3 4 5
yupididit
yupididit SuperDork
12/11/17 8:05 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

Hmmmmm....coyote fit in a mustang II  fastback chassis?

I want to put a 1uz with itb's and blitz nur-spec mufflers in a mustang IIblush

Mr. Lee
Mr. Lee UberDork
12/12/17 1:09 a.m.

Personally, I LOL'd at the idea of F&F3 when they stuffed the RB motor in the Mustang. I've wanted to stuff a turbo import I6 into classic iron for a LONG time.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
12/12/17 2:51 a.m.

I know a guy who was planning on putting a Triton V10 in his Crown Vic purely so his Crown Vic would make straight piped V10 noises. That was the only motivator. Car had already been through 3 other turbo mod motors before that, it had a 6.2 truck engine in it at the time. Apparently 4.6 4v from a Lincoln is the way to go if you want to turbo a stock mod motor in a Crown Vic and make power on the cheap.  He went to the 6.2 later because he got one cheap after the 4v exploded (too much nitrous) and wanted to try it. 

Here, there's my useful topic related though for this tread. Coyote is still too complicated and expensive for this crowd but a 4.6 4V is doable and still pretty good. 

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
12/12/17 5:12 a.m.

You can power just about anything with anything because there is no substitute for cubic dollars.  472 inch Hemi in Bugeye Sprite....

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
12/12/17 8:34 a.m.

I love that the original poster was just talking about snagging a truck coyote to swap. 

Howoware the new coyotes on reliability? I haven't heard much about them tbh. (No news is good news?)

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/12/17 8:43 a.m.
Trackmouse said:

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

Sadly man, some folks absolutely MUST argue that an LS engine is the only way to go. And therefore it causes heated debate (every time, every thread). 

Literally nobody said that. The only "anti" Coyote stuff, if you want to call it that, has to do with cost and size.

Bobcougarzillameister
Bobcougarzillameister MegaDork
12/12/17 10:22 a.m.
dculberson said:
Trackmouse said:

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

Sadly man, some folks absolutely MUST argue that an LS engine is the only way to go. And therefore it causes heated debate (every time, every thread). 

Literally nobody said that. The only "anti" Coyote stuff, if you want to call it that, has to do with cost and size.

THIS. Someone went off the deep end. 

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
12/12/17 12:05 p.m.

Suspect he's been playing in the deep end for a while....

frenchyd
frenchyd Dork
12/12/17 12:08 p.m.

In reply to MichaelYount :

There is a JaguarV12 powered Miata in Australia.  

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
12/12/17 5:18 p.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to MichaelYount :

There is a JaguarV12 powered Miata in Australia.  

Yup - anything into anything.  My favorite line from Dave Marion's Hemi Bugeye went something like this -- "....we had to alter the stops on the steering rack so the front tires wouldn't hit the VALVE COVERS at full lock...."  So - bring on the wide Coyotes!  Meanwhile I'll stick with the not-exactly-plug-play LS in mine.  

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
12/12/17 6:35 p.m.

I was at Cooper Customs in S. FL.  today to look at a race car someone wants me to work on and up on the lift in the shop I spotted this and thought of this thread. So I asked the guys if they'd mind lowering the lift and if I could take a few pics, so here ya go! It's got an electric steering set up.

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/COOPER%20CUSTOMS/20171212_151824_zps3znpisup.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/COOPER%20CUSTOMS/20171212_151926_zpsf3ireqd0.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/COOPER%20CUSTOMS/20171212_151953_zpsxmtikubd.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/COOPER%20CUSTOMS/20171212_153211_zpsymszxt70.jpg.html][/URL]

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
12/12/17 7:08 p.m.
MichaelYount said:

You can power just about anything with anything because there is no substitute for cubic dollars. 

That reminds me of a comment I saw on a video where a turbo Caravan blew away a stockish Mustang GT.

"i guess you can make anything fast if you have enough money."

(how much are fish tank valves?)

Opti
Opti HalfDork
12/14/17 8:13 p.m.

