2 3 4 5
NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
12/11/17 2:24 p.m.
JBasham said:

Anybody who does a motor swap is the kind of person I would like to talk to, no matter what kind of motor they used.

This...There really is no such thing as a cookie cutter engine swap. Engine swaps are all about the details and not easy to do. Even Miata swaps, where kits are so common, seem to all have a different twist to the game. In some cases, the engine is not even the main ingredient in the project, just one of many ingredients that went into a unique car.

I have a hard time seeing anyone who had actually done a swap  putting down any other person's swap.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/11/17 2:26 p.m.
JBasham said:

The Internet is just a contrary place...

It's a powerful motor in a small package so I can see why it's so popular.  Personally if I wanted to go that way I would just buy the C5 and start enjoying the motor at the track immediately.

There's no place called The Internet, of course. However, as a medium does allow people to spew crap they'd never say in person, especially if they post anonymously behind an alias and nobody else calls them on it. Anonymity and distance seem to be the enemies of politeness and thoughtfulness. People feel empowered to proclaim they have less than zero respect for someone else's hard work and skill just because it uses components that don't fit their personal definition of what is cool. Would you really say that to someone else's face? Of course not, because it's a lot more painful and embarrassing being a troll in real life.

The big downside to LS swaps is the "why not get a Corvette?" question. As if the engine becomes the single defining feature of any car it's in. Do Coyote swappers get told they should have just bought a Mustang GT? I doubt it somehow. A Lotus Elise uses a Camry engine, but I'll bet nobody ever asks why not just get a Camry... laugh But anything with an LS is automatically a poor man's Corvette for some reason. Perhaps because it's such an iconic car tied to the engine. Maybe if we put V6 Ecoboosts in cars it'll be viewed as a poor man's Ford GT!

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
12/11/17 2:41 p.m.
Bobcougarzillameister said:
Tom_Spangler said:

All of which is understandable.  You want to try something different, that's great.  Variety is the spice of life, and all that.  However, there's no reason to E36 M3 on people who don't feel the same as you do.

This. Why all the hate? Seriously. The attitude that someone built a car they want is beneath you because it's not "original" is totally dickish. 

I did the first documented 5.3 swap(one of very few completed swaps at the time of any gen3 engine) in b body history, but it’s not original because ls swap is overdone wink

Bobcougarzillameister
Bobcougarzillameister MegaDork
12/11/17 2:42 p.m.
Patrick said:
Bobcougarzillameister said:
Tom_Spangler said:

All of which is understandable.  You want to try something different, that's great.  Variety is the spice of life, and all that.  However, there's no reason to E36 M3 on people who don't feel the same as you do.

This. Why all the hate? Seriously. The attitude that someone built a car they want is beneath you because it's not "original" is totally dickish. 

I did the first documented 5.3 swap in b body history, but it’s not original because ls swap is overdone wink

tell me more. 

yupididit
yupididit SuperDork
12/11/17 2:43 p.m.

Whoa I think ya'll are taking these post way too serious and personal. It's just the internet! 

Keith, let me get a "poor-man's Corvette" in a ND the RF flavor, please! blush

yupididit
yupididit SuperDork
12/11/17 2:45 p.m.

So, back on subject. 

How well does the Coyote fit in the SN95  or early S197 platform?

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon New Reader
12/11/17 2:48 p.m.
yupididit said:

So, back on subject. 

They both got Dohc v8s from the factory so it shouldn’t be too difficult I would think 

I'm pretty sure the Coyote would fit easily under the cowl of a '32 Model B. Or a '41 Deluxe. Both of which my dad has. If he passes while I'm still young enough to still play with cars, one of them is getting a Coyote. The other is getting an LS devil

MotorsportsGordon
12/11/17 2:56 p.m.
WildScotsRacingCampbellCougarSeed said:

I'm pretty sure the Coyote would fit easily under the cowl of a '32 Model B. Or a '41 Deluxe. Both of which my dad has. If he passes while I'm still young enough to still play with cars, one of them is getting a Coyote. The other is getting an LS devil

I’m pretty positive coyotes have already been done on 32s I know 4.6 aswell as northstars have been put in them aswell. Some cobra kit cars have had coyotes in them aswell.

Sparkydog
Sparkydog New Reader
12/11/17 3:10 p.m.
yupididit said:

So, back on subject. 

Shave the strut towers if you need more room.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
12/11/17 3:15 p.m.
yupididit said:

So, back on subject. 

I think there are already Coyote swaps in Fox-body mustangs, so I would assume just fine.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
12/11/17 3:19 p.m.

