iPhone 7

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
9/16/17 1:33 p.m.

Zed's dead baby.  Zed's dead.  Yeah can't see it on a MacBookPro either. wink

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
9/16/17 1:34 p.m.

I guess it's still the button on the GRM banner at the top.  Has it been improved? wink

secretariata
secretariata Dork
9/16/17 1:35 p.m.

Click on the magnifying glass in the top black banner just right of center.  A search box appears just below the black GRM banner.  At least in Windoze...

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/16/17 1:50 p.m.

In reply to secretariata :

Nope. No magnifying glass. 

Perhaps there is something there black on black- I tried to randomly push in that area and something tries to pop up, but it never fully does. 

Sigh...

RevRico
RevRico UltraDork
9/16/17 2:12 p.m.

On my android there are 3 horizontal bars on the top right of the page, that include "builds" "features" "videos" "forum" "events" and "store". At the bottom is a search bar. 

Maybe there's something there on apple?

And no, not improved yet. I can type in an exact thread title (I know cause I made it) and it says no results. So I guess it's still google with the pretense of site:grassrootsmotorsports.com *search query goes here*

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/16/17 3:31 p.m.

Everybody bitches endlessly about the search function anyway, so who cares?  Just go to Google and add "site:grassrootsmotorsports.com". You can even add /forumname to the part in quotes above to restrict it to a specific board. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
9/16/17 3:55 p.m.

I see the magnifying glass in the top black bar, it's right about in the center and next to the Store button.  I'm using a Macbook with Safari.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/16/17 4:01 p.m.

In reply to RevRico :

That was what I needed. Had to scroll down to find it. 

Thanks!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/16/17 4:02 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

I use it. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
9/17/17 8:34 a.m.

Is there something that precludes making a search bar in the site that uses Google, or Bing (or Altavista or Dogpile)? 

I know I have seen that elsewhere - maybe they have to pay for the privilege.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
9/17/17 8:38 a.m.
SVreX said:

Where's the search feature in the new forum?  frown

iPhone 7

It's behind that blinding white light.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/17/17 8:39 a.m.
Duke said:

Everybody bitches endlessly about the search function anyway, so who cares?  Just go to Google and add "site:grassrootsmotorsports.com". You can even add /forumname to the part in quotes above to restrict it to a specific board. 

This.

It's the best way to search virtually any website.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/17/17 9:33 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Not all of us have the luxury of working from a desk or a keyboard. 

I know how to do the site searches on Google, but 98% of what I do is from a smartphone. Fat fingers on a stupid small screen make entering long string queries hard. 

At the moment I asked the question, I was looking for a forum member. A pull-down search on GRM, enter 6 characters of their name, and bam- I find them. 

The google search would have taken significantly more characters to enter, which is more opportunity for error, which of course would mean re-entering. 

The google site search method is not always the best way to search a site. 

RevRico answered my question, and I appreciate it. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/17/17 12:49 p.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to z31maniac :

Not all of us have the luxury of working from a desk or a keyboard. 

I know how to do the site searches on Google, but 98% of what I do is from a smartphone. Fat fingers on a stupid small screen make entering long string queries hard. 

At the moment I asked the question, I was looking for a forum member. A pull-down search on GRM, enter 6 characters of their name, and bam- I find them. 

The google search would have taken significantly more characters to enter, which is more opportunity for error, which of course would mean re-entering. 

The google site search method is not always the best way to search a site. 

RevRico answered my question, and I appreciate it. 

Gotcha. 

I rarely, very rarely, look at the internet on my phone. I hate the way phone versions look and navigate.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
9/17/17 7:53 p.m.

+1 to google search.  The big advantage over the GRM search is it works.  Like 9/10 times I search for something, it doesn't show up in the GRM search (easily anyway), but I can immediately find it using the google search.

But yeah, it is a bit difficult to do with a phone.  But so is everything.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
94NnapNJBuo8OiWran7RkAHpw1r08O5ABYwIy6xCzawl7B0g0N78ps9C7Wlrb2Jv