Schrödinger's Flight Service
Schrödinger's Flight Service MegaDork
3/22/17 3:17 p.m.

We have covered it before, but I thought this was a good article from Super StreetHonda Civic Si - Poor Man's Alignment

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
3/22/17 9:30 p.m.

The bucket of water is genius.

Thanks for posting.

frenchyd
frenchyd Reader
3/23/17 3:09 a.m.

In reply to Schrödinger's Flight Service:

Another way to use a bucket of water is to throw it on the shop floor.. As it dries puddles form in the low spots.. You may not need a 1/8th inch tile but a flat sheet of metal or two to bring a low spot up to level.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
3/23/17 7:33 a.m.

I've done the bucket thing , but without the bucket. Just tape one end on the tubing to anything vertical, like the wall. The other end goes to the yardstick. Fill the tube with water and food colouring by using a small funnel. You can check the level of the entire garage if your tube is long enough.

3/23/17 12:33 p.m.

Hey Mods we might want to move this to Tech Tips

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
3/23/17 1:35 p.m.

Hey Flight Service, it's moved now.

3/23/17 1:44 p.m.

you = da man

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
3/23/17 3:47 p.m.
Schrödinger's Flight Service wrote: you = da Woman

FTFY.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
3/23/17 3:53 p.m.

It's no big thing, I like to think (hope) that I am accepted as one of "the guys". It's all good.

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UltraDork
3/23/17 4:38 p.m.

"Typically, toe should be adjusted first." That's completely wrong.
Camber, caster, then toe. Toe will be greatly affected by changes in camber.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
3/23/17 5:52 p.m.

In reply to EastCoastMojo:

Believe me, you are. I'm just harassing Flight Service a little.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr SuperDork
3/23/17 6:04 p.m.
EastCoastMojo wrote: It's no big thing, I like to think (hope) that I am accepted as one of "the guys". It's all good.

I get a kick out of it when you are referred to as a guy. My wife owns our chumpcar and races with us.

I love it when somebody comes up and asks which dude was in the car because they are fast.... it's my wife!

3/24/17 11:38 a.m.

Da man is not A man.

I know ECM is a lady

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
4/8/17 7:06 p.m.

I'm not sure I understand the bucket of water thing...

"Raise or lower the jack until the tubing's water level terminates at a height that's easy for you to see head-on and coincides with a whole number on the yardstick. For example, raise or lower the jack until the water's meniscus (the curve-shaped water surface), sits just below, say, the five-inch mark. Don't get too hung up on the actual value the meniscus sits at; just make sure to reference the same value for each tire. Repeat the procedure at each corner until you find the highest location."

If I go to each corner and raise or lower the jack until the tubing's water level terminates at five-inch mark, how does that tell me which corner is higher/lower compared to the others?

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
4/17/17 8:07 a.m.

Once you get the bucket in position, you don't move it. The only reason you need the jack at all (hint: you don't need it) is to get the water level to a mark that is easy to read.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
4/17/17 9:45 a.m.

Got it. Thanks!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
N5DdyYK7595raH0JRuDfLCfvHabLeR2hlicjnrZhGAWvwFifeupKp3ZjKJMZ3dIf