1 2
kb58
kb58 Dork
8/17/17 3:19 p.m.
WildScotsRacing wrote: In reply to kb58: Would you mind explaining/describing the collector design/function in the top photo? It is very interesting looking.

It's a slip-on collector. I don't remember where I got it, but it started life as a simple tube section which the mfg jammed into/onto some sort of mandrel, forming it into a collector. I had to use this type because I welded the center part of the primaries from the inside - couldn't do that with a proper 4-1 collector that have four separate tubes merged to one.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
8/17/17 3:46 p.m.

All I can say is: Make sure you can actually get fastener in there to attach them. Make sure you can actually get at the spark plugs. Make sure you can actually access sensors, starters, accessories, etc. for serviceability.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/17/17 4:00 p.m.

I don't know if anybody has posted this yet, but there always the Header design info pack. I haven't spoken to him in years, but he sure seemed to know what he was doing

kb58
kb58 Dork
8/17/17 4:12 p.m.

Hah, I got that info and listened to it a million times. I think what he said was very true, back in the 1960s to maybe the 1980s, but around then mfgs started figuring it out. Newer cars have far better headers right out the door, and if they aren't, it's because anything better won't fix. (I did enjoy his Minnesooota accent, don't you know.)

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
8/17/17 9:20 p.m.

Trick Tools The right tools will ease the pain of tubing assembly. These will help.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
8/17/17 9:20 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH:

That was me, thanks!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HVKOasQNYzFnERsQYNfaGMCWXm08CmJZV2j2FQAUxpXXbjwHtQddsOAW49S7jtk7