Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
9/14/17 3:41 p.m.

I'm trying to think of a decent CUV, That doesn't suck for rally cross. I know my crosstrek checks nearly all of the boxes except the fact that I cannot disable the ABS and traction systems without also disabling the electronic differential.  Which means I'm either open diff, or severely hampered for trying to rotate the vehicle around cones.

Does somebody make something brand new, under $25,000 dollars, and is able to traverse and rotate on farm fields?

it would be interesting to see a magazine article with a rally cross shoot out with these things. Like the Jeep renegade, that odd KIA thing, the crosstrek, and the Mazda cx3 and Honda HRV. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
9/15/17 6:49 a.m.

Why not put a real diff in the Crosstrek?

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
9/15/17 6:53 a.m.

Why not just run the crosstrek? The is one that runs in our region in stock and he is definitely not slow. 

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
9/15/17 6:55 a.m.

I thought the V6 manual rav 4 was the ticket here?

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
9/15/17 7:55 a.m.

There's never been a v6/manual combo in the Rav4. In fact, i think if you want a manual with that engine you have to buy a Lotus Evora. Not ideal for rallycross i suppose. 

I'm going to default to what i would tell any enthusiast forced to shop CUVs: Look at Mazdas.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/15/17 8:03 a.m.

Lowered Forester XT

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
9/15/17 8:10 a.m.

MotoIQ built a hill climb Juke. They can be had cheap and came in AWD.

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
9/15/17 8:56 a.m.

Lower the budget to $4k and go with a first gen RAV4 lowered. 

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
9/15/17 10:44 a.m.

Not a bad idea. Someone, supposedly, somewhere, is working on a rear diff for these cars. It'll be an air locker style I believe. Nothing for the fronts yet, and highly doubtful they'll ever make anything for the automatic 6spd. 

I took a stroll onto the major forums for each of the cars listed (and the juke) they all suffer from the same issue where tcs and asc cant be completely eliminated. The closest I can come to is disconnecting the passenger wheel speed sensor, which works, but again, it disables the e-lsd effect and makes me peg leg like a pirate. 

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
9/15/17 11:36 a.m.
EvanB said:

Why not just run the crosstrek? The is one that runs in our region in stock and he is definitely not slow. 

Is that the orange one up in Washington? 

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
9/15/17 12:16 p.m.

Nope, it's in Ohio.

Hal
Hal UltraDork
9/15/17 2:33 p.m.
Trackmouse said:

I'm trying to think of a decent CUV, That doesn't suck for rally cross. I know my crosstrek checks nearly all of the boxes except the fact that I cannot disable the ABS and traction systems without also disabling the electronic differential.  Which means I'm either open diff, or severely hampered for trying to rotate the vehicle around cones.

Too bad X-Drive is speed limited.  Would be nice if it worked at higher speeds. 

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
9/15/17 2:48 p.m.

First gen CRV maybe?

Oh wait missed new

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
9/15/17 3:11 p.m.

Old stuff was great. My next rally crosser might be an old Impreza or crv. 

thedanimal
thedanimal HalfDork
9/15/17 3:16 p.m.

BMW X1's have gotten surprisingly cheap. 

https://www.carmax.com/car/14903692

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
9/15/17 4:05 p.m.
Trackmouse said:

I cannot disable the ABS and traction systems without also disabling the electronic differential. 

There's no workaround for that, like disabling everything then  hacking into the diff and doing it manually?

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
9/15/17 6:36 p.m.

How cheap can the Paceman, or whatever the AWD turbo Mini is called, be found for. 

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
9/16/17 12:02 a.m.
Zomby Woof said:
Trackmouse said:

I cannot disable the ABS and traction systems without also disabling the electronic differential. 

There's no workaround for that, like disabling everything then  hacking into the diff and doing it manually?

The awd system still functions. No one currently makes anything, but Crawford performance has asked the crosstrek community for input (sadly, it's filled with dismal idiots that glue emblems to the cars...) I've given them an earful of that info. 

The abs system is what drives the E-lsd. What we need is no ABS action for preventing the brakes from locking up from brake pedal effort, but the abs system to work for the E-lsd effect. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qBkpY1WaO0Su5aRVCT3sDLPNZq96VlRiJr0kYV3PYiIhcYhFuMeiIwl2BXtNpqWf