oldtin UltraDork
2/14/13 10:29 a.m.

e36 = Fritz, it's had a few issues

mgb - Mrs oldtin calls it hammond - small and british

used to have an old f150 we called Hank

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
2/14/13 10:45 a.m.

I call the FRS the "Lemon Drop Martini".

The MGB GT is the "GT From Hell".

The Bugeye Sprite is called "Lil "cause it is such a Li'l car and when done this spring goes back to her original owner whose name just so happens to be, what else, but Lil.

The Versa is known as "The Toaster".

dsxs11
dsxs11 New Reader
2/14/13 10:58 a.m.

My Bright Red Yukon XL is Big Red

the 91 SHO is SHOBOOM

88 FC is Brap

62 Rambler is fugly

Chrysler 300 is called 3bills.

Have not named the new CTS V Wagon yet.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
2/14/13 11:22 a.m.
bravenrace wrote:
Klayfish wrote: Am I the only one who doesn't name their cars? I've always found it a bit odd. As much as I love my cars, I still see them as machines.
There's at least two of us. Although back in the 70's I had a '71 Formula 400 Firebird. I put, in gold leaf, the words "Dream Weaver" on the back of the rear spoiler. Seems pretty flaky now, but cool at the time.

Actually, I should say I've never named any cars I've owned. My father always had company cars when I was a kid. I was 12 years old when he got an '84 Chrysler LeBaron. It was one of those talking cars....please fasten your seatbelt or your lights are on. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. I think I named it "Ralph". Don't know why. In typical 80's Chrysler fashion, the car only lasted about 60k miles before it became to unreliable for my father to use as a sales car.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
2/14/13 11:30 a.m.

In reply to Klayfish:

Well, okay, but at least Ralph had a personality.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
2/14/13 12:58 p.m.

A good friend of mine once had a mint (both color and condition) '77 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham with a 440, that we called the magic carpet. It was a fantastic road tripping car. 80 mph on the highway effortlessly, and could get 20+ mpg thanks to very high rear axel gears.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
2/14/13 1:55 p.m.

The Golf is "Little Bit" (last MY of the Mk.2 and cars seemed to get bigger around it as the years went by). The green Corrado is "The Fried Green Corrado" (orig. a FL car, clearcoat is blistered). The black one, much as I enjoy it, hasn't really earned a name yet.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
2/14/13 2:52 p.m.

My first car was a Plymouth Duster. I named him "Dusty."

Redhornet
Redhornet New Reader
2/14/13 4:01 p.m.

My 1988 MR2 was named "Redhornet" by my grandfather.

Aeromoto
Aeromoto HalfDork
2/14/13 8:33 p.m.

It smokes a bit from time to time......, or used to, anyway.

saruken
saruken New Reader
2/14/13 8:46 p.m.

Kids have a way of getting to the truth of things in an innocent, blunt sort of manner. When my wife was a little girl, she called her dad's Chevy Citation 'Clunk Doggy'. She wrote in a diary entry about the car, "Sometimes Clunk Doggy doesn't want to wake up in the morning so Dad has to push him down the hill."

JKleiner
JKleiner Reader
2/15/13 5:46 a.m.

My wife and daughter always name their vehicles but it's something that I never did until a few years ago when I drove an '07 Corolla that our company had on lease for the office staff's daily use on a 600 mile road trip to attend a seminar. From that point on I referred to it as "The Penalty Box". Miserable little car...

wspohn
wspohn Reader
2/15/13 11:28 a.m.
Nashco wrote: The idea of naming cars that already were already given a name is weird to me. The furthest I've ever gone to naming them is when I had two of the exact same car (Volvo 122 wagon). I called one "Blue" and the other "Green" for obvious reasons. I think I was raised in a way that we didn't name "stuff" that may come or go. When we had pigs, they were named "Pork" and "Chop"... Bryce

Yeah, that's the way it seems to me too. We must be missing the 'cute' gene that makes people apply names to things like their boats that would otherwise make a sensible person want to spit up.

I have just never seen the point in trying to imbue inanimate objects with some sort of personality. But then I don't name parts of my body ('Steady on Dukey, we'll be in port soon...'), or garden tools ('That damned Clarice needs sharpening again...') either, so.....

We go by make name and if we have more than one, by model or colour.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
2/15/13 12:02 p.m.

Geo storm: zippy
Datsun phaeton project: Rose (...as in Tokyo Rose)

[edit: my ex also called my corolla "Adam" like the comedian]

Wxdude10
Wxdude10 None
2/17/13 8:22 a.m.

Yellow Fellow - Yellow '71 Mercury Capri
Green Bean - Green '78 Chevy Maibu Wagon
Tan Van - Tan '85 Custom Ford Econoline E-150

Those were my parents cars. Names were based on the color of the car. Mine,

Fudgie - 2007 Mazda 6 - Now, while the first gen 6 has a reputation for nice handling, it has a horrible turning radius. My wife's 2007 Sienna can turn tighter than the 6. We started to joke that it turned as well as a beached whale, which the turned into Fudgie the Whale, and then just Fudgie.

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast New Reader
2/17/13 9:52 a.m.

I had an 85 Blazer back in the day that had an all vinyl interior. My buddies called it " The Vinyl Mobile". They also used to get in and complain"Does it have any heat? Does it go any faster?"

shadetree30
shadetree30 Reader
2/17/13 1:49 p.m.

I had an MG 1100 that I called Princess Margaret, my Ranger is The Bean (it's green) and the E30 in storage that may one day become a race car is named Elvira. If/when the E36 makes it home she's going to be Sabina Schmitt(sp?).

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B6e3GouiDsMCoVzEa2cdPnlG7OXetBdYuzDbl0VZKq1OG7W6fyYNFk3wpJZ8gFm6