fell in love with the precise, sharp steering. After 2 years, I modified the car with coilovers, steering rack bushings, steering rack lock-down kit, roll center adjusters and 18x9.5 wheels with 255/35/18 Direzza ZII's to get the car to the handling level I wanted. My favorite part of the car is the amazing steering feel. However, I'm bored of the power now.

Corvette vs. FRS I'm looking for a car to keep for the next 6 years. The FRS is not very fast in a straight line, and as rewarding as I find corners (more so than straight line speed), I do want some more power. While I could turbo the FRS and get about 280 ish RWHP for $10k, I'm not sure if I would be satisfied completely. On the other hand, I have always been a huge Corvette fan and now have the opportunity to buy a C6 Z06 for a good price. On paper, the Corvette sounds like the perfect end-game car: 3,150 lb aluminum chassis, 505 NA motor (I would do the valve guide fix), and a decent after-market. My main problem, however, is that I've read that the C6 Z06 has numb and vague steering. Since I get so much satisfaction from cornering, I don't think I would be able to enjoy a car with such steering qualities. I feel that if I were able to rectify the Corvette's steering and get it to similar levels of feedback/precision/responsiveness as the FRS, I'd be happy. If not, though, I think I would highly regret my decision to trade in the FRS for the Z06.

Usage

• Weekend driving only, NOT daily driven
  • 6 ish track days/year, non-competitive
  • Auto-x, non-competitive
  • To improve as a driver

Questions

1) Is there any way to improve the Z06's steering and make it heavier and more precise? I was thinking steering rack bushings + more camber up front + control arm bushings.

2) Can I ever get it close to the FRS' level of precision, responsiveness and feedback?

3) Any comments from those who have driven both?

Thanks!

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
6/21/17 10:12 p.m.

Neither.....V8 miata Steering goodness of the BRZ with the HP and lust factor of the Z06. It's about the same price for a completed version. I drove all 3 and also some Cayman and Boxsters and I know I made the right choice.

You can have it all.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
6/21/17 11:00 p.m.

Turbo FRS? Why not just buy a dually Powerstroke and be done with it.

-OR-

Why you want turbo for FRS? Is not good enough as procured (etc etc) You have disease of American Capitalist (etc etc) Car is fine. You add turbo, it only get laggy and you still no hit clean side of apex. Go to autocross, practice with many run of course. Then you need no dumb E36 M3 bolted to side of engine.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
6/21/17 11:33 p.m.

C6 for sure.
Checks all your boxes and won't break a sweat doing so.
I'm not sure if ponying up for the Z06 (versus a normal C6) is needed but (literally) more power to you if you feel the need to go that route.

That being said, from the AX side of things, turboing the FRS means you'd be opting out of the soft PAX the non-TRD twins were just gifted...

yupididit
yupididit Dork
6/22/17 3:12 a.m.

You should go drive the corvette?

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
6/22/17 6:31 a.m.
Knurled wrote: Turbo FRS? Why not just buy a dually Powerstroke and be done with it. -OR- Why you want turbo for FRS? Is not good enough as procured (etc etc) You have disease of American Capitalist (etc etc) Car is fine. You add turbo, it only get laggy and you still no hit clean side of apex. Go to autocross, practice with many run of course. Then you need no dumb E36 M3 bolted to side of engine.

Ummm - ??

Don't quite understand why you're being so snarky. Was that supposed to be a joke?

Blaise
Blaise Reader
6/22/17 6:55 a.m.
yupididit wrote: You should go drive the corvette?

This. Why even post about it before driving it? This is 99% subjective. Make this decision after driving both back to back. Stats won't help decide what makes you happy :)

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
6/22/17 7:36 a.m.
jstein77 wrote:
Knurled wrote: Turbo FRS? Why not just buy a dually Powerstroke and be done with it. -OR- Why you want turbo for FRS? Is not good enough as procured (etc etc) You have disease of American Capitalist (etc etc) Car is fine. You add turbo, it only get laggy and you still no hit clean side of apex. Go to autocross, practice with many run of course. Then you need no dumb E36 M3 bolted to side of engine.
Ummm - ?? Don't quite understand why you're being so snarky. Was that supposed to be a joke?

