nocones
nocones UltraDork
10/16/17 10:38 p.m.

Autox this weekend and the MG finally didn't finish an event.  And it was pretty big failure.  The diff mount arm cracked off of the housing.  

Looking for a replacement.  It's a torsen from a 1996 M edition.  I think ideally I would find the "stronger" RX7 housing but I would take anything to get it back going.  I'm going to talk to a local guy about welding and reinforcing it but we have an event it 4 weeks and want to try to get it ready.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/16/17 10:44 p.m.

You don't need a Torsen housing. Any rear end housing from a non-MSM 1.8 will do the trick. Even the MSM might.

But I'd probably weld it if you have a guy.

nocones
nocones UltraDork
10/16/17 10:54 p.m.

Is this breakage relatively common or is it a sign I have something flexing that shouldn't be?  

Thanks for the tip I wasn't sure which ones I could use.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
10/16/17 11:11 p.m.

I have an open diff (complete) from my 97 in Lexington KY if you want it.  But if your guy can weld aluminum......

And no, they shouldn't be breaking.  But when you're dealing with 20 year old hardware, still happens.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/16/17 11:25 p.m.

They're actually designed to break off one arm - there's a notch in it. It's a crash safety thing. They have been known to break under hard use but I'd make sure the nose is well supported. Also, consider going to rubber bushings instead of poly so they can flex.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
10/17/17 4:37 a.m.

The reason the RX-7 unit is better is because, since it doesn't have a PPF to connect the rearend to the engine, it doesn't have the notch.

nocones
nocones UltraDork
10/17/17 6:21 a.m.

In reply to KyAllroad :

I tried to PM you.  I may actually be in Lexington Friday.  Send me a message with details about what you would want for the diff if that works for you.   Nocones_625 at yahoo.com

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
10/17/17 7:53 a.m.

email sent

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Dork
10/17/17 10:56 a.m.

If you still need a housing i'm pretty sure I have one in my basement. Let me know. 

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
10/20/17 9:20 a.m.

Due to life demands I missed meeting the infamous Nocones by just a few minutes.  But I scored some good beer out of the deal and it feels good to know that a small part of my old car will live on in such a cool ride.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8kPB9Cged9vy1EvEGXTr35GyFw3hfv9tE0bCz04mSJIrjBnIQF7Q89qOpZnJVepy