Yup I have seen swapped ones up on Racing Junk a number of times. Its quite common for the older chassis american iron race cars

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
12/11/17 3:40 p.m.

Coyote swaps and parts,  Fox Body, SN95, New Edge and S197

https://lmr.com/products/Coyote-Engine-Swap-Mustang

MotorsportsGordon
12/11/17 3:53 p.m.
Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
12/11/17 4:28 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
JBasham said:

The Internet is just a contrary place...

It's a powerful motor in a small package so I can see why it's so popular.  Personally if I wanted to go that way I would just buy the C5 and start enjoying the motor at the track immediately.

There's no place called The Internet, of course. However, as a medium does allow people to spew crap they'd never say in person, especially if they post anonymously behind an alias and nobody else calls them on it. Anonymity and distance seem to be the enemies of politeness and thoughtfulness. People feel empowered to proclaim they have less than zero respect for someone else's hard work and skill just because it uses components that don't fit their personal definition of what is cool. Would you really say that to someone else's face?

I have and WILL continue to say it to people’s faces, at the track, on this forum, and anywhere else I feel inclined to spray my biased opinion. No one. I mean NO ONE can shut me down and change my opinion. It’s nice to live in America. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
12/11/17 4:39 p.m.
STM317 said:
Knurled. said:

In reply to NickD :

I don't know what a FEAD is, but you can use an electric pump (Minis are swappable, not sure how swappable Mazdas are) or an electric column (find a Saturn VUE, bring tools).

FEAD = Front End Accessory Drive. Fabbing a bracket for a reasonable power steering pump and running a longer serp belt doesn't seem like a huge deal to me if you're already planning a swap.

Or just convert to electric power steering.

None of the modern engines come with provisions for a bellcrank/Z-bar either, so you have to convert to hydraulic clutch if using a manual trans.  Same thing.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
12/11/17 4:41 p.m.
dculberson said:

I still think it's ridiculous that your measure for how interesting a racecar is isn't it's speed around the course. "Boring" does not apply to the faster of two cars when the point is to go faster. Maybe if you're talking about a concours event that mindset makes sense.

When your metric is lap times, anything subjective is irrelevant.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
12/11/17 5:27 p.m.

Wow. I didn't mean for this to get into a pissing contest. I was just pondering the possibility of putting a coyote in a clapped-out salvage title Mustang. Just Saturday morning mental masturbation. LOL. That being said, remember the old days when everybody was putting rotary Motors in everything? That was fun. And putting an LS motor in anything other than what it originally came in is cool too.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
12/11/17 5:59 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

Sadly man, some folks absolutely MUST argue that an LS engine is the only way to go. And therefore it causes heated debate (every time, every thread). 

To be on topic and add something relevant, I would suggest doing it. The Ford purist will thumbs up you. The guy like me, that appreciates diversity, will high five you. Like others have said, You already have a dual overhead cam engine in there, so the coyote engine will very likely fit, albeit a little squished.

MotorsportsGordon
12/11/17 6:03 p.m.

Somewhere there is probably some old ford hot rodder cursing all modern engines and saying that you all should put a flathead in lol

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
12/11/17 6:35 p.m.
Trackmouse said:

Sadly man, some folks absolutely MUST argue that an LS engine is the only way NOT to go. And therefore it causes heated debate (every time, every thread).  And some folks is me.

There -- I fixed that for you Trackmouse.  ;)

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
12/11/17 6:40 p.m.
MotorsportsGordon said:

Somewhere there is probably some old ford hot rodder cursing all modern engines and saying that you all should put a flathead in lol

That's probably the HAMB.

Speedtalk is where the LS is junk and how come Chevy never made an intermediate engine with the LS heads on a small block Chevy block, they would have sold BILLIONS of them, they really missed out!  (aka "I want awesome cheap junkyard heads for the worn out 283 in my truck")  And all modern cars suck because you can't fix them with a worn out silver dime like you could fix your points ignition on the side of the road!

(Because you HAD to work on them... constantly... you never "fixed" them, you just worked on them)

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/11/17 7:32 p.m.

You bastards. Now I'm contemplating the logistics of a truck Coyote in a P71 swap.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
12/11/17 7:47 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Do it.  The P71 has a decent chassis and the 5.0 is wasted on trucks.  The 3.5 Ecoboost is a way better truck motor than any Mod motor could ever be.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
12/11/17 7:53 p.m.

Hmmmmm....coyote fit in a mustang II  fastback chassis?

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uTgZ8jXSoQJD4hgywHwvg2IAWhX9GEoBN5d0pcY0YMHTyWA3PdJDMAiZjNFmm3Sz