Pretty sure this Knurled aping the "rifle is fine" Russian dude for humor's sake. Kinda obscure though.

Blaise wrote:
yupididit wrote: You should go drive the corvette?
This. Why even post about it before driving it? This is 99% subjective. Make this decision after driving both back to back. Stats won't help decide what makes you happy :)

Because it's fun to talk about? You are correct though.

If it were me I'd go with the C6Z because I'd never get even a fraction of that $10K back out of the turba'd twin. The OP's financial tolerance may be different than mine though. Also, I think I want a V8 in my life.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/22/17 7:40 a.m.

In reply to jstein77:

Say it in a Russian accent.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
6/22/17 8:12 a.m.

This wouldn't even be a topic of discussion for me. C6 Z06 every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
6/22/17 8:21 a.m.

Wow. A real Z06 vs. thread. I've always thought that one of the ironic parts of the Corvette is that it's actually easier to live with on a day to day basis than something like an FRS. It's a sledgehammer and, therefore, will do everything you want it to do.

To answer the OP's actual question. 'vette. You won't regret it.

STM317
STM317 Dork
6/22/17 8:22 a.m.

LS swap the FRS?

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
6/22/17 8:29 a.m.

I think consumables might be more expensive on the Corvette. Insurance is definitely going to be more expensive.

But I vote Corvette, because V8.

ztnedman1
ztnedman1 New Reader
6/22/17 8:43 a.m.

In reply to Sky_Render:

I guarantee the Vette has cheaper insurance. Vast majority or Vette owners are fuddy duddys driving 50 in the right hand lane. Was the biggest surprise of Vette ownership.

Consumables however... Especially tires, are very expensive though lol.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
6/22/17 8:47 a.m.

Pushrods win everytime in my book.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/22/17 8:52 a.m.

Based on what I know, the better bet is the vette both financially and reliably.

rodknock
rodknock New Reader
6/22/17 8:53 a.m.

I vote 2jz swap.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
6/22/17 9:15 a.m.

Silly question.

Vette every time, and you don't even need to go Z06. The nice thing about the Vette is that it's also a great cruiser, and very comfortable daily driver

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/22/17 9:23 a.m.
Sky_Render wrote: I think consumables *might* be more expensive on the Corvette. Insurance is definitely going to be more expensive. But I vote Corvette, because V8.

I wouldn't be so sure. Insurance on my '15 BRZ is approx 50% more expensive than it was on my '13 Mustang GT.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/22/17 9:24 a.m.

Also to the OP, after having had my BRZ for almost 3 years, I'd definitely go for the 'Vette if you can deal with the higher cost of consumables.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
6/22/17 10:08 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
Sky_Render wrote: I think consumables *might* be more expensive on the Corvette. Insurance is definitely going to be more expensive. But I vote Corvette, because V8.
I wouldn't be so sure. Insurance on my '15 BRZ is approx 50% more expensive than it was on my '13 Mustang GT.

HOLY CRAP.

Although I did notice that insuring my '11 Mustang GT is noticeably cheaper than most other cars. I wonder if availability of used parts has something to do with it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/22/17 10:43 a.m.

Probably because you haven't mowed down a crowd of people with it yet.

yupididit
yupididit Dork
6/22/17 10:48 a.m.

I'm pretty sure Vettes have pretty low insurance rates for what they are.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
6/22/17 11:22 a.m.

You really need to drive a Corvette. That said, I am someone who prefers a small nimble car, and my Corvette ownership experience has been pretty awesome. Shameless plug, mine is for sale because we have a baby on the way and I need a back seat. Heads fixed and just a few tasteful mods.

C6 Z06 ad!

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
6/22/17 11:31 a.m.
bmw88rider wrote: Neither.....V8 miata Steering goodness of the BRZ with the HP and lust factor of the Z06. It's about the same price for a completed version. I drove all 3 and also some Cayman and Boxsters and I know I made the right choice. You can have it all.

Is this car in Texas or do you keep it somewhere else?

If it is can I get a ride in it sometime??? I think I need to see what it's like

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SLJHP4VVEGLDHH8HtX7lijYxtIMDcOSb9m9OlLm7wDssM3l4enOBrZMaMNEh4FR9