Has anyone figured out a half way decent controller to run the coyotes. A few years ago one of the big mustang companies came out with a coyote swap for the s197 and mutliplw people put them in and had major driveability problems and were way down on power.

I assumed they figured it out and this afternoon i was talking to a co-worker who is a big mustang guy and he said he helped a friend do a coyote swap on a new edge and they had similar problems with thw pcm.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
12/15/17 10:53 a.m.
STM317
STM317 Dork
12/15/17 11:15 a.m.
Opti said:

Has anyone figured out a half way decent controller to run the coyotes. A few years ago one of the big mustang companies came out with a coyote swap for the s197 and mutliplw people put them in and had major driveability problems and were way down on power.

I assumed they figured it out and this afternoon i was talking to a co-worker who is a big mustang guy and he said he helped a friend do a coyote swap on a new edge and they had similar problems with thw pcm.

What's the issue? Trying to control an engine with variable valve timing using a PCM that never had that capability? There are tons of Coyote swaps running around in older Mustangs etc, so it seems like somebody has it figured out.

JBasham
JBasham Reader
12/15/17 2:18 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
JBasham said:

The Internet is just a contrary place...

It's a powerful motor in a small package so I can see why it's so popular.  Personally if I wanted to go that way I would just buy the C5 and start enjoying the motor at the track immediately.

. . . .

The big downside to LS swaps is the "why not get a Corvette?" question. As if the engine becomes the single defining feature of any car it's in. Do Coyote swappers get told they should have just bought a Mustang GT? I doubt it somehow.

Dang, Keith, I need to stop and just say this:  I think of your motor-swapped beauties as RICH man's Corvettes! 

Generally, I think of high-mile used C5s as The Answer of track cars, no disrespect to the glory of the Mazdas.  The Chevy is not quite my zip code in terms of individual expression and personal freedom.  It's just the easy button.  Cheap speed and a good handle, widely available, and you can sell it easy if you get tired of it. 

I guess I would have to say, I think of LS swaps as rich man's motor swaps, because they're what all the cool kids use.  I am most definitely not a cool guy.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
12/15/17 6:03 p.m.
STM317 said:
Opti said:

What's the issue? Trying to control an engine with variable valve timing using a PCM that never had that capability? There are tons of Coyote swaps running around in older Mustangs etc, so it seems like somebody has it figured out.

It’s not that they can’t make them run in a swap, it’s that they won’t deliver maximum horsepower  without spending big money.

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
12/15/17 6:50 p.m.

You can squeeze one into an e36. I wish there were photos showing how tight it is, but photobucket sucks. This one is a truck 5.0 which may explain his 336whp. The nice thing is that he's using the TR3650 which I prefer greatly to the T56 for it's longer throws and smoother shifting. 

STM317
STM317 Dork
12/15/17 7:01 p.m.
racerfink said:
STM317 said:
Opti said:

It’s not that they can’t make them run in a swap, it’s that they won’t deliver maximum horsepower  without spending big money.

So what's the hang up? And what's the big money solution that unlocks everything?

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
12/16/17 12:04 p.m.

The 4.4L DOHC BMW swap into the E36 chassis is fairly common.....motor similar in size to the Coyote.  The brake booster area is tight even with an LS -- most go to hydro-boost for brakes.  But man - to swap in a Coyote and then almost get your ass handed to you by a 4 door pickup.....

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
12/16/17 12:39 p.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

That is fantastic!!!!  

Opti
Opti HalfDork
12/16/17 2:50 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

I assume ford finally released a controller, like the small ecoboosts, and its probably around 1500.

I think a couple years ago the issue with trying to use the oem pcms is they started doing goofy stuff when they werent getting signals from all of the other modules from the original car.

Im not a ford guy, this is all speculation and foggy 2 year old memories.

3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KbqJllLXlGXJgYX5KJYAObRFpXXe8jKvO0ZuT6WduZNjQW2Xmsw3Q7JmK0d30XmD