alleykat Reader
Aug. 12, 2017 7:21 p.m.

Any body in the Richmond Va area willing to weld in new passenger sway bar mount? I have the part and will do all the grunt of cutting the old one out. I will be happy to throw some money/parts/beer/pizza your way. Otherwise could anyone recommend a mobile welder?

jfryjfry Reader
Aug. 13, 2017 8:19 a.m.

If you can get it to Los Angeles, I'd be happy to :)

JBasham Reader
Aug. 14, 2017 2:02 p.m.

If this is a tube strut housing with a removable Koni insert, cool. If it's another setup and the sway bar mount is on the actual shock body, I'm not even sure you CAN weld a new mount on there. I think the potential for heat-deforming the body tube would mess with the piston sealing ability whenever it hit the deformed spot.

The main reason I wouldn't do it, is I weld like a farmer. Which means sometimes I burn through. Which is bad when the other side is oil under pressure. If I found a talented TIG welder that was willing to take it on, I still wouldn't let him do it on my premises, but admittedly I'm being a pansy.

Ground Control used to sell a bolt-on sway bar tab/mount as a component of their coil-over conversion kits. You could call Jay and see if he would be willing to sell you one. I don't know of another supplier.

Robbie UberDork
Aug. 14, 2017 2:09 p.m.

Op- you're not talking about where the end links connect to the strut (m3) or the control arm (non m3) right?

You're talking about the mount that holds the bushings?

If you are talking about the end links connection, I recommend getting new m3 shocks and bolting them in. I see to remember that the non m front bar is actually bigger than the m3 version, because the m3 version bolts to the shock and has more leverage than the control arm mount. If you use a non m bar with m end links and shocks, you will get the stiffest front setup possible with factory stuff.

mad_machine MegaDork
Aug. 14, 2017 3:27 p.m.

I think the E36 tends to rot the mounts off of the body

JBasham Reader
Aug. 15, 2017 10:52 a.m.

D'oh! If OP means the stamped metal "cup" that is spot-welded onto the front frame tube to face the sway bar bushing bracket, that makes more sense. Sorry!

alleykat Reader
Aug. 17, 2017 12:52 p.m.
JBasham wrote: If OP means the stamped metal "cup" that is spot-welded onto the front frame tube to face the sway bar bushing bracket, that makes more sense.

That is exactly what I am talking about. It had rotted to the point that the bolts holding the sway bar bracket pulled through.

I found a local race car fabricator/builder who is welding on the replacement cup for $200.00 That seems like a very reasonable price to me.

That will allow me to get it inspected and back on the road.

mad_machine MegaDork
Aug. 17, 2017 6:40 p.m.

yes, E36s like to rot those away. Not a whole lot of protection for them from road salt, water, and grit coming off of the road

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Classic Motorsports

Show Us Your Shop and Win Prizes

1 day ago in News

3-car? 1-car? parking lot? We want to see where you mess with your car. Our favorites win some major prizes.

Classic Motorsports Car Catcher: Jaguar E-Type

1 day ago in News

Looking for an iconic British sports car?

Dreams Before the End of the Road

5 days ago in Articles

Told She Had Just Three Months to Live, Sue Patterson Wanted Only Three Things: a Camel, a Kangaroo, and the ...

Join Our Smoky Mountain Tour

6 days ago in News

How would you like to drive your classic sports car the way you’ve always wished you could?

Classic Motorsports Car Catcher: Ginetta G4

1 week ago in News

It's a serious vintage racer for sale.

Classic Motorsports Car Catcher: Mint Condition BMW M1

2 weeks ago in News

An iconic BMW in beautiful Henna Red.

Through the Roof

2 weeks ago in Articles

One of 11 survivors, this hardtop Triumph TR2 embodies the saga of a once-promising Belgian auto industry.

Mlassic Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Classic